• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do drinking games suck?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, this is going be half rant/half meaningful post, but...

I gotta say I'm pretty fucking sick of being at parties (and bear in mind, I'm a pretty strong E and enjoy being around people in general) and people wanting to play some arbitrarily made up nonsense drinking "games" with no decisions.

Like this shit called "Circle of Death" that my roommates and their friends always want to play. It consists basically of drawing random cards from a deck and then taking x number of drinks based on whatever system.

It's not the drinking that bothers me--I'm all for drinking--but whenever someone suggests such bullshit I always have to ask, "Why don't we either just DRINK without bothering with this crap, or play an actual game and make up some rules to incorporate drinking into it?"

This happened just a few minutes ago...small social gathering at the house here, and roommates' friends are all about the CIRCLE OF DEEEEATH or other nonsense game with NO FUCKING DECISIONS! If you just want to drink, fuck the game and start chugging beers. Knock yourself out, literally! But if you want to play a drinking game, at least make it some kind with meaningful decisions so that it's at least vaguely interesting while you're in the process of getting hammered. I find that this gets more and more fun the more drunk people get, because the poor decisions everyone starts to make are an endless source of amusement for most people.

Games are supposed to be fun because you have some kind of control over what happens, right? Some kind of decision leads to some kind of semi-predictable result, and that's why it's entertaining, right?

I suggested drinking Hearts--play Hearts and have everybody take a drink for every point they pick up. That way, not only do you get the enjoyment of drinking, you also get the enjoyment of playing an actual GAME which has strategical decisions. I'm not suggesting that we play drinking Bridge or some other really complex game where the complexity would ruin the simple fun, but what is with these stupid nonsense "games" like Circle of Death where we're just making up excuses to drink? You don't need an excuse to just drink! If you don't want to play a game, then forego the bullshit, maybe throw on a movie or something and just drink already!

Maybe this is just me being a silly NT because I love strategy games, but I absolutely can't stand so-called "games" that aren't actually games at all because they contain no decisions. Why don't we just start flipping a coin repeatedly? Heads I drink, tails you drink...heads I drink, tails you drink...heads I drink, tails you drink...seems awfully pointless.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
me and my friends never play drinking games we just drink though sometimes will be watching a show or movie and be like we have to drink when this happens but no one really cares if you don't participate

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I like games. I think it's the drinking that sucks :D

wolfy

awsm
Man I hate drinking games! Not the games but the you have to drink part.
I want to drink when I want to bloody drink!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I always suck at Meiern. You need to roll two dices but dont show the result. Then you tell the next one in row a number starting with the highest value. Like "32", if you rolled 2 and 3. After 65 the next highest is a "11", then the "22"... The highest is the "21" whats called a Meier.

The thing is you can lie about your number and the next one in row has to guess if you were lieing or he believes you, then he has to beat your roll.

I need like 2 rounds of this game and I am under the table, completly drunk :D.

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah, that drinking game sounds really lame. Generally I don't even bother with games. After all just drinking is far more direct. However one time we played a Super Smash Bros. Brawl drinking game. That was pretty fun. Everyone played on random and the loser had to drink. It was entertaining. I learned the flaw in perfecting one character and ignoring the rest.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Like this shit called "Circle of Death" that my roommates and their friends always want to play. It consists basically of drawing random cards from a deck and then taking x number of drinks based on whatever system.

I always liked that game (I wonder if it exist outside of Atlanta?)...maybe your friends just suck at making up rules for it?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
simulatedworld: I agree with you. I think the main purpose of the games , however, is simply a way to socialize. Hell, I usually drink more than I have to for these games.
A popular drinking game my friends and I play is "King's Cup". There are different rules for different cards. It's an interesting game.
They are sissies though. I suggested and explained a more intense drinking game called Beer 99.
It is also one which requires strong calculation skills when inebriated. No one wants to play that game with me...

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't like any games that compromise the condition of the beverage. Beer pong? No thanks.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Pretty funny rant.

If you don't like the games, just say "screw yall" and sip on your own time from your own beer. ;)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When I used to play drinking games pretty often, I realized that I should think they suck, but I'm extremely good at beer pong. And I couldn't help liking it, no one hates games they're good at.

I agree with what someone else said, it's an excuse to socialize. The whole drinking game dynamic is barely about the game itself.

Qre:us

Last night, partay at the house, meaning no need to worry about getting 'home'.

My team: Flip cup CHAMPIONS!!!

There is a certain pride that goes with it (this mentality also helps nurse the hangover the next day).

:cheese:

* my hwed urts...help me!!

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I played the best combination of drinking games last week.
"Shooting Nazis" and "21".

"Shooting Nazis" is a simple game. It simply involves taking a shot- to kill a Nazi.
The more you drink, the more patriotic you are!
You play a country. I was Britain.

Then there is "21". The point of the game is to make it from the number 1 to 21 following a set of rules. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_(drinking_game).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
beer pong = germs, lots and lots of germs

Oh yes, it has a lot of germs! Think about the dirty floor, think about the fact that you have to throw that sticky germ-infested ball into an alcohol-filled cup and then drink from it...

Too bad it's so much goddamn fun...:D