• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Day The Music Died

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Fifty years ago this weekend Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and J. P. (The Big Bopper) Richardson died when their small aircraft crashed in a snowy cornfield near Clear Lake IA.

This was a pivotal point in the progression of popular music.

Do you know other, later famous, performers who were connected with this event? A story about who was on the plane and why? Music that is connected with this event?

MBTI Type
INTJ
According to one of my favorite movies, The Commitments, Buddy Holly's last words were "We can't travel in that shit heap!" :D

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
"The Commitments is a favorite of mine also. What a motley crew of hopefuls!

It was a cold night and some of the band members were feeling ill. Their next performance was in Fargo, ND, a long, cold drive in the prairie night.

Two lives were saved that night by the coincidences of fate.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you know other, later famous, performers who were connected with this event? A story about who was on the plane and why? Music that is connected with this event?

Don McLean wrote the song "American Pie" about it.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
There's little interest in this subject, apparently. But it's an interesting bit of the history of rock and roll.

The member of the Crickets whose life was saved by graciously offering his seat on the plane was Waylon Jennings who went on to become a star of country music with his endeavors with Willy Nelson in the Seventies.

Another good band musician, whose last name was Allsop, lost a toss of the coin to The Big Bopper who is remembered for his, "Chantilly Lace." "Hey, Baby! You knooooow what I like."

You probably are familiar with Richie Vallens' "La Bamba."

Holly's charming love ballad, "Maria Alena," was dedicated to his soon-to-be-widowed wife down in Lubbock,TX.

When the band reached their Fargo destination the attitude was that the show must go on. Rather strange in itself after three famous deaths. And an unknown singer named Bobby Vee got his first big break up there that night.

Those of you who aren't familiar with Buddy Holly may enjoy some of his music. When my son found our old records at about the age thirteen he listened to them over and over again. I think I hear an influence in The Mersey Beat which was just beginning at that time.

I've always had a personal interest in this as I spent many fun nights dancing at The Surf ballroom in Clear Lake, IA which was their last venue. And tonight The Last Dance Party will be held here in Mankato with cover acts of the original tour group and Fifties clothing. Fun. This was the town where they played before moving on to Clear Lake.

Right on the tender cusp of when rock and roll made a leap into something new.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Don McLean wrote the song "American Pie" about it.

Ah, NOW I understand it, thanx :thumbup:

It's a sad event though... it would probably be even sadder for me if i knew the music better. I wonder how much the loss actually changed the course of music at that time...?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure about that.

Perhaps some of our English friends will fill us in. I know that the English groups which became poplular in the early Sixties were strongly influenced by American popular music and I believe that Buddy Holly was a favorite of some of them.

He was sort of this original nerd sort of guy. Suit, horn-rimmed glasses. Seemed quite a contrast to the kids who were into duck-tail haircuts and turned-up collars. Some of us would have called him a "square."

And, of course, he was married. That did not bode well for his hopeful female fans. I remember when The Beatles got popular their marriages were kept secret for fear it would dwindle their fan base.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Here he is singing "Peggy Sue." It's pretty corny but at that time it was something new and different. In the intro some "fabulous" Fifties chick mades the comment "Now regardless of what you think of rock and roll. . ." which at that time was precious little by the adults in our lives. So of course we HAD to like it!

I think Creedence Clearwater Revival did a cover of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhgO8rZs

Broken URL. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. . . You can find it if you're interested.

Atomic Fiend

Ah, NOW I understand it, thanx :thumbup:

slowpoke.gif