• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If types were RPG classes...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no correlation between type and what character class someone prefers. I personally love Paladins, and I play nothing else. My INFJ friend is always the wizard, and I know an INTP who is always the Priest/Cleric. However since we are posting in a thread about stereotyping I will give it a shot:

Healer- Anyone. Reason- Healing appeals to Te users very much so. It requires active problem solving and is byfar the hardest role to play when playing a fantasy video game. They enjoy the challenge. NFs also like to be loved by people, and like to see their efforts go appreciated, so naturally they will be drawn to a healer. NTs also enjoy healing because it stretches your mental limits into how well you keep your party alive in tough encounters. SPs would love healing (stereotypically) because it's very easy to find a group of people to play with as a healer and the SPs I know like to play the game in all it's aspects, healing being one. Pretty much any feeler would also enjoy how much other people enjoyed and appreciated their presence in the party.

Tank- Anyone. Tanks require a lot of active problem solving (Te), you are also the life of the party, you make or break whether the party continues (Fe), you may enjoy helping your friends and others by being the tank (NF), you may just in general like how the tank plays and the experience it gives you (SP).

Damage class- Anyone. You may get satisfaction out of efficiently and swiftly killing things in certain styles (anyone), you may like seeing the large numbers pop up and realize that without you the party wouldn't be progressing as quickly (SP), you may like an intricate damage rotation and you may like the fact that lacking healing adds a certain depth of strategy to the game (NT/NF).

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
There is no correlation between type and what character class someone prefers. I personally love Paladins, and I play nothing else. My INFJ friend is always the wizard, and I know an INTP who is always the Priest/Cleric. However since we are posting in a thread about stereotyping I will give it a shot:

Healer- Anyone. Reason- Healing appeals to Te users very much so. It requires active problem solving and is byfar the hardest role to play when playing a fantasy video game. They enjoy the challenge. NFs also like to be loved by people, and like to see their efforts go appreciated, so naturally they will be drawn to a healer. NTs also enjoy healing because it stretches your mental limits into how well you keep your party alive in tough encounters. SPs would love healing (stereotypically) because it's very easy to find a group of people to play with as a healer and the SPs I know like to play the game in all it's aspects, healing being one. Pretty much any feeler would also enjoy how much other people enjoyed and appreciated their presence in the party.

Tank- Anyone. Tanks require a lot of active problem solving (Te), you are also the life of the party, you make or break whether the party continues (Fe), you may enjoy helping your friends and others by being the tank (NF), you may just in general like how the tank plays and the experience it gives you (SP).

Damage class- Anyone. You may get satisfaction out of efficiently and swiftly killing things in certain styles (anyone), you may like seeing the large numbers pop up and realize that without you the party wouldn't be progressing as quickly (SP), you may like an intricate damage rotation and you may like the fact that lacking healing adds a certain depth of strategy to the game (NT/NF).

This makes more sense to me. I agree- it's not your type, as types are a crude and general definition of how your mind works. It's all preference, though..I would choose warrior.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Tanks are always great in rpgs. They bear the attitude, of exactly doing what they are told too :D.

We were in a dungeon and our priest was lieing out the tactics. The tank was standing like a machine in front line awaiting instructions. Then the priest lied out, what he is gonna say when the tank needs to attack, by that time our poor tank must have been totally overstrained with the whole situation.

Yeah well, the priest was still talking and the tank already had gone fighting, because he thought the priest said to attack, it was marvellous :D.

I managed to take down 5 mobs with him until we went down, because the priest refused to heal because he was offended :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate idiots like that entropie. Even if I get offended in a group when I heal on my Paladin (mostly I do damage though) I will continue healing, because the only thing my being stubborn will do is make me be in that group of idiots longer.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
^^ yeah I believe so. This was only a very very special priest and an exception :).

The tank tho was very special too, normally I am the one to pull because I can use that stun thing and take one mob out of the equation but that didnt work at all :D

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
INTP: Beggar
INFJ: Priest
INFP: Minstrel
ENTP: Acrobat
ENTJ: Necromancer
ISTJ: Scribe
ESTJ: Interrogator

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
but but....i wanna be a sorceresssss :(

no cleric please.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any type can be any role-playing class but their motivations will be different.

However, the four temperaments have a natural affinity for one of the 4 general D&D classes as follows:

SJ: Fighters (they usually guard the weaker members of the party)
SP: Rogue (they rely on agility, reflexes or charisma)
NT: Wizard (magic requires a keen intellect to study and use effectively)
NF: Priest (kind of obvious: faith is their most important attribute)

B

beyondaurora

NFs also like to be loved by people, and like to see their efforts go appreciated, so naturally they will be drawn to a healer.

SPs would love healing (stereotypically) because it's very easy to find a group of people to play with as a healer and the SPs I know like to play the game in all it's aspects, healing being one. Pretty much any feeler would also enjoy how much other people enjoyed and appreciated their presence in the party.

I ALWAYS play a healer (online RPG or D&D) for a combination of the reasons you provided. Mainly, I have this love-hate relationship with having all the pressure of 'saving' everyone. It does feel good to be needed (although I also feel taken for granted). I also like the SP aspect you noted, in which I can just jump in and heal! (I enjoy the active monitoring of the health of multiple people -- although it stresses me out too!).

To top it off, if I can multi-class, I will take a few levels in fighter so that I can deliver the final coup de grace when the fighters are down and 'save the party'. :)

EDIT: Also, I don't usually play any religious-oriented healers...I like the more hippy bard or druid roles. I LOVED playing a bard in LOTRO. I would go around and randomly 'play' my instruments for people using the keyboard (I play piano in RL, so I mapped out the keyboard similarly).

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
EDIT: Also, I don't usually play any religious-oriented healers...I like the more hippy bard or druid roles. I LOVED playing a bard in LOTRO. I would go around and randomly 'play' my instruments for people using the keyboard (I play piano in RL, so I mapped out the keyboard similarly).

I loved that part. I remapped my keyboard, too, and carried a lute all the time. But since I'm awful at composing music, I abused the ABC system. :D I had a mean version of the Tom Bombadil song and "Here Comes the Sun".

I've never played healer for very long. The idea doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to be in the service of a group of people nor be in that position of power. The healer always has the most power in the RPG group hierarchy followed closely by the tank. If one wanted to, as a healer, they could make the entire group's life a living hell for the duration of the quest. They can choose to let someone live or die. They, for a large part, set the speed of the encounter (as do damage dealers to some extent).

And I never was one for that kind of power. Give me something fun and fast and independent so stuff falls down quickly so I can pretend it's me in there, running so fast and agile, flipping off of stuff and being clever.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Classes that appeal to me and why - listed in the order I usually play them.

Mage/wizard (non-specialized). - Versatility (Ne)

Druid - Good RP match to me, being useful is nice too. (Fi)

Thief - Fun to play, I like the trickery/scheming and problem solving aspects. (Tx)

Other thoughts/theories on this...

I see priest/cleric as being more likely to be IxFJs than IxFP, although any Fs could be drawn to them for the helping others aspect. A priest dedicated to healing the sick/wounded would seem an ideal fit to ISFJ to me, and priest more focused on the spiritual side would be more likely to be INFJ.

I see druid as being a good match for IxFPs. INFPs I think would find the spiritual and philosophical side more interesting, and I think the ISFPs would find appeal in both the nature aspect and the helpfullness aspect.

Now for some less thoughtout guessing :)

Schools of Wizardry
Abjuration - ????
Conjuration - xxTJ
Divination - INxx
Enchantment - xNTP
Evocation - ExxP
Illusion - xNxP
Necromancy - xxTJ
Transmutation - xxxx (any)

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, when I played Everquest (I) back in the day, my main char. was an Enchanter. (Highly group dependent --not a glamorous role, but highly sought after as it was a purely group benefit player, difficult, and rare at higher levels.)

When I played World of Warcraft, I was a female dwarven Holy Priest... (repeat similar attributes) and levelled that way.

Both were invaluable to group dynamics and that was how I liked it. I was not in it for the glory or the "pwnage" factor.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Schools of Wizardry
Abjuration - ????
Conjuration - xxTJ
Divination - INxx
Enchantment - xNTP
Evocation - ExxP
Illusion - xNxP
Necromancy - xxTJ
Transmutation - xxxx (any)

Here are my guesses for types like to be drawn to the wizardry schools:

Abjuration - xSxJ - all about keeping things safe, which is an SJ thing
Conjuration - xxFP - creating something out of nothing
Divination - IxxJ - appeals to introverted perceiving types
Enchantment - xxFJ - controlling others via force of personality
Evocation - ExTx, IXTP - Unsubtly blowing the crap out of enemies
Illusion - INxJ, ESXP = playing with other's perceptions
Necromancy - xxTJ - controlling undead through strengthof will
Transmutation -xNxP - changing an object into something more desirable

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, when I played Everquest (I) back in the day, my main char. was an Enchanter. (Highly group dependent --not a glamorous role, but highly sought after as it was a purely group benefit player, difficult, and rare at higher levels.)

When I played World of Warcraft, I was a female dwarven Holy Priest... (repeat similar attributes) and levelled that way.

Both were invaluable to group dynamics and that was how I liked it. I was not in it for the glory or the "pwnage" factor.

Wow.

Another Everquest vet here - Yes!

Former level 43 Wood Elf Bard "Jack-of-all-trades; Master of none" here.

An Eq-classic server is in the works. It's a free server dedicated to removing post Shadows of Luclin content/features to it and bringing it back to "classic" Original, Kunark and Velious Everquest in all its glory. If I recall, expansions will be released every six months.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow.

Another Everquest vet here - Yes!

Former level 43 Wood Elf Bard "Jack-of-all-trades; Master of none" here.

An Eq-classic server is in the works. It's a free server dedicated to removing post Shadows of Luclin content/features to it and bringing it back to "classic" Original, Kunark and Velious Everquest in all its glory. If I recall, expansions will be released every six months.

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooes. The INFP boyfriend (who still plays) will have more ammo to suck me back into the MMORPG vortex.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! But seriously, everything post-SoL was excessive silliness.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooes. The INFP boyfriend (who still plays) will have more ammo to suck me back into the MMORPG vortex.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! But seriously, everything post-SoL was excessive silliness.

Mwahahahahaha!

So which class do you plan on playing? :D

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are my guesses for types like to be drawn to the wizardry schools:

Abjuration - xSxJ - all about keeping things safe, which is an SJ thing
Conjuration - xxFP - creating something out of nothing
Divination - IxxJ - appeals to introverted perceiving types
Enchantment - xxFJ - controlling others via force of personality
Evocation - ExTx, IXTP - Unsubtly blowing the crap out of enemies
Illusion - INxJ, ESXP = playing with other's perceptions
Necromancy - xxTJ - controlling undead through strengthof will
Transmutation -xNxP - changing an object into something more desirable

For Conjuration I was thinking more of summoning minions from the planes etc and having them do ones bidding, but your way of looking at it is probably truer to PNP.

Since others have brought up Everquest 1, how would you see Enchanters in EQ1 and EQ2 as far as what types would be drawn to them and what types would have a natural talent for them?

I played EQ1 for many years and had an enchanter alt and enjoyed the character, but it took every ounce of my concentration to play with even average ability, but I did have the privilage of grouping and raidign with some exceptionaly talendted enchanters and there was a world of difference between them and the average players in both how easily it seemed to come to them and what they could do for a group/raid. As a comparison, I found playing a Shaman (my main in EQ1 for several years) close to efortless in groups (with soloing I could challenge myself a bit more :)) and even got frequent compliments about my skill in keeping groups alive and buffed and thought it strange to get so many compliments for a class that did not seem nearly as chalenging to play well as a good enchanter (my theory here is that introverts make better healers because they are healing when they should be instead of chatting or trying to get in the middle of the action with their mace/staff etc :)). Thinking about that puts a twist on the question of type and class when it regards MMOGS, since sometimes the type that a class appeals to is not really a great fit because the skills needed better match another type.