• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need a sci-fi fix

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'll throw in my plug for the podcast world: The Rookie by Scott Sigler. It's about future inter-galactic pro (American style) football. I'm not a football fan, but it was still a fun listen. And it's free. Unless you want to buy the print version from Amazon.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not even the biggest Sci-Fi fan (I didn't really care for Babylon 5 or Lost for example), but I thought Firefly was da bomb. I wouldn't say Firefly is good sci-fi, I'd say it's just plain good (regardless of what genres you like). Serenity wasn't bad either.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not even the biggest Sci-Fi fan (I didn't really care for Babylon 5 or Lost for example), but I thought Firefly was da bomb. I wouldn't say Firefly is good sci-fi, I'd say it's just plain good (regardless of what genres you like). Serenity wasn't bad either.

Well, Firefly did have good sci -- no sound in space. Serenity was clever by having the space battle take place inside a big cloud -- though I guess that was a way to cheat and make the battle more interesting. The only other movie I know of that dared to do that was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

You know a good sci-fi movie that I thought was horribly underrated was Mission to Mars. People hate that movie for some reason, but I thought it was thought provoking and had believable, if not realistic, science.

Starship Troopers is also another one of my favorites. Both the book and the movie were good in their own ways.

Another movie that was quite good was A Sound of Thunder. Sure, the special effects sucked along with other filmmaking qualities, but the film had a great idea, courtesy of Ray Bradbury...though maybe you should stick to the short story?

And technically all movies are fantasy because they're not real.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I went and got Firefly and Sunshine. When the opportunity presents itself I will definitely pick up some Phillip K. Dick stories. (I've actually been meaning to do that, it's just been one of those things where people keep reminding me and then I keep forgetting whenever I find myself at the bookstore.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was gonna see Sunshine, but around here, it's only in limited release. I'll have to wait for video.

There were only three Philip K. Dick stories that made good movies -- Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report. I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly, yet, but I'm waiting for it on Netflix.

The original Stargate movie was fantastic and highly underrated. Pity it got clouded by cheap TV shows. Of course, I also liked Independence Day and, dare I say it, Godzilla (1998 version) wasn't too abysmal, either.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Oh, but the very first "Godzilla" was a classic. Nothing beats it for cheesy monster movie mayhem. I constructed a papier-mache Godzilla in art class in honor of that film. And later, an even better clay model.

Not sure why, but as a child, I related to Godzilla in some strange visceral way.

Mercurial

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w6
Oh, but the very first "Godzilla" was a classic. Nothing beats it for cheesy monster movie mayhem. I constructed a papier-mache Godzilla in art class in honor of that film. And later, an even better clay model.

Not sure why, but as a child, I related to Godzilla in some strange visceral way.

[temporarily has the IQ of burnt toast after reading this]:wubbie:

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Glad to see my Godzillian Atomic Breath didn't burn your toast, too, Uberfuhrer. I'd hate to ruin everybody's breakfast. ;)

O

Oberon

Babylon 5 had its moments. If you could grit your teeth through the first season, it started to get good. The character development of G'Kar and Londo Mollari (during which they transition from bitter enemies to friends) is good, good TV.

And I never thought I'd use that phrase.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about Farscape? Or as I call it, The Muppet Show in space!

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
"Farscape" was one of my favorites: sexy and quirky--a killer combination. Too bad they had to rush through the ending storyline, but I felt that the ending of "Babylon 5" was wrapped up a bit hastily, too.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Babylon 5 had its moments. If you could grit your teeth through the first season, it started to get good. The character development of G'Kar and Londo Mollari (during which they transition from bitter enemies to friends) is good, good TV.

And I never thought I'd use that phrase.

"Babylon 5 you are an interesting TV show with a lot of wonderful qualities, but I am just not looking for that kind of commitment in a TV show at this point in my life. It's not you. It's me. I know there are plenty of other people out there that will want to watch you. I know you are a deep TV show and take some time getting accustomed to, but right now I am looking for a TV show that can give me cheep thrills and a lot of laughs without much commitment. Please don't take this as rejection Babylon 5, because you have a whole lot to offer other people."

:happy:

Mendacity

Mycroft, if you're still interested in sci-fi book suggestions, you might pick up some William Gibson, Neal Stephenson (especially Snow Crash), some Ursula K. LeGuin, Frank Herbert if you haven't already read him and Harlan Ellison. It may not really fall under the sci-fi category but Neal Gaiman is one of my personal favorites. :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh what the hell, everyone else seems to be grave robbing. I guess I'll dig in, too.

Another good Philip K. Dick story-turned-movie was Next. I enjoyed it quite a bit.