User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Late Night with Conan O'Brien

The last episode is on as I type. Anyone care to reminisce?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senior Member Just another ISTJ's Avatar
    MBTI
    IsTj
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTP

I will always remember the Masturbating Bear and his accompanying music. I'm guessing he won't be present on the Tonight Show.

The animals with guns bits were always amusing, along with the snobby European, the bar skits, and Triumph's bits.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Crap, I missed the final episode?! I must fix that.

I used to watch it all the time in college, back when Andy was on the show. The staring contests were classic, and I still remember how Andy finally beat Conan. Bringing out Conan's parents and having them strip was pure, disturbing genius.

I think I'm the only person who won't miss the Masturbating Bear.

Thought the final episode was underwhelming.

Sans Triumph, I thought the hands-down funniest bits were State Quarters and especially the "photo album" segments where Conan, Max, and Joel's heads were photoshopped onto the bodies of people in crazy situations. Does anyone else remember the latter? They seemed pretty rare.

I've been watching since eighth grade. Sad to see it no longer "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

MBTI
    XNXP

He had some creative episodes but, on the whole, I thought he was more of a "nice guy" than someone who actually made me laugh much. That's how I think of Jay Leno, too, however. As far as mainstream comic "hosts" I think Ellen kicks both their asses so hard they should think about hanging it up. However, Conan can be witty when he wants to be. I saw him as a guest on someone else's show and he was waay better than he is on that "let's waste a half hour" schtick he does before his guests come on.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

"In the year 2000...."

I loved it when they took out the desk for a spin around town.

The Pelican Brief "Don't run there!" skit was classic.

"I'm going to turn... you out."

The grade-school drawings of the show were always good.

Also, I loved the audience interaction that they first had during year 1 of the show.

(Thanks for reminding me of the starting contests...)

I watched Conan nightly in the Richter years. After that, it became boring to me and I switched to Kilborn to see something new, then to Ferguson. They switched so abruptly between the two Craigs that I thought at first that Kilborn had died that day in an auto accident or something and needed to be replaced immediately. It was just strange...

To me, it makes no sense that they take what is old & stale at this point, and put it on closer to prime time as new and fresh. I actually like to see a decent amount of turnover in late night hosts, as it keeps a sort of entrepreneurial spirit in the comedy. Craig Kilborn left before his schtick got old for example. David Letterman's comedy has been old for about 15 years now. I think it's time for someone really off the wall to host the latter part of the evening with a whole new brand of humor..
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I like Conan, but I have not been keeping up on watching him (but I had heard about the move of timeslot and location)...

My favorite bits were Recliner of Rage (comfortable and furious!), The skits where he would watch stuff from their exclusive satelite (can't remember if it had a name, but those were some very funny skits - jarbarf, improper distances etc.), In the year 2000, Celebrity Secrets/confesions and the Frankenstein character.

Does anyone know if he will be bringing his crew from NY, or if he will be starting from scratch again? I can't see the show being the same quality without at least some of his existing team.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    They switched so abruptly between the two Craigs that I thought at first that Kilborn had died that day in an auto accident or something and needed to be replaced immediately. It was just strange...

To me, it makes no sense that they take what is old & stale at this point, and put it on closer to prime time as new and fresh. I actually like to see a decent amount of turnover in late night hosts, as it keeps a sort of entrepreneurial spirit in the comedy. Craig Kilborn left before his schtick got old for example. David Letterman's comedy has been old for about 15 years now. I think it's time for someone really off the wall to host the latter part of the evening with a whole new brand of humor..
    Yeah, I thought it was strange the way they transitioned between Craigs , too. And sometimes the latter part of the Kilbourn show was sports coverage instead. Weird.

+1 on the other quoted opinion ( "To me, it makes no sense.." ) also.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't watch TV. If that's it for him, it's news to me. Can't say that I'll miss him...

MBTI
    infp

I love Conan, I look forward to how he'll do the LA gig. I liked the recliner of rage and conan and max small talk moments best.