• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bret and Jemaine

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think Bret's INFP Jemaine and Murray I don't know so don't look at me :ninja:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm not convinced.

How are they both so obviously N, I want specifics?

Hanging out with the wacky 'Flight of the Conchords' - CNN.com

^ That might be the closest I've seen them to being out of character.

- When they answer most of the questions, they respond to the implied questions rather than the questions themselves.

- Listen to the way Bret responds to the question about their popularity. You can almost see his N wandering around. I watched that interview with an S friend, and he felt like his answer had nothing to do with the question he was asked.

- Contrast them with the third producer, James Bobin. He follows a clear, linear S path of thought.

- There's a reason there are stereotypes about INxx being awkward. Come on ... Jemaine could not possibly be anything else.

I don't have any more specific thoughts other than Jemaine = INxx /Bret = xNxP.

maliafee

Srsly. N!!!
Have you ever watched that show with an S?
They're like WTF is this shit?
Meanwhile, I'm almost unconscious from laughing.

Just shows that you don't know enough S's. I know ESFJs, ISFJs, and ISFPs who love the show (including me!!!).

I think N's underestimate S's.

maliafee

- When they answer most of the questions, they respond to the implied questions rather than the questions themselves.

- Listen to the way Bret responds to the question about their popularity. You can almost see his N wandering around. I watched that interview with an S friend, and he felt like his answer had nothing to do with the question he was asked.

- Contrast them with the third producer, James Bobin. He follows a clear, linear S path of thought.

I'm sorry, but sometimes ISFPs jump from thing to thing, all over the place, because in their heads it follows a clear line even if no one else can understand that. That's why ISFPs' behavior can seem original, weird, and erratic at times.

- There's a reason there are stereotypes about INxx being awkward. Come on ... Jemaine could not possibly be anything else.

No? ISFJs can act awkward like that...

My opinion is:

Jemaine: ISFJ
Bret: ISFP or INFP

Also:

Something I haven't heard mentioned; how the sets (their apartment, etc.) are decorated in a very aesthetically pleasing manner. Young S's in the Indie scene are all over that kind of style -- lots of textures and fabrics and interesting wall paper, rich color, everything combined brightly and pleasingly with a vintage feel. Both Bret and Jemaine dress sharper and more stylishly (their style is NOT weird and off beat, in fact it's very typical of the indie scene for the last 10 years) than most N's I've ever met.
Both those things point to S.

But if they're N's that's fine, too. I just don't understand the N bias here. It's a little... frankly almost insulting.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
They don't have anything to do with the set design. They've said this in interview. The other producer (James Bobin) has control of that.

Jemaine (in real life) seems to put some effort into his clothes. But Bret just wears the same things over and over again, his clothes rarely fit, and that beard has a tendency to go nuts.

Re: The N bias ... I have plenty of S friends, and I know plenty of S's who watch the show. But I still do not think they are S's. James Bobin probably is though.

Also, N does not = poor dresser.

maliafee

Never said N = poor dresser. :D Whoops, if that's what I implied. But S's are typically more concerned with being stylish and in fashion. I know many stylish N's (especially INFJs and INTPs, from my experience).

Fair enough that they don't do the set design or anything. But I do still see N bias in these forums quite often... :p It makes me think that some people might assume a lot of things about S's that are unfair or assume they are shallow or stupid because they are S's. I'm not saying that's YOU. But the bias implies this at times. So I got a little eh, touchy. Haha. Sooooorrry! :>)

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Never said N = poor dresser. :D Whoops, if that's what I implied. But S's are typically more concerned with being stylish and in fashion. I know many stylish N's (especially INFJs and INTPs, from my experience).

Fair enough that they don't do the set design or anything. But I do still see N bias in these forums quite often... :p It makes me think that some people might assume a lot of things about S's that are unfair or assume they are shallow or stupid because they are S's. I'm not saying that's YOU. But the bias implies this at times. So I got a little eh, touchy. Haha. Sooooorrry! :>)

It's no problem. Some of the most intelligent, talented people I know are S-types. Their ability to focus is breath-taking.

I really do think the other producer/writer could be responsible for many of the S-influences you're observing. But he's not as well known as Bret and Jemaine, so he's not mentioned as much.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Haha, you ascribe some pretty arbitrary stuff to N, they were being playful with the implied meanings of the questions, being playful is hardly exclusive, or even typical of Ns. Linear S line of thought? Haha! Most NTs have a much more linear line of thought than I'll ever have, I for example am an Fi dom, with Se and tertiary Ni, my mind bounces all over the place "linear lines of thought" are the last thing on the mind of this S. Awkward? Any type can be awkward, I'm socially very awkward, there are Ss who are physically awkward.

I think you're thinking of type as too black and white, you're disregarding tertiary functions and different patterns of development. Sorry to dump this on you, it's not really targeted at you, I'm just tired of people thinking of all Ss as a very simplistic version of SJ.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
But you're not giving any specific reasons why you think they're S's.

maliafee has offered evidence. The set design thing turned out not to be valid, but Jemaine's style of dress is still on the table.

Why specifically do you think they are S's and not Ns? (emphasis on why they aren't N's)

wolfy

awsm
Haha, you ascribe some pretty arbitrary stuff to N, they were being playful with the implied meanings of the questions, being playful is hardly exclusive, or even typical of Ns. Linear S line of thought? Haha! Most NTs have a much more linear line of thought than I'll ever have, I for example am an Fi dom, with Se and tertiary Ni, my mind bounces all over the place "linear lines of thought" are the last thing on the mind of this S. Awkward? Any type can be awkward, I'm socially very awkward, there are Ss who are physically awkward.

I think you're thinking of type as too black and white, you're disregarding tertiary functions and different patterns of development. Sorry to dump this on you, it's not really targeted at you, I'm just tired of people thinking of all Ss as a very simplistic version of SJ.

You know you're right. I'm forever getting in trouble for answering implied questions. Moving laterally with the question in my head.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
And before this comes up, I do not consider "S until proven N" to be valid here. They have one of the most innovative shows on television. Why would the automatic assumption be for them to be S's?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
And before this comes up, I do not consider "S until proven N" to be valid here. They have one of the most innovative shows on television. Why would the automatic assumption be for them to be S's?

Given that the OP wanted us to type Murray as well suggests that the purpose of the thread is to type the characters not the actors/writers. I fully believe that they are Ns in true life but I'm staying with ISFP and ISTP, respectively, for Bret and Jemaine.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Given that the OP wanted us to type Murray as well suggests that the purpose of the thread is to type the characters not the actors/writers. I fully believe that they are Ns in true life but I'm staying with ISFP and ISTP, respectively, for Bret and Jemaine.

Well, yeah.

My post wasn't in response to the OP, but a response to the response to my saying "The real people are obviously Ns."

I think the characters are probably ISTx and INFP. ... I'd say ISFP, but he seems incredibly out of touch with reality. IxFP, then?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Why specifically do you think they are S's and not Ns? (emphasis on why they aren't N's)

I don't think they're Ss, well I'm not really sure I think Bret might be ISFP and Jermaine _NTP.

I'm just questioning the thought process of saying there is no possibility of them being Ss.

I think it's a good rule, particularly around here where people seem to get N fever, so being innovative rules out Ss?

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOcE_f_IgNs"]Love Song For Coco[/YOUTUBE]

^ This seems like such an INFx thing to do.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think it's a good rule, particularly around here where people seem to get N fever, so being innovative rules out Ss?

Innovation does not rule out S's, but they are obviously reluctant to try things in a new way. If they weren't inclined this way, they wouldn't be S's.