• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reggae Appreciation Thread

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh wow. Where to begin! Sis and I really do dig reggae. I'm not an expert with the genre, but I use it to calm myself during anxious episodes (country works great too). But my interest was further fanned by the profound effect it had on the Clash's sound.

Two friends of mine have classic reggae collections to make a music nerd cry, and they've sent us a lot. I found myself lying on my bed on my back with my eyes closed and feeling the tension in my body drifting off. The subject matter can be very bleak and yet I think the bouyancy of Jamaicans in general really drives the sting of despair from their songs. Like a little kernel of hope left in a very dark situation.

Jackie Mittoo's "Fancy Pants" is a jolly affair (no lyrics). Also, "West of the Sun" (one of my favorites - another "dare you to stay depressed" tune).

"Book of Rules" by the Heptones (very sweet, and a broad gentle view of the world).

"No Woman No Cry" will put me in tears right away. It reminds me of Sis and me and Shorty making the best of our poverty. Finding happy moments in the garbage.

B

beyondaurora

Oh, Heart! Awesome thread! This past year I have really gotten into reggae.

Bob Marley

Bob Marley - Don't Rock My Boat

(The quality of this video SUCKS, but this particular version is INFINITELY better than the popular one -- download it as "Sun is Shining" from the album "Natural Mystic")
Bob Marley - Sun is Shining

Bob Marley w/ Erykah Badu - No More Trouble

Bob Marley w/ Lauren Hill

Damian Marley:

"Welcome to Jamrock" is an AWESOME album! There aren't many videos of these songs, so I recommend downloading the songs in full to get an accurate idea of his music.
Damian Marley - For The Babies: Live@VH1.com (The studio version is soooooooo much better!)

Damien Marley - There For You

10CC

This song is so ridiculously cheesy (watch the video!), but I've grown to love it on that account alone.

10CC - Dreadlock Holiday

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yay for reggae

I love my Kaya cd by Bob Marley and the Wailers, I also love the song "Legalize It" by Peter Tosh

B

beyondaurora

Side note -- does anyone else here feel strange about liking reggae but not believing in Jah, never being to Jamaica and not smoking the holy herb? :blush:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Side note -- does anyone else here feel strange about liking reggae but not believing in Jah, never being to Jamaica and not smoking the holy herb? :blush:

You live in the SF bay area, you should feel strange about not smoking herb and worshiping Jah as it is.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Burning Spear gets deep.

[YOUTUBE="WT7X5C3UXPo"]Burning Spear - Slavery Days[/YOUTUBE]