User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'll throw in my plug for the podcast world: The Rookie by Scott Sigler. It's about future inter-galactic pro (American style) football. I'm not a football fan, but it was still a fun listen. And it's free. Unless you want to buy the print version from Amazon.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Yep those are good ones, too, Uber.

And then there are the classics... Babylon 5 was one of my all time faves.
    I have all of those on DVD....

Well, someone lost one of my season one discs.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not even the biggest Sci-Fi fan (I didn't really care for Babylon 5 or Lost for example), but I thought Firefly was da bomb. I wouldn't say Firefly is good sci-fi, I'd say it's just plain good (regardless of what genres you like). Serenity wasn't bad either.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I'm not even the biggest Sci-Fi fan (I didn't really care for Babylon 5 or Lost for example), but I thought Firefly was da bomb. I wouldn't say Firefly is good sci-fi, I'd say it's just plain good (regardless of what genres you like). Serenity wasn't bad either.
    Well, Firefly did have good sci -- no sound in space. Serenity was clever by having the space battle take place inside a big cloud -- though I guess that was a way to cheat and make the battle more interesting. The only other movie I know of that dared to do that was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

You know a good sci-fi movie that I thought was horribly underrated was Mission to Mars. People hate that movie for some reason, but I thought it was thought provoking and had believable, if not realistic, science.

Starship Troopers is also another one of my favorites. Both the book and the movie were good in their own ways.

Another movie that was quite good was A Sound of Thunder. Sure, the special effects sucked along with other filmmaking qualities, but the film had a great idea, courtesy of Ray Bradbury...though maybe you should stick to the short story?

And technically all movies are fantasy because they're not real.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I went and got Firefly and Sunshine. When the opportunity presents itself I will definitely pick up some Phillip K. Dick stories. (I've actually been meaning to do that, it's just been one of those things where people keep reminding me and then I keep forgetting whenever I find myself at the bookstore.)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I was gonna see Sunshine, but around here, it's only in limited release. I'll have to wait for video.

There were only three Philip K. Dick stories that made good movies -- Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Minority Report. I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly, yet, but I'm waiting for it on Netflix.

The original Stargate movie was fantastic and highly underrated. Pity it got clouded by cheap TV shows. Of course, I also liked Independence Day and, dare I say it, Godzilla (1998 version) wasn't too abysmal, either.

MBTI
    INXP

Oh, but the very first "Godzilla" was a classic. Nothing beats it for cheesy monster movie mayhem. I constructed a papier-mache Godzilla in art class in honor of that film. And later, an even better clay model.

Not sure why, but as a child, I related to Godzilla in some strange visceral way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w6

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Oh, but the very first "Godzilla" was a classic. Nothing beats it for cheesy monster movie mayhem. I constructed a papier-mache Godzilla in art class in honor of that film. And later, an even better clay model.

Not sure why, but as a child, I related to Godzilla in some strange visceral way.
    [temporarily has the IQ of burnt toast after reading this]

MBTI
    INXP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

And the 1998 Godzilla was good in its own way.