• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where to Submit Poems???

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
So, I have a relative who's looking for places to submit some poetry. He's new to the game. He's no spring chicken, so going the collegiate publishing/thumb generation route is not really the right way. I don't believe he's having any kind of mid-life crisis but has always had that small yearning to write but is just now starting to put pen to page.

I don't know what specifically he's trying to explore, I presume rather varied topics so any publication of general subject matter would be helpful.

I really don't know what one does with completed poems and perhaps some short stories. I know back in the day there was a book put out annually called the 2007 Writer's Market Book or something like that. Is that still out and useful? Are there online sites to go to? Any favorable contests to speak of? I don't think he's looking for a Peabody or be published in the New Yorker right off but just to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions?

I don't even know what I don't know here? What could/should he expect? Any bits of wisdom even personal stories on submission would be helpful.

Thanks -

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've no idea, but good luck to your relative!

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I know back in the day there was a book put out annually called the 2007 Writer's Market Book or something like that. Is that still out and useful?

Writing resources, news and discussion for authors / writers, editors, publishers and agents

I find this site to be an excellent source of advice, and contacts when it comes to having things published or delving into the writing world.

Also that annual writers book is still out and useful, so your friend should definately get one. They also have them in libraries as a resource book.