User Tag List

First 123 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's for the PC, but Troika's Arcanum is in my opinion the best open end RPG ever made.

The game is filled with bugs, but there's a fanmade patch online that deals with that all. The game itself, the storylines, the world, the interaction. Everything is just -so- good. And the graphics aren't too bad, play it for an hour or two and you won't notice it at all anymore. The game has many endings, many ways to play it. It's even possible (though not recommendable) to finish the game with only killing 3 things in the entire game. Ie. play passively. But don't try it unless you're familiar with it.

Then there's evil/good, Magic/tech and just about everything inbetween. Play as a lone gentleman gunslinger. Or a robed-up charismatic magician with his many followers spewing out balls of fire.

Totally worth a go, in my opinion. One of a kind. <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'm glad you asked.

You will not regret buying this. It's for PS2 - came out in December, so it's pretty new. One of the best RPGs of all time (so far), in my opinion.
    YES! Buy this game. Persona 3 is also super duper amazing.

I think I'll just list some of my favorite RPGs... (Some of them aren't necessarily open-ended, but they're awesome.)

-Chrono Trigger
    -Dark Cloud
    -Earthbound
    -the Fire Emblem series
    -the Harvest Moon series. They're games about farming...don't hate it until you try it though! They're cutesy, but they're all really fun.
    -Ogre Battle 64
    -the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia = LOVE)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    too bad i have exams going on, because i know if i buy a new game i wont be able to stop playing it for the life of me.
    Oh man, I can totally relate. I took all my games home during spring break and left them there so I won't be distracted. RPGs are my crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Also: TO was originally made on the SNES and is what FFT was based upon. It's a really good game and it's really tough. I highly recommend it...except it's a bitch to buy.
    That's what emulators are for. Seriously, if any of you guys want to play old-school games without having to shell out $70+, download an emulator and ROMs. There are plenty of sites you can do this at, but coolrom.com is a good one to start with, I think.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking for PS 1/2 games. I didn't see that; I'm an idiot. Some of the ones I listed are, some of them aren't (but some of the ones that aren't can be played by emulators on your computer).

Also, if any of you get into emulators and ROMs, find Famicom Detective Club 2 and the translation patch. Trust me.
    Last edited by Lacey; 04-10-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

MBTI
    IxtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Dark Cloud 2
    Under Construction

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

It's almost a superior version of FFT, except you actually can progress through the story differently, whereas FFT is a lot more linear. Also: TO was originally made on the SNES and is what FFT was based upon. It's a really good game and it's really tough. I highly recommend it...except it's a bitch to buy.
    That's one of those games that I keep meaning to get, but then I look at the price tag and think "maybe I should put it off and instead buy 2-4 other games for the same price." I'm not sure yet if I'm ever going to break down and actually get it.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    -the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia = LOVE)
    You have to have a big imagination for this one. The games are wonderful if you do. Hours x hours of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
    Dark Cloud 2
    Amazing fun. Only complaint is that there is too much gameplay and not enough character/story development. It's great when it happens though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    All of the Suikodens are awesome (maybe IV not so much, though). I'd pick the III or the Tactics one.
    Suidoken II is a classic, best one out of the lot~! Suikoden II is even better if you plat Suikoden I first =D
    I know no bounds to my stupidity...

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Baulders Gate II: Dark Alliance.. this game is for PS2 and is almost a replica of the RPG PC based game, Diablo II. Same concepts.. level up characters to get more skills, loot dead bodies, acquire better gear etc. AMMMMAZZZZINGGGG.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    That's what emulators are for. Seriously, if any of you guys want to play old-school games without having to shell out $70+, download an emulator and ROMs. There are plenty of sites you can do this at, but coolrom.com is a good one to start with, I think.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking for PS 1/2 games. I didn't see that; I'm an idiot. Some of the ones I listed are, some of them aren't (but some of the ones that aren't can be played by emulators on your computer).

Also, if any of you get into emulators and ROMs, find Famicom Detective Club 2 and the translation patch. Trust me.
    Shh!!! You don't want to get him in trouble with the law. That stuff's illegal, you don't just go out openly suggesting that kind of stuff on the public forum. Are you insane?

Anyway... like others have said, Final Fantasy is pretty good. I never played Kingdom Hearts, but it looked interesting.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

im salivating

i really want to get persona 3

im not predominatly fussed about open endings because they usually lack narrative, although they are great. i love character development, good scripting and choice based stories where you can decide the fate of your hero and you get to pick which girl/boy they "get", their alliance, etc. final fantasy is great with the story but you only have one path to go down and any deviance you choose is ultimately inconsiquential.
    i wish these games were more customizable, because im always wanting to change a characters appearance and personality. this is probably why im so attracted to the sims.
    if only there was a combination of RPG and sims that existed... one could put themselves in the story

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    You have to have a big imagination for this one.
    why?

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I'm just gonna name my favorites.

PS1
    -Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (has 4 or 5 endings)
    -Legend of Dragoon
    -Final Fantasy 7
    -Final Fantasy 9
    -Final Fantasy Tactics
    -Breath of Fire III
    -Breath of Fire IV
    -Tales of Destiny II
    -Alundra

PS2
    -Final Fantasy 10
    -Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

Those are a few.