• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is TV Almost Worthless?

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes? No?

It's very rare that I find something on TV that's worth watching. I usually end up watching local TV or weird ass, alternative channels up in the 9000s.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
There's still great NEW stuff out there - The Office, Scrubs, House, .... i still love the rediculousness of Adult Swim evne though they play that King ofthe Hill crap!

The thing is TV has to compete with so many different alternates to entertainment that it's really taxed how much those companies can allocate towards new/good shows...... the most popular TV shows out there are reruns of old syndications, afterall. The best way for a network to nap a large population of viewers is to just play another rerun of Fresh Prince or Seinfeld....

Also, if you think TV is just for entertainment, try turning on the History channel or PBS sometimes. They don't always play "gold standard" kind of intellectual material, but sometimes.....

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You have too many channels, that's all. At some point all those options = boredom with all options.

pardo

MBTI Type
istp
almost totally worthless.
harmful (source of disinformation in form of masked political propaganda).

S

Sniffles

Pretty much so. Most of what I still watch are EWTN(Catholic TV) along with history and book discussion programs on C-SPAN.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Probably but anything that brings me football each and every week through rain, hail or shine has my love and loyalty, everything else on there I could live without, football is pretty much the only thing I turn it on for these days.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
seems pretty useful to me. i enjoy a wide variety of television shows. my brain may be rotting, but i am entertained.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
My tv only gets used to watch an hour or two of Fox most days. ... That's all. Pretty damn useless.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
For me, it's pretty useful because I can keep abreast of the latest news in my country. The news stations have websites but I like to hear the news on TV..they're much shorter and direct whereas in the websites they're more elaborate.

Well, I do find the TV boring sometimes, especially if I don't like the shows. Too much soap dramas..hate them.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't watch T.V. any more. It's been 16 months since I gave up, and I didn't really watch it before that.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the golden age of television.

Never before has TV been this interesting, complex, and exciting.

bananafish

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I only watch TV when someone drags me to it. Dang Fe. :/

Although I don't think it's totally worthless.
The Discovery Channel is wonderful.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it is. I haven't watched TV in about a year, the internet is just that good.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
`

Re-runs are about the only things worth watching these days, 80's, 90's and
very early 2000's. About the only new things I watch are soaps and Medium.
I don't mind a few cartoons here and there like South Park, Futurama, Family
Guy, American Dad and Pinky and The Brain/Animaniacs and the classic nick-
elodeon like Rocko's Modern Life...and some sitcoms like Friends or Malcom In
The Middle, Home Improvement and Goerge Lopez. And youtube...salvation
when its in a time frame of the day when whats on tv surprisingly doesn't ma-
ke the satellite its sent through blow up from imbecile overload.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watch the history channel and Animal Planet and the cooking/house shows, and BBC America, and movies, and re-runs ... it's not bad.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
The tv is far inferior in contrast to the WWW for entertainment and information.. basically it's largely quite useless when it comes to content... however occasionally there is the entertaining show.. the historical/political documentery, or the film that is not available on the net.. scarcely poping up now and then.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't think that TV itself is worthless but I do think that some of the programes are... Media is a great way to get information, inspiration and ideas out to the masses. It connects us all and somehow levels the playing field. I find it amazing that a person who has received little education and has no hope of doing so can indeed tune into programes that are made by some of the great minds to communicate their field of interest and their ideas to the masses. I love that...:D:D:D:D hey why bother going to school when you can watch the discovery channel from the comfort of you arm chair, scoffing oreos :D