User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Random Poetry Talk?

Hey, I love poetry, obsessively and compulsively, so I'm just wondering if we have any other poets/poetry lovers on the board who wanted to strike up random conversation about poets and poetry. We could even play type the poets! (Unless... you know... there was already an entire thread about that or something... )

I'll start:

I'm a huge Walt Whitman fan. I think Song of Myself is probably the best poem ever written by an American. The sheer intricate variety of the things that Whitman has come up with in the poem, from representing himself as a friend to the reader on some hypothetical journey, to the amazing bit (in section 37, I think) when he says "I troop forth, replished with supreme power, one of an average unending procession," just after he cries "enough! enough! Stand back. Somehow I have been stunn'd." And it's really ironic that I love Whitman so much now, because reading over him in school, I was totally turned off (O Captain My Captain seems like very boring, simple allegory at first glance), partially by his constant self-assertion, like someone trying to sell me on something. But now the constant self-assertion is the awesome part.

But anyway, any discussion of poetry is welcome on this thread, not just that which relates obviously to MBTI. I'm just into talking about literature.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Searching. I thought poets were good at it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP

Searching. I thought poets were good at it....
    Point taken, and no, just some of them/us.

I thought the other thread (the one on page 3, right?) was kinda old, so I though it was OK to start a new one, but I don't know forum rules around here. I'd be glad to delete this topic and post on the one on pg. 3 if that's more appropriate (I'm assuming that is at least one of the ones you're referring to?)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Sorry, I was thinking more of the typing threads, actually. In the pop culture section
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP

Ah. Meh, I don't really intend to start a whole typing thread (although that's fun). I just figured that if I wanted to get discussion started, I might as well do some discussing myself, and that's what came out. But, I might port that over to the thread you're talking about, edit my above posts, and sort of rewind the thread. Thanks.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Oh, no, not ANOTHER poetry thread!

If someone doesn't quickly put it out of its misery in a humane manner I see myself and blue are going to have no choice but to smother it to death with yet more of our perverted and unfathomable effusions

Actually I think it's fine to post on the other thread if you like, though it's getting a bit lengthy now! Threads last posted on in 2007 get resurrected on this site without anyone batting an eyelid most of the time, so I really wouldn't worry too much... There are quite a few other more specific threads devoted to poetry too (mostly but not all in this section). I would look a few up but I'm feeling too lazy right now so maybe another time if you haven't found them for yourself by then. There are also several people who post their own poetry on their blogs.

You look like you might want this thread to be more of a literary discussion thread devoted to poetry than a place for posting it though - which is fine by me, though I don't know how many other people will be interested. I'm pretty sure there's no poetry discussion thread already

I'd go for ENFP for Shakespeare, by the way, though he is usually given as an example of an INFP. But just because something is the general assumption doesn't make it beyond question, at least not for me! If you're interested i could elaborate some time, here or elsewhere!

Edit: Bad person, I see you removed the stuff about typing and Shakespeare while I was posting this and wandered off to do something else for a while. I hope it went elsewhere, as I think there could be an interesting discussion or two about that too...

Anyway, welcome to the forum
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

My current favorite poem, I think, is "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas. It's very expressive of my thoughts at times, and I'm trying to translate it into an invented language of mine...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Anentropic IxTx View Post
    My current favorite poem, I think, is "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas. It's very expressive of my thoughts at times, and I'm trying to translate it into an invented language of mine...
    Please do share

Actually, that sounds quite appropriate treatment for Thomas...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Please do share

Actually, that sounds quite appropriate treatment for Thomas...
    Ah, well... I'm really not much of a professional in this, and it could definitely do with some reduction, and the vocabulary's limited - yet here it is:
    Vocabe.pdf
    It's called Quren

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Drat, what happened to this thread? It got off to such a promising start. Come back Chris, we need you!

I'm afraid I haven't read enough of Whitman to have anything particularly intelligent to say on the subject. I take your point about being put off stuff by reading it in school - having it rammed down my throat on the grounds of it being *good for me* and being pushed into making conclusions about it to fit their preconcieved premises. That kind of stuff put me off Shakespeare (among others) for years afterwards. I can't tolerate "A midsummer night's dream" to this day. Though, admittedly, the chances are that I wouldn't be able to anyway