123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Ne

Default FAVORITE SCARY MOVIES :)

what's your favorite horror flick? :eek:

for whatever reason

it could be because it gave you mind-numbing chills, and you couldn't sleep for weeks....
    or because of the beautiful cinematography....
    or because of a deeper meaning that left you thinking....
    or because it was just so completely terrible that you keeled over laughing !!!

some of my recent favorites....

i love the SAW series, because it's not the typical horror film (i mean, it is in some respects... blood and guts and creepy situations, etc) but the premise is so different than most. it's not a mindless psychopath out to murder random bimbos, or a ghosty presence wreaking havoc in ironically peaceful suburbia.... i love the idea of the slightly twisted but essentially good-natured genius Jigsaw, setting up elaborately horrifying traps and situations meant, in essence, to test--not kill--the victims in order to better their lives in the end. the idea of a "serial killer" who never literally kills. hmm. (and also, the graphics, gore and traps are just classic. horrifically beautiful and visually enticing. these movies might push some over the edge... i'll admit the grossout factor is pretty outstanding... but i just love that stuff haha i know, i'm weird)

the ring was a good jumpy movie, with an awesome storyline and some cool twists way creepy

the strangers.... i love the blunt, un-cliche-ness of this movie. it's hard to say "it's okay, it's only a movie" to this one. the idea of being murdered is scary enough, but most movies cushion it with the assurance of being safe because you haven't wronged a psychopath.... you aren't alone in a dark alley... you aren't possessed by satan..... the strangers is a nice freaky film because it gives the idea that you can be murdered out of pure coincidence. just "because you were home"

the others: love it because of the sheer suspense and confusion! the twist in the end was awesome!!

share your thoughts, fellow TC'ers..... your terrifying, gut wrenching, skin-crawling, night light-seeking, scream wielding thoughts.

MBTI
    INFP

The Shining

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not sure if you'd class it as horror, but it's certainly one of the most frightening and disturbing films I've ever seen:

Ghosts... of the Civil Dead (1988)

From IMDB:

"As other reviewers have all said, this film by John Hillcoat, is extremely disturbing and scary portrait of society and prison. The film is located in maximum security modern prison in which all the most dangerous criminals and psychopaths are locked in. There are no "heroic" characters and everyone is bad and rotten inside. They who want to get rid of it, commit a suicide and thus get a peace to their soul. Very pessimistic and provoking cinema, and should be seen by all politicians and "leaders."

The film portrays a society in its collapsing point in which government's attempts to turn things into better fail miserably, and nobody heals in this sick and mean spirited world we live in. There is a need for violence and violation, but nobody knows why. It feels good to kill someone and kick others to pieces. The wicked core of human nature should be exterminated but it is not possible, because the "good" are actually as bad inside as the people behind the bars. The wardens are no better than the inmates and no one is safe in the prison. The theme of Ghosts..is wickedness and total depravity which seems not to have any limits. The sadistic events in the prison in the name of justice only give new reasons for violence and mayhem. The last image of the film tells it all, and is very frightening. A man is now ready to return to society as a healed criminal....or maybe not.

Nick Cave plays here one of the most evil and dangerous devils ever captured on film. He is total psychopath who has no motivations or reasons, only rage, anger and need for blood (even his own.) It is scary to see this kind of characters in film, because we look at the mirror while seeing the film. This really happens and exists and the character of Cave can be seen also as a symbol to be interpreted.

Very frightening "prison" movie and pessimistic nihilism. So don't try to watch if you prefer nice and entertaining movies. Demanding cinema and won't leave the viewer alone very easily."

MBTI
    TRUE

Closetland, Conspiracy, the Hannibal Lector series, and to a lesser extent, based on the ending, Joe. The scary movie genre will often startle, but most will lack the plausible reality able to frighten. Seems likely the Saw series could be added to the list, but they'll have to wait until I can't think of anything better to watch.
    Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lasting_Pain

American Psycho is hands down one of the best scariest movies.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Silent Hill is an old favorite of mine. I was scared, as a kid, of people under the stairs, even though that wasn't exactly a scary movie.

I LOVED the shining!!

I'm going to have to watch the strangers now that this occurred.. but I LOVE scary movies that leave you feeling vulnerable in the end. Because that's what it's all about.

I have high hopes for The Haunting in Connecticut or whatever it is. Quarantine I thought was an okay more realistic approach to the zombie movies.. Dawn of the Dead rocked I thought.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was a good one as well. I liked the Ring, and I liked the Grudge because they introduced a sort of new way of being creepy and scary.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Quarantine
    Was a horrible movie. Angela Vidal needs to stick to playing Debra Morgan.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't generally like horror movies for the same reason I don't generally like action movies - the plot is usually not the main draw.

Plus, either the movie genuinely makes me feel uneasy or it fails completely and has little else to offer. Either way, I don't see the point.

That being said, if a movie like American Psycho qualifies then I love a bunch of scary movies.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    The Shining
    Yup, add to that for me:

The Omen (original version)
    Nightmare on elm street (lol come on now, who wasn't a little afraid to go to sleep after? )

Right now I honestly can't think of any other movies that scared me enough to be called my favourite scary movie because I was young when I watched the above 3 and films haven't been able to scare me for a long time.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't generally like horror movies for the same reason I don't generally like action movies - the plot is usually not the main draw.

Plus, either the movie genuinely makes me feel uneasy or it fails completely and has little else to offer. Either way, I don't see the point.

That being said, if a movie like American Psycho qualifies then I love a bunch of scary movies.
    What, American Psycho isn't a horror flick?