User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Wire

I'm moving slowly, I'm only half way thru the first season. I do have 3 seasons packed with me here though and then the last two seasons are on the share drive here. There's so many TV shows, movies and music I have access to on the network FTP.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

As I just finished "Show Me a Hero" (by David Simon, etc.) and really liked it, and because people have been touting this show for a long time, I dug up the pilot for "The Wire" last night.

Kind of amusing to see how many of the actors I now recognize, including Lance Reddick and Idris Alba. And both Seth Gilliam and Lawrence Gilliard Jr. of course ended up doing stints on TWD recently.

It's weird because I don't much like the police procedurals on network TV or USA/similar cable, but I like this. Despite all the detail orientation, it leaves me focused and interested; I think it's because of all the personal stories. Each character feels pretty real to me, an actual human being, regardless of their role in the story. It feels like I'm actually there watching a real scene, eavesdropping.

And yeah, it's cool it's in Baltimore. I can't say I live in the "city proper" although I've been through various parts on and off (I live out near the beltway, west side, pretty close to where I95 exits; I just usually don't have a reason to go deep into the inner areas), but so far the show "looks" right.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft