User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I grew up with Harry Potter, so what can I say? I really like it. Twilight was garbage to me compared to Harry Potter though.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Etoile View Post
    i love edward cullen!

and i don't care how bad of a writer Stephanie Meyer is.
    QFTizzle!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFJ

I didn't really like the Harry Potter books past the third, but Twilight was so much worse...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ

I've only seen the Twilight movie and haven't read the books but Edward Cullen, ladies? Seriously? I mean, yes, I see that the whole 'holding himself back' thing is hot, but what if he NEVER gives in? Boo.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I pre-ordered it on Netflix.

I don't know why, though...

Netflix makes you do crazy shit.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Harry Potter is what got me to be the book worm that I am, and while it has its flaws it holds a place in my heart.

Twilight on the other hand is a loaded piece of garbage. Edward is a crazed stalker and I definitely wouldn't find it sexy if I found out someone had been following me, staring at me while I sleep from the tree outside my window, and is only really attracted to me because my blood smells good. Umm...eww. Perfection is overrated.
    ENFP 4w5

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I must correct something.

Hawtness:
    Harry (10^10x)> edward
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Ideally I'll be the woman

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by zarc View Post

A BDSM trilogy based on Sleeping Beauty. It's excellent. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    Bought the trilogy a couple years ago. Never made it past the first book. It was rather lacking imo. Pure smut, no substance. Kushiel's Legacy (Phedre's Trilogy) is far more nuanced and elegant, with a political clusterf*ck that would keep most keen minds involved. Jacqueline Carey is an engaging writer.

Read the first review here: Amazon.com: Kushiel's Dart: Jacqueline Carey: Books

OP:
    I read both.

Harry Potter will end up a classic like LOTR. It reached a much wider audience. Twilight most likely won't be as remembered in 50 years, and the writing was glorified fanfiction. Meyer got lucky. She's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Harry Potter will end up a classic like LOTR. It reached a much wider audience. Twilight most likely won't be as remembered in 50 years, and the writing was glorified fanfiction. Meyer got lucky. She's probably laughing all the way to the bank.
    I can't even believe there is a comparison between the two. HP was something very different, and very good. Still meant for children, so YMMV, but good. Still hated the ending.

Twilight is popular because it hit the perfect formula for young female teens. The "perfect" guy that is both a bad boy and yet caring, powerful and in demand and yet absolutely loyal to "the girl", who doesn't really do anything to deserve any "special attention" - ironic, given how "old" he is... you'd think he'd have given up on high school students by now. And he even comes complete with built in angst... over his animal instincts and his respect for her. Perfect analogy for sex, which makes perfect sense in the story. I mean, 'an eternal' and powerful teenage boy would be reluctant to have sex, *of course* (the author doesn't believe in sex before marriage, so she didn't let it happen... good character writing there!)

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Bought the trilogy a couple years ago. Never made it past the first book. It was rather lacking imo. Pure smut, no substance. Kushiel's Legacy (Phedre's Trilogy) is far more nuanced and elegant, with a political clusterf*ck that would keep most keen minds involved. Jacqueline Carey is an engaging writer.

Read the first review here: Amazon.com: Kushiel's Dart: Jacqueline Carey: Books
    I read the books as a mid teen so my memory may be hazy but I think there was psychological depth throughout the books that initially seems like background noise. Throughout each book, it got louder and louder, however. Individual character development is sacrificed, but I think she made it that all characters are in a broader sense crucified together.- perhaps with a bit of exception for Beauty. There is succession to the themes and (moral?) resolutions which are fairly distinct for each book. Not to say it was the greatest but it certainly was a relief from Rice's run-on marathons of a Vampire Series lol. Then again, my memory IS hazy so maybe none of that is right. >_> I think I liked her even greater "controversial" Belinda book even more, however unrealistically realistic it was.

Thanks for the link! Haven't read erotica in a while. And fantasy at that. Nummy combo.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    HP was something very different, and very good. Still meant for children, so YMMV, but good. Still hated the ending.
    + 1

Twilight is popular because it hit the perfect formula for young female teens. The "perfect" guy that is both a bad boy and yet caring, powerful and in demand and yet absolutely loyal to "the girl", who doesn't really do anything to deserve any "special attention" - ironic, given how "old" he is... you'd think he'd have given up on high school students by now. And he even comes complete with built in angst... over his animal instincts and his respect for her. Perfect analogy for sex, which makes perfect sense in the story. I mean, 'an eternal' and powerful teenage boy would be reluctant to have sex, *of course* (the author doesn't believe in sex before marriage, so she didn't let it happen... good character writing there!)