• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many fights have you been in?

How many actual fights have you been in?

• Total voters

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I don't understand how so many people have managed to avoid getting in fights. Is it perhaps a matter of differing definitions as to what constitutes a "real fight" (eg if the blood sprays less than 5m it's just playing around)? Do you back down/move away when a fight threatens, or do you never get into situations where someone wants to fight you in the first place?

Mostly the last, for me. While it's true that I'm not confrontational in general, the situation's never arisen, either. Of course, I don't go to bars, clubs, or really anyplace with a large population of strangers in close proximity, so that's probably most of it. I'm somewhat surprised that so many people have seen/been involved in fights of one sort or another - but just listening it seems that not only the fights, but the environments in which they've taken place (other than school as a kid) are mostly outside of my experience.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I've had enough to know looking back that they are largely not worth the time and energy that you think when you are young. Before I'd lift my hand now, I (or another)would have to be under extreme duress...I'd much rather neutralize an opponent than defeat them..violence is somewhat demeaning to our nature I believe. I struggle with a short temper though...I guess it develops character.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Used to bounce at a Country & Western bar in Georgia, and other places.
Hey! Me, too! :smile:
Except the bar was on skid row in a city in Maine.
I wasn't the bouncer per se, but I was in charge,
and I bounced 2 fights.
I was 19.

One of them... I stood between two drunk guys fighting over a pool game with my arms spread open.
I told them they weren't allowed to do that in there,
and if they wanted to fight, they could go out side into the alley.
It took about 30 seconds, I guess.
Afterward, a friend of my father's who was there said that was a pretty brave thing I did,
but I just saw it as my job.
A bar can lose its liquor license if they have fighting.
That was back in the good old days though, when a man wouldn't hit a woman.

I bounced another fight that was just about to start.
I was out-sized by this really masculine woman, and my knees were almost knocking.
I was terrified, cause she could have knocked me out,
but my position of authority and my tough "act" worked.
She didn't call my bluff.

I was a lot more fearless when I was young. :smile:

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I used to have a really bad stutter when I was younger.

In class, a kid started making fun of it in an extremely obnoxious way. I punched him in the face.

That's the only physical fight type deal I've been involved with lol

Steve_The_Cat

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
:yes: Damn! I would really enjoy a good fight right now.

I've had my share of fights, but nothing serious. I can usually talk my way out of any situation.

Biax, wanna fight!? :threaten:

(Please don't hurt me!) :puppy_dog_eyes:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
:yes: Damn! I would really enjoy a good fight right now.

I've had my share of fights, but nothing serious. I can usually talk my way out of any situation.

Biax, wanna fight!? :threaten:

(Please don't hurt me!) :puppy_dog_eyes:

Sure, we'll use full pads. No groin shots or eye gouges. Everything else is fair. First one unconscious is the loser. Then we go eat, and drink beer. If I can see I'll cook. :)

P.S. INTJMom I knew I liked you. :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
a few with my brother when i was younger and less capable of handling things maturely

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've never had to physically fight another human. So I think I'd be at a real disadvantage if I was ever in that situation.

I've been in similar situations with my teens in the day. In those cases it was more a matter of restraining them or stepping aside.

I can remember two times when my life was both physically and verbally threatened. One was a man at my back with an arm around me and a knife at my throat and the other was while I was seated and a man holding a chair above my head and threatening to bash my brains out.

The first was in a bar and the other was in a professional setting.

As Mom did, I felt little fear, thought fast and talked it through. Must be lucky?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Bang goes my earlier theory, was just attacked by my somewhat derranged elder brother :shock: despite making semi-reasonable effort to defuse situation...

Luckily he doesn't seem to know how to box (or whatever the hell he thought he was doing) half as well as he knows how to threaten and posture, suffering from the grave missaprehension that he can either intimidate me or win the fight having failed to merely because he is older. *Leaves him to calm down before attempting to talk to him again, ruefully ammends poll answer to an honest "I'm fighting right now," hoping that a round two won't be necessary.*

Phooey :(

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
As a teenager, I had a lot of fights. Hundreds actually, but fairly rule-based (no gouging, kicking in the balls, knives, etc.)

Ah, nostalgia.

Haven't done much fisty-cuffs lately, though. The last time I clunked someone my hand hurt for a week. Knocked the bugger out, though.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Following on from my earlier post, I think I have a good new definition of an idiot: someone who thinks that a person who can block half a dozen intended punches to their head in succession and is still remaining calm and trying to reason with you will NOT do something rather more harmful back when they finally lose patience with the ridiculous situation. It's a very stupid thing to confuse forbearance with weakness :rolli:

He's apparantly walking around with a face like a lemon now (possibly in more senses than one; I didn't enquire too closely) which really does serve him right. I just wish I could have got more satisfaction from the situation. I appear to be so lacking in that aggressive, mean streak, that I can't even enjoy defeating someone who was really, seriously, trying to do me some unprovoked harm :huh: