User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Anime and cartoons

I've never outgrown them. If I'm watching TV then chances are that I'm watching Cartoon Network. Is that an NF thing? I've noticed a lot of NFs and even some NTs running around with anime or cartoon avatars.

I also noticed how cartoons are changing. When I was a kid, Beavis and Butthead, The Simpsons, and Ren and Stimpy were the shows that were pushing the envelope. Now shows like South Park and Family Guy blow those out of the water by using shock value to pull in ratings. Even innocent cartoon shows like Ed, Edd, and Eddy shamelessly use sexual innuendo. So much toilet humor on TV these days, you have wonder if it is decaying the minds of America's youth. Spongebob, another Ren and Stimpy spin off, seemed to be extremely popular for awhile even though it was nothing more than classic slapstick.

Anime has exploded in America since the days of Voltron and Dragonball. Shows like Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, and Trinity Blood are much more tuned to adult taste than children's taste. And it seems if you want the good ol' cliche moral endings, you almost have to have a child watch anime versus modern American cartoons. (Disney aside of course)

So who here still likes animation and who here now thinks that I'm weird?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really like most modern cartoons. I mostly like the older ones. My favorites are:

The Magic School Bus

SatAM (Sonic The Hedgehog)

Bugs Bunny

Pokemon (First few seasons)

Tom & Jerry

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh, I'm the same way, Kiddo. If I'm watching TV, it'll usually be something cool on the Discovery Channel or something on Cartoon Network. I'm such a kid. My tastes are about the same as they were when I was seven.

But I'll be damned if I let that little kid running around playing in my head die!

But I'll be damned if I let that little kid running around playing in my head die!
    Me too! I love some of the cartoons on Cartoon Network. Futurama is one of my favorites, and I liked the first few seasons of InuYasha (then they sort of got diluted). You know what really made me love anime? Sailor Moon! There have to be some SM fans out there. I still love SM.

Haha, DBZ is still awesome! I just bought the Saiyan saga on DVD. Next I want the Frieza season (or whatever it's called). DBZ rules. I wish CN still ran the good old seasons.

Hmm, what else? I REALLY like King of the Hill. The Simpsons is good. Family Guy is good sometimes, and other times it's flat.

Oh! I grew up loving Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, and the Rugrats. Those were so good. I bet I'd STILL like them.

Never-Neverland, here I come!

I've never outgrown them.
    Oh, and if it's any consolation, I still love most Disney Movies, and some of the non-Disney feature-length animated films. Titan A.E., anyone? Hmmm... I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Love 'em, old and new. A bunch of the "older" cartoons mentioned in this thread came out when I was an older teen or an adult. Sigh. I guess this happens to everyone.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    xNFJ

Cartoons I currently watch:

Ed, Edd and Eddy
    Spongebob Squarepants
    Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
    Futurama
    South Park

My INTJ dad (probably N, definitely T) used to watch the Simpsons, but other than that won't give them a chance. Ts seem more likely to watch anime though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't watch a lot of TV and if I'm watching, it's usually my Friday night line up of Monk, Psych, and house, but I do still like and will watch cartoons.

Modern cartoons I like:
    • Kim Possible
    • Fairly Odd Parents
    • Dexter's Lab
    • Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
    • Jimmy Neutron

I get a kick out of Duck Dodgers when it's on Boomerang.

I like a lot of other kids shows, too, but my kids have outgrown Arthur and Blue's Clues and VeggieTales. I was never particularly fond of Thomas the Tank Engine, so I'm not sorry to see that one go.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    So who here still likes animation and who here now thinks that I'm weird?
    I still like cartoons, and some of my long term friends like it more.

Mostly Animé. I still like the kid-stuff too, I actually regularly watch One Piece (targeted at 7 y-olds?). The wonders of having a DVR.

My little bro. has a lot of this stuff downloaded. It is one of the few interests we have in common.

EDIT: Would it be too weird to say I have been fixated when watching Blues Clues with some friends' kids?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    EDIT: Would it be too weird to say I have been fixated when watching Blues Clues with some friends' kids?
    It depends. Was the human Steve or Joe, the impostor?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    It depends. Was the human Steve or Joe, the impostor?
    Don't know. I only saw it once. I'm not sure they mentioned his name. It was a brown haired guy.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield