"The world will look up and shout "save us", and I'll whisper.... "No."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    The Trailer by far beats anything I've ever seen, it was pure brilliance. I cannot wait to see this movie, as it is destined to be truly amazing.
    I agree if you're talking about the long-form trailer with the remix of The End is the Beginning is the End. That ties into the film well I feel because it is a remix of a song used in another superhero movie, which seems to tie in with some of the themes...

By comparison, the TV trailers I've seen are disjointed and lack context. They need a better trailer for television; perhaps they'll put another one together after the film it out...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I have been thinking about the comments here and I think that it can be frustrating when you really are into a character and story and want to see it told in a way that does it justice- now I believe that you can take artistic liberties to some extent and that you have to be understanding that film is a different medium and therefore the storytelling needs to be different to accomodate the different medium- or to modernize things so that they can be relatable to the currnet times- I can undertand that.

Here is the reason why I get upset at say like Fantastic 4. I get pissed off when people make films who have no understanding of the characters and why they are great. Take Dr. Doom- the real star of the Fantastic 4- he was nothing like Dr. Doom in the comics- they did a horrible horrible job- they didn't understand what made him lovable and awesome.

It wasn't that I was upset that scenes got cut or the storyline differed- it is that there was no understanding of the characters- there was no justice being done to them at all.

I think that people can be justified in being upset or disappointed with a film adaptation of a story or comic if the spirit and the understanding of what makes the story great and characters great are no where to be found.

The spiderman movies differend greatly in story and even the personality of spiderman was a bit different- not as much as a smart ass- more ISFP in the movie instead of ENTP in the comic it seems to me but still they kept very true to why spiderman is awesome both as peter and as the superhero- the essence and message of the story remained true and was done justice.

I think that you can take liberties but you have to understand what makes the character great and you should stay true to that if you want people who have an attatchment to that character to like it- which I think you should try to please the fans as well as the person new to it all. The characters have a fan base for a reason.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

The first reviews are out and they look fairly Positive.
    9 wing 1

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I have been thinking about the comments here and I think that it can be frustrating when you really are into a character and story and want to see it told in a way that does it justice- now I believe that you can take artistic liberties to some extent and that you have to be understanding that film is a different medium and therefore the storytelling needs to be different to accomodate the different medium- or to modernize things so that they can be relatable to the currnet times- I can undertand that.

Here is the reason why I get upset at say like Fantastic 4. I get pissed off when people make films who have no understanding of the characters and why they are great. Take Dr. Doom- the real star of the Fantastic 4- he was nothing like Dr. Doom in the comics- they did a horrible horrible job- they didn't understand what made him lovable and awesome.

It wasn't that I was upset that scenes got cut or the storyline differed- it is that there was no understanding of the characters- there was no justice being done to them at all.

I think that people can be justified in being upset or disappointed with a film adaptation of a story or comic if the spirit and the understanding of what makes the story great and characters great are no where to be found.

The spiderman movies differend greatly in story and even the personality of spiderman was a bit different- not as much as a smart ass- more ISFP in the movie instead of ENTP in the comic it seems to me but still they kept very true to why spiderman is awesome both as peter and as the superhero- the essence and message of the story remained true and was done justice.

I think that you can take liberties but you have to understand what makes the character great and you should stay true to that if you want people who have an attatchment to that character to like it- which I think you should try to please the fans as well as the person new to it all. The characters have a fan base for a reason.
    Damn you! I wanted to rant about this and you beat me to it.

Let me just add that in Watchmen the thing they really need to get right is Rorschach. That is going to be the most important character to most fans, and if they do him right, non-comic fans are going to love the character for the same reasons. A lot of times appeasing the fans is what makes the movie good as long as you know what's really important. Dr. Manhattan's penis is really not that important in how good this movie will be. If they can get the main characters right and convey the same feeling that the original story did, then not only will they please the old fans, but they will win over a lot of new ones.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post

Let me just add that in Watchmen the thing they really need to get right is Rorschach. That is going to be the most important character to most fans, and if they do him right, non-comic fans are going to love the character for the same reasons. A lot of times appeasing the fans is what makes the movie good as long as you know what's really important. Dr. Manhattan's penis is really not that important in how good this movie will be. If they can get the main characters right and convey the same feeling that the original story did, then not only will they please the old fans, but they will win over a lot of new ones.
    Manhattan > Rorschach

imo
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post

Let me just add that in Watchmen the thing they really need to get right is Rorschach.
    By many accounts, Jack Earle Haley, who's playing Rorschach, nails the character. He said that the voice he chose for the part is similar to the voice that Alan Moore used for Rorschach in an audio recording he once made. I hear Patrick Wilson also nails Nite Owl II.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    By many accounts, Jack Earle Haley, who's playing Rorschach, nails the character. He said that the voice he chose for the part is similar to the voice that Alan Moore used for Rorschach in an audio recording he once made. I hear Patrick Wilson also nails Nite Owl II.
    It's always all about the voice, isn't it. Nothing can kill a character more than a misplaced voice.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Nite Owl is my favourite character, he's such an unlikely superhero, being nerdish and overweight and endearingly naive.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    It's always all about the voice, isn't it. Nothing can kill a character more than a misplaced voice.
    Well, something personal and distinctive has to come through that mask. Plus, the way his dialogue was written in the comic really suggested a gruff, coarse voice. Hopefully, he won't overdo the voice like Christian Bale did with his Batman voice in The Dark Knight.
    INFJ
    4w5