User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Default The Day The Music Died

Fifty years ago this weekend Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J. P. (The Big Bopper) Richardson died when their small aircraft crashed in a snowy cornfield near Clear Lake IA.

This was a pivotal point in the progression of popular music.

Do you know other, later famous, performers who were connected with this event? A story about who was on the plane and why? Music that is connected with this event?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

According to one of my favorite movies, The Commitments, Buddy Holly's last words were "We can't travel in that shit heap!"
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

"The Commitments is a favorite of mine also. What a motley crew of hopefuls!

It was a cold night and some of the band members were feeling ill. Their next performance was in Fargo, ND, a long, cold drive in the prairie night.

Two lives were saved that night by the coincidences of fate.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Do you know other, later famous, performers who were connected with this event? A story about who was on the plane and why? Music that is connected with this event?
    Don McLean wrote the song "American Pie" about it.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP

There's little interest in this subject, apparently. But it's an interesting bit of the history of rock and roll.

The member of the Crickets whose life was saved by graciously offering his seat on the plane was Waylon Jennings who went on to become a star of country music with his endeavors with Willy Nelson in the Seventies.

Another good band musician, whose last name was Allsop, lost a toss of the coin to The Big Bopper who is remembered for his, "Chantilly Lace." "Hey, Baby! You knooooow what I like."

You probably are familiar with Richie Vallens' "La Bamba."

Holly's charming love ballad, "Maria Alena," was dedicated to his soon-to-be-widowed wife down in Lubbock,TX.

When the band reached their Fargo destination the attitude was that the show must go on. Rather strange in itself after three famous deaths. And an unknown singer named Bobby Vee got his first big break up there that night.

Those of you who aren't familiar with Buddy Holly may enjoy some of his music. When my son found our old records at about the age thirteen he listened to them over and over again. I think I hear an influence in The Mersey Beat which was just beginning at that time.

I've always had a personal interest in this as I spent many fun nights dancing at The Surf ballroom in Clear Lake, IA which was their last venue. And tonight The Last Dance Party will be held here in Mankato with cover acts of the original tour group and Fifties clothing. Fun. This was the town where they played before moving on to Clear Lake.

Right on the tender cusp of when rock and roll made a leap into something new.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Don McLean wrote the song "American Pie" about it.
    Ah, NOW I understand it, thanx

It's a sad event though... it would probably be even sadder for me if i knew the music better. I wonder how much the loss actually changed the course of music at that time...?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not sure about that.

Perhaps some of our English friends will fill us in. I know that the English groups which became poplular in the early Sixties were strongly influenced by American popular music and I believe that Buddy Holly was a favorite of some of them.

He was sort of this original nerd sort of guy. Suit, horn-rimmed glasses. Seemed quite a contrast to the kids who were into duck-tail haircuts and turned-up collars. Some of us would have called him a "square."

And, of course, he was married. That did not bode well for his hopeful female fans. I remember when The Beatles got popular their marriages were kept secret for fear it would dwindle their fan base.

MBTI
    INFP

Here he is singing "Peggy Sue." It's pretty corny but at that time it was something new and different. In the intro some "fabulous" Fifties chick mades the comment "Now regardless of what you think of rock and roll. . ." which at that time was precious little by the adults in our lives. So of course we HAD to like it!

I think Creedence Clearwater Revival did a cover of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhgO8rZs

Broken URL. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. . . You can find it if you're interested.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Ah, NOW I understand it, thanx