User Tag List

First 123 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I love you, Tim Roth, but your show sucks.
    Yeah, why did fox rip off their own show?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by charme View Post
    Jane is ENTP, not INFJ.
    I am INFJ and drawn to ENTP, which is a "natural partner" for an INFJ. At one time I too thought the character was INFJ--but no--ENTP.
    Hahaha, again, another argument for ENTP without any justification for it. Mine still carries more weight. Come up with an argument before you write in. Please attempt to prove me wrong using evidence from the show to support your answer.

(I should've been a teacher)
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

"Don't let what matters least, matter most."

Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

MBTI
    infj

Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    Hahaha, again, another argument for ENTP without any justification for it. Mine still carries more weight. Come up with an argument before you write in. Please attempt to prove me wrong using evidence from the show to support your answer.

(I should've been a teacher)

Sorry. I didn’t realize a well-written reply was required before writing in. My hunch and opinion is Jane is entp. He presents that way to me, but he is a fictional character, so we’ll never know for sure…unless the writer tells us one way or another. The character attracted me and I like him, so I wanted to think he was like me—infj. But, he’s different in a lot of ways. He is similar to my entp male friends. Mentally quick and scarily accurate in their ability to understand a situation or a person. I, too, have that ability, but I’m not as quick to act. My tendency is to ponder and ruminate over what-I-know-I-know. Jane acts quickly. He knows what he knows and acts.
    I did not see the first few episodes of The Mentalist, but from what I understand, Jane had a shady past. I saw a flashback episode and his scamming behavior reminds of specific entps that I know. Also, his open pleasure (his smiley face) when “bad” guys are busted, isn’t much like how I would respond. (Sorry, to keep using myself as an example, but I’m the only infj that I know. Sad, huh?) I tend to have fantasies about bringing bad guys to justice, but knowing me and my experience with catching people in the wrong (to a much lesser degree than the crimes that are on The Mentalist), I can’t feel great pleasure in their undoing. I feel sadness for them and for their choices and their past that led them to wrong actions. Anyway, I am rambling now. I do not have time to write up an argument—or choose not to take the time. I’m picky about each word that I use when writing, and I can’t be stressed about that right now. Actually, I don’t have an argument…this is just what I think.
    Oh, one other thing—an “infj” thing about Jane. His escape to the couch to sleep/mediate. Very infj. Except his couch is out in the open, surrounded by others.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

Well, I applaud your attempt, it being your second post and all, yet there's little validity to your misgivings about Jane being INFJ. Random experiential info based solely on yourself holds little weight when discussing types. Example, my friends like that, so he's like that, or I'm not like that, so he's not like that, which has very little to do with typology.

My ENTP friends are usually really quick about facts and thoughts, but far from it when it comes to relationships, people, and feelings; yet I'd only use that to corroborate existing facts of ENTP's after I've made a point, and not concrete evidence in itself.

ENTP's and INFJ's complete each others existential gaps, yet dominant Ne with secondary Ti outweighing dominant Ni with secondary Fe? No way. ENTP's are BIG IDEA people and need a concrete vision to slay away at, a Mentalist working for CBI to catch your loved ones killer, does not add up to ENTP in my mind.

Dominant Ni (INFJ)

Introverted intuitives, INFJs enjoy a greater clarity of perception of inner, unconscious processes than all but their INTJ cousins. Just as SP types commune with the object and "live in the here and now" of the physical world, INFJs readily grasp the hidden psychological stimuli behind the more observable dynamics of behavior and affect. Their amazing ability to deduce the inner workings of the mind, will and emotions of others gives INFJs their reputation as prophets and seers. Unlike the confining, routinizing nature of introverted sensing, introverted intuition frees this type to act insightfully and spontaneously as unique solutions arise on an event by event basis.

Dominant Ne (ENTP)

ENTPs are nothing if not unique. Brave new associations flow freely from the unconscious into the world of the living. Making, discovering and developing connections between and among two or more of anything is virtually automatic. The product of intuition is merely an icon of process; ENTPs are in the business of change, improvement, experimentation.

The attraction Extraverted iNtuition has toward the real and physical amounts to a cosmic non sequitur: theory is drawn to practice. Such encounters are clearly puzzling. Both parties--the intuitor and the realist--are aware of a xenic quality in their meeting, with reactions ranging from recoil to reverie.

Do Patrick Jane's answers and deductions seem chaotic and puzzling, even to himself (ENTP), or are they precise, specific and premeditated (INFJ) in the end?

This is the main difference here, the Ne versus Ni differentiation. Ne is making it up as he goes along, whereas Ni knows very clearly from the start. The more I go over the types, the more clearly Patrick Jane falls into INFJ.

8w9 EIE

MBTI
    infj

Well, Paisley, I probably don’t belong here (either) if it’s unacceptable to share thoughts and gut feelings without a neatly verbalized post, complete with cut/paste information and “facts”. If that’s required, I get enough of that in my work with my concrete, literal-thinking, and fact-loving co-workers. I will look elsewhere.

(btw, I am new, but I do understand dominate Ni belonging to INFJ—thanks for the explanation, but I’m not that unaware)

Long live The Mentalist! I’ll be enjoying it from where I am…and hope you will as well, Paisley.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

My post was an invitation for more discussion, not a put down. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts, not less, I even asked some questions to get your view on it. It's a great show, and I'm all caught up on what's happened this season, haven't missed an episode. If you feel slighted, I'm only arguing your LOGIC not who you ARE.

I have a bunch of concrete literal thinking fact loving co-workers and it drives me nuts too!!! I hear ya. On the forums, I like to debate the logic of the points though, more to correct and sharpen my own thinking than yours. So, by all means, feel free to continue the discourse, it's good to hear from you.

8w9 EIE

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None

Why do you like Lie to Me better, and what's your mbti type?

8w9 EIE

Riva

Patrick is a INFJ.
    He analyzes situations and closes cases based on people's personalities. He reads people like reading a book.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I actually think Lightman is ISTP, he's far too unpredictable to be an ISTJ. ISTJs are essentially built in the mold of a Swiss watch.

Jane, I think, is a former ENTP turned into an INFJ shell of his former self by his wife's death and his desire for revenge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Phantonym

Alrighty then, I just started to watch The Mentalist (sorry, I'm not going to say anything about Lie to Me). I'm not really that interested in typing the characters at this point but I was wondering, is it just me, or does anybody else find the show completely predictable? Don't get me wrong, I love crime shows, can't get enough of them, and while I do enjoy watching the show, it's simply...not that interesting to watch when it comes to the clues and "who did it", it's like a kid's jigsaw puzzle. I keep watching in hopes that it will get better. I feel a bit disappointed, to be honest, but it really bothers me enough to come and whine about it on an Internet forum.