User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram

Shoddily written fantasy for 12 year olds vs shoddily written horror for 16 year olds.

Whoever wins, we lose.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Rice wrote erotica?
    Even her novels could be considered part erotica. You definitely get the feeling that they were versions of her own fantasies. Itís not that hard to imagine her getting turned on by Lestat, as I'm sure plenty of his fans have.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

MBTI
    Zzzz

I am ordering it tonight!!!

You're the best, thanks!!!
    Np.

Don't devour them too quickly! They should be savored. + She had another one...

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio
    Even her novels could be considered part erotica. You definitely get the feeling that they were versions of her own fantasies. Itís not that hard to imagine her getting turned on by Lestat, as I'm sure plenty of his fans have.
    Hmm. I think she'd view them as sensual creatures, not erotic. IIRC she was horrified and against fanfiction based on her Vampire world because people made the vampires sexual which went against her vision of them becoming sexless creatures. That and I think because she just didn't like it. Hm. I know she had them banned at one huge fanfiction site. Oh wells.

Gosh, you are all such snobs! I finally read "The Great Gatsby" recently which is a classic but didn't exactly keep me turning the pages while "Twilight" actually kept me engaged, I wanted to know what happens next. I liked the Twilight books, obviously a lot of other people enjoyed them too so that's a great achievment I think. And if Stephen King doesn't like them well than that's just his opinion, isn't it?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Frankly, Rowling isn't that great a writer either--but she's not as bad as the chick that wrote the Twilight shit. I read a couple of chapters in a friend's copy. Not nearly as entrancing as Harry Potter, and it's supposed to be written for a higher age group. Seemed like vampire-Christian smut to me. "I wanted to have him so badly...but I knew that I had to wait until marriage!"
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've never read any Rice. :/

Apparently, I am missing out.

Most female novelists I have read have been romance novelists.

Truth be told, I prefer male authors to female ones.

Though, to my misogynistically-inclined, writing preference's credit, I have read half a Jane Austen novel, The Bell Jar along with a couple of Sylvia Plath poems, Mrs. Dalloway, and a Virginia Woolfe short story or two, read some Edith Wharton, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Amy Hempel short stories, (she's actually quite awesome), and an awesome poem by Eula Bliss called "The Pain Scale".

Hmm, there was one other chick author whom I dug, she wrote the Awakening, or something to that effect, (can't exactly recall the title or the author's name), wherein which the main character killed herself in the end by walking into an ocean? I think there may be an S in her, (the author's), name, that, or my memory is shot and I'm smoking crack.

Sorry, this was a self-indulgent post, I just feel guilty for not reading or enjoying many female authors, because I love women, I really do !!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I hated The Great Gatsby!!!

Of all the classics I've read, hands down, it's my least favorite.

And, yeah, mother uck these haters!!!

The Twilight Saga rocked!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram

I've never read any Rice. :/

Apparently, I am missing out.
    You're really not.

You know how vampire stories all seem like boilerplate repetitions of the same tired "sensual" victorian-fetishist tropes? That's Anne Rice's fault. I mean, theoretically, it's the audience that made Anne Rice's dull, unoriginal, not-quite-erotica take on the vampire myth popular who are responsible for the endless train of imitators taking her tired gag and making it even more tired, but she wrote the damn books, so I blame her.

Apparently when she does vampire stuff from other cultures (Africa and India, specifically) it gets a little more interesting but the "Interview with the Vampire," "L'Estat" stuff is just... ehh

MBTI
    ENTP

A much better young adult series than Twilight is Holly Blackís Tithe series. Thatís dark and edgy urban fantasy, and I promise you, it contains no Christian Right messages.

Twilight fans, if it works for you, thatís all that matters. People have different tastes and everyone to some extent views theirs as Truth. I donít expect my opinions to form your reading list.

I seem to be the lone defender of Harry Potter so far. I wonder if his critics on this thread have actually read the books.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Hmm, there was one other chick author whom I dug, she wrote the Awakening, or something to that effect, (can't exactly recall the title or the author's name), wherein which the main character killed herself in the end by walking into an ocean? I think there may be an S in her, (the author's), name, that, or my memory is shot and I'm smoking crack.
    Kate Chopin.

I hope you give Anne Rice a try. I read all her books except the erotica.

Twilight -- I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I could not read past the 1st Harry Potter book and doubt if I could read the Twilight books either.