Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Uber, I think we have finally found some common ground. Hallelujah!
    A Beautiful Mind wasn't that great, either. And not only because it wasn't about my mind.

And I liked both Titanic and Forrest Gump. They had great special effects (at the time).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I did like A Beautiful Mind. I've liked almost everything Opie has directed.

I never saw Titanic and Forrest Gump was okay but syrupy.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Benjamin Button was more like Titanic Gump.

The worst Best Picture contender (and winner) of all time, however, was Gladiator.
    Gladiator is one of the worst Best Picture winners ever, but probably not THE worst. Ever see Oliver!, uber? Million Dollar Baby was pretty lame. I usually love Clint Eastwood, too. There have been pretty bad Best Picture nominees in the last twenty years. The Postman, Seabiscuit, Cider House Rules, Erin Brockovich, Titanic, Good Night and Good Luck, Atonement. None of those movies were anything special at all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

I hated this movie. For reasons along the lines of those LowtechRedneck posted. It reminded me of American Beauty, which I also loathe with a passion. Worthless Oscar bait that pretends to be saying something edgy when it isn't doing anything of the sort. Blergh. *vomit smiley*
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Gladiator is one of the worst Best Picture winners ever, but probably not THE worst. Ever see Oliver!, uber? Million Dollar Baby was pretty lame. I usually love Clint Eastwood, too. There have been pretty bad Best Picture nominees in the last twenty years. The Postman, Seabiscuit, Cider House Rules, Erin Brockovich, Titanic, Good Night and Good Luck, Atonement. None of those movies were anything special at all.
    I take it you're not talking about the 1997 Kevin Costner movie.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I take it you're not talking about the 1997 Kevin Costner movie.
    Yeah, I guess they call it Il Postino nowadays. I'm pretty sure that that was how it was listed then.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

After some more reflection RR seems like the prequel to American Beauty. It's very similar in many respects, which is somewhat disappointing as it seems to point to a certain lack of creativity, as if Sam Mendes is stuck in some mental loop. The acting was fine, there just wasn't much meat to the film. Like I said, I don't know if it's a failure of feeling or something, but I haven't been moved by a recent film since "Let the Right One In". I feel jaded with respect to film, in the sense that I want to see something real, rather than something trying to make me think it feels real. How do you achieve this?

On a semi-related subject, tragedy always seems such an easy way out in terms of plot. But, as in life, what comes after? How do you handle life after the fall? Where is the overcoming? Or, the struggle without resolution? Many films seem to careen toward tragedy and then stop there, as if that is the end of the story. As if life was not suffused with suffering.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    It reminded me of American Beauty, which I also loathe with a passion. Worthless Oscar bait that pretends to be saying something edgy when it isn't doing anything of the sort. Blergh. *vomit smiley*
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I want to see something real, rather than something trying to make me think it feels real. How do you achieve this?
    i can understand this sort of cynicism, but i dont think there is any advantage to judging the premise of things as much as the execution.

as far as movies go, i tend to view the general plot like i would an artist's choice of medium. i wouldnt say "nobody has ever tried to make art out of rotten food and trash" or "oil? everyone paints with oil, how unoriginal". the premise is largely irrelevant, execution is where creativity (or lack thereof) becomes apparent. actually, that's why i usually dislike michael bay's work despite its polish. and along the same lines i give movies the benefit of the doubt and dont project pseudo-significance because i want to take advantage of whatever insight (however limited) the story offers.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Lame film, the highlight was the psychiatric patient.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I saw it one of the last weeks of January.

Mixed feelings.

I thought the acting was good, I thought the general storyline was promising, but there was something dreadfully wrong with it as well, which I couldn't quite put my finger on. I blamed it on the screenplay....it just seemed far too dramatic, or something.

It was like...believable emotions in themselves, but I didn't believe the characters, story, or timeline. Seemed too rushed, too dramatic, something....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ