• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Console War

Which Video Game Console is King?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Screw those console's, im sticking with Duck Hunt

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Mystic Zealot

MBTI Type
ESTP
So now is a pretty good time to ask this question, so in your opinion who has clearly won the war? Is it Xbox 360, Playstation 3, or the Nintendo Wii?

Also if you have any pro or cons about a console, do tell, its pretty awesome to see people's views on the different features on each of the consoles

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
PC, dammit!!!

As for the two major consoles, I find that the PlayStation 3 appeals to anime geeks and the Xbox 360 appeals to military brats.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I guess if you're going with hardware numbers you'd have to say the Wii technically "won." But you can't call half of the crap on the system games. Metroid 3 was good, and I do love Wii sports, but I thought it wasn't generally a step forward for gaming in general, more of a step sideways.

X360 is my favorite system, it has my favorite games and I think the best online platform of all the consoles, despite the fact it's 50 bucks a year. Great media capabilities, great graphics, and seems specifically tailored to playing games unlike the PS3 sometimes.

PS3 is a phenomenal system that was unfortunately the victim of several design missteps from the beginning. Basically inserting the Cell chip which was designed for media display, and not really systems and simulation execution, turned out to drive the cost up where they could have just dropped a prototype C2duo in there and it would have blown 360's away, and keep the development tools relatively easy to use, which is another drawback it has. Although it has some great games and Blu-ray turned out to be the best idea, and the standard hard-drive is something I thought was very important and a HUGE drawback for the 360 for not including one standard.

If the PC could get some good developers back it would be the best. So far you've got Crytek and Blizzard essentially keeping it on life support.

Mystic Zealot

MBTI Type
ESTP
I was gonna put pc but i knew that it would rape the poll so i left it out lol

One thing with the 360 though is its media support, they say that it can read some of the formats but they are clearly lying, it suxs

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I was gonna put pc but i knew that it would rape the poll so i left it out lol

One thing with the 360 though is its media support, they say that it can read some of the formats but they are clearly lying, it suxs

Really? Reads all my stuff. My .avi's on my computer and it plays my burned dvds, and my music too.

Mystic Zealot

MBTI Type
ESTP
music and burned dvd work fine, but streaming avi to my 360 is a hit or miss for some stupid reason, ill throw it on a jump drive and try it on a ps3 and it works fine its wierd.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If the PC could get some good developers back it would be the best. So far you've got Crytek and Blizzard essentially keeping it on life support.

PC games also available for consoles still usually manage to be better than their console counterparts.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
PC games also available for consoles still usually manage to be better than their console counterparts.

True, however those cross platform games are usually now made for the console then ported to the PC, you can see it in UI and menu design. The difference from Morrowind to Oblivion was pure "consolitis."

PC can do so much more yet a fraction of the software supports it now, where 10 years ago it was the other way around. What a shame. My favorite games are PC games.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I need to get back to gaming. I still don't own any of the current gen consoles. But there's no doubt in my mind I'm getting a 360 (and a PS3 for Ico 3) sooner or later.

Nintendo "won" but I think Microsoft might have gained more from this gen in the long run (obviously it's the company with more to gain out of the three, as far as videogaming is concerned) if you look at the progress made by 360 in comparison with the original Xbox.

All I know is that I'm eagerly awaiting for Denis Dyack's one console future, so this petty fanboy mentality can die (well, actually... I still root for Sega somewhat:cheese:).

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well I mostly prefer the 360 because of the games (I am a first person shooter player) and because I find the controller better than that of the PS3. I think hte PC is great but unfortunately my PC doesn't have the hardware necessary to run most current games right now and I don't want to waste money upgrading it. Plus Xbox Live is awsome... I ma going to get me a PS3 soon though.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Well I mostly prefer the 360 because of the games (I am a first person shooter player) and because I find the controller better than that of the PS3. I think hte PC is great but unfortunately my PC doesn't have the hardware necessary to run most current games right now and I don't want to waste money upgrading it. Plus Xbox Live is awsome... I ma going to get me a PS3 soon though.

Heartily agree with the 360 controller's greatness. It's just the best controller I've ever played with. When the new one comes out, I hope they're backwards compatible and they better not jump on the motion sensing bandwagon unless they get it perfect and it's more accurate than a regular controller, or certainly more accurate than the Wiimote.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Heartily agree with the 360 controller's greatness. It's just the best controller I've ever played with. When the new one comes out, I hope they're backwards compatible and they better not jump on the motion sensing bandwagon unless they get it perfect and it's more accurate than a regular controller, or certainly more accurate than the Wiimote.

Tell me about it, all the bottons are exactly where they should be, it molds to my hand (the PS is kind of "blocky"), the sticks are far enough appart (that is one reason I hate PS3 controller), the triggers are great. The overall controller is just perfect for FPS games. I have actually been looking for a way to be able to use the PS3 with a 360 controller, so far I found one way to do it but you have to run a cable to the PS3, no wireless.:(

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
The Wii. Is there any question who won? o_O And they did it for a profit from the start...

Mystic Zealot

MBTI Type
ESTP

Yes they are quite comfortable to use, especially when it comes to fps or racing in my opinion.

Shaula said:
:peepwall:

Super Nintendo.

Super nintendo is great, has anyone played Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I need to get back to gaming. I still don't own any of the current gen consoles. But there's no doubt in my mind I'm getting a 360 (and a PS3 for Ico 3) sooner or later.

They've made an Ico 3?!?! *elated squeal* It may be the very thing that makes me bother to get a PS3 at some point (along with a few other games).

I don't own any of the new consoles, but I've played with the Wii and it's pretty fun. I suppose the Wii has won, really. Not because the games were awesome and amazing, but because it's introduced a new system of controls for playing video games and has consistently built upon that system. It has also managed to get more people playing video games by making the act of playing more interactive. (Never would I have thought to hear my mom say, "Let's play Wii Tennis".)

Now if we could just have the Wii's gaming system concept (only more refined) combined with the graphics of the 360/PS3 and the rougher, grittier types of games those two consoles usually have...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
It has also managed to get more people playing video games by making the act of playing more interactive. (Never would I have thought to hear my mom say, "Let's play Wii Tennis".)

Heh, we have a 'wii tennis' club here at work. It's surprising how the simplest games can grab hold. Wii tennis is serious business here. And I say that without a twinge of sarcasm.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
They've made an Ico 3?!?! *elated squeal* It may be the very thing that makes me bother to get a PS3 at some point (along with a few other games).

Team Ico, creators of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, are currently developing a game for the PS3 which we still know nothing about. But it's coming sooner or later. 2009/2010 is a good bet.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nintendo is the winner by a long shot. The Wii's main competition is the DS.

I personally own a PS3 though. I got new one for $250 and that was too good to pass up. Overall I just think the Xbox360 and PS3 are so similar. You should just refer to them both as the PS360. The main decision between the two is do you want to just play games or do you want to do other stuff (like watch blue-rays) too. That basically determines which one you should like more.