User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP

Default Where to Submit Poems???

So, I have a relative who's looking for places to submit some poetry. He's new to the game. He's no spring chicken, so going the collegiate publishing/thumb generation route is not really the right way. I don't believe he's having any kind of mid-life crisis but has always had that small yearning to write but is just now starting to put pen to page.

I don't know what specifically he's trying to explore, I presume rather varied topics so any publication of general subject matter would be helpful.

I really don't know what one does with completed poems and perhaps some short stories. I know back in the day there was a book put out annually called the 2007 Writer's Market Book or something like that. Is that still out and useful? Are there online sites to go to? Any favorable contests to speak of? I don't think he's looking for a Peabody or be published in the New Yorker right off but just to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions?

I don't even know what I don't know here? What could/should he expect? Any bits of wisdom even personal stories on submission would be helpful.

Thanks -

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've no idea, but good luck to your relative!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by spartan26 View Post
    I know back in the day there was a book put out annually called the 2007 Writer's Market Book or something like that. Is that still out and useful?

Writing resources, news and discussion for authors / writers, editors, publishers and agents

I find this site to be an excellent source of advice, and contacts when it comes to having things published or delving into the writing world.

Also that annual writers book is still out and useful, so your friend should definately get one. They also have them in libraries as a resource book.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"