123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Should They Have Backed Off?

Maybe this is more a philosophical, relational, or ethical question, but it's sports-related so....

A blowout women's basketball game between competing Christian high schools has people in a tizzy.

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off." ..
    What do you think?

Was it dishonorable for the leading team to press its advantage and not let up (as an ethical standard of excellence), or do you think that it would have been better to ease up and play on a lesser level out of a sense of compassion?

(Or are these two things not actually exclusive at all?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Is this PC at it's most foolish? Or is it an attempt to introduce Christian principles into the pagan practice of sports?

*Wanders off in thought.*
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Definitely some of the latter (that's what routinely happens, real life is always subjected to the larger "Christian ethics" framework, whether or not that assimilation is an organic one)... I'm not sure how much of the former is involved but was curious to see what people thought.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't understand why you would even put a team on the court if they can't score a single basket in a game. I mean, full court press or not, ZERO points?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I don't understand why you would even put a team on the court if they can't score a single basket in a game. I mean, full court press or not, ZERO points?
    If you read the article, you'll see more info about the losing team that might explain some of this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

It's just poor sportsmanship that misses the point of the exercise.

Typically, most kids who play in high school sports won't go on to play in college. As such, high school sports primarily function not as a means to better oneself athletically, but as a methodology to enhance effective group behavior towards the achievement of a goal. Things like resource management and territorial defense are instrumental skills to crystallize, for the service of things later in life vastly more important than intramural competition.

Is it wrong to be overzealous in victory? Maybe. As an ideal, this is not succinctly the issue at stake here -- merely a byproduct of broken focus. It's ultimately detrimental to the notion of group harmony if one's desire for victory overcomes their respect for their opponent's dignity in failure.

This shift in emphasis sets a misguided example for what team victory truly constitutes -- synergism of talent to accomplish a goal not possible on an individual level. Effective cooperation with diverse ability is an indelible part of being an adult.

The purpose of school is to provide instruction on how to succeed as an adult. Winning without thought for what it means to "win" pollutes this goal.

I think sportsmanship is about things like not cheating, not trying to injure an opponent, not grandstanding, and respecting the game. Not about tempering excellence.

Would it have been a kind thing to do to let off the throttle? Surely. But I don't think it makes them bad sports that they didn't. I didn't see any report that they taunted or showboated. It does bother me that they kept shooting threes a little, but there's another way to look at it. What if the winning school was involved in a tiebreaker based on total points? What if the winning school was close to a record for most points scored in a game?

In the end, competition is about trying your best. That's what we're always told. So I guess I'd say that the winning team wasn't very nice, but that sports do not require us to be nice, they require us to give our maximum effort and see how it measures up to that of our opponent.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you read the article, you'll see more info about the losing team that might explain some of this.
    Since when can I be bothered to read an entire article?

Makes me want to see a tape of the game, though. It sounds pretty entertaining.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTj

I don't think compassion and hard work have to be mutually exclusive. While I think 100-0 is really running up the score, there is no reason why a team cannot play hard but still display good sportsmanship. I think there is honor in that victory.

The coaches cheering wildly from the sidelines is in poor taste though. They should be trying to teach a bit of humility to the players.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

This is like when I play basketball against my 3 and 4 year old female cousins. Do I take it easy on them? Hell no. I block nearly 99% of their shots, steal the ball from them constantly (when they're not getting called for traveling), foul or goal tend when I think it'll prevent them from scoring, and dribble over their heads. I think that's all part of trying to give them an opportunity to improve their game and give them a standard of excellence to strive for. It also exposes them to dirty tactics they'll experience on the court later, like charging and offensive fouls. I can't help it if I'm a natural teacher, y'know?