• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should They Have Backed Off?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe this is more a philosophical, relational, or ethical question, but it's sports-related so....

A blowout women's basketball game between competing Christian high schools has people in a tizzy.

What do you think?

Was it dishonorable for the leading team to press its advantage and not let up (as an ethical standard of excellence), or do you think that it would have been better to ease up and play on a lesser level out of a sense of compassion?

(Or are these two things not actually exclusive at all?)

LOL. No. Absolutely no case. As long as they weren't verbally insulting the other team or anything, it should be fine. No reason to back off their game...everyone who gets into team sports does so at his own risk of losing and feeling bad about it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
From the description in the article it wasn't a game at all, more of a drill for the winning team, so I don't understand why anyone would complain about the score. I assume the losing team had the option of shaking hands and defaulting the game by walking off the court at any time, they stayed, the other team made baskets.

Would it have been less humiliating if the strong team had just spent the whole second half passing the ball around like a game of keep away? Should they have scored on their own basket and toyed with the other team? That would have been pretty silly and even more insulting I would think. The strong team was put in an impossible situation. The coach decided that practicing layups was better than goofing off, and now the coach is the bad guy. You can't please everyone.

These are my thoughts exactly. The situation, either way, is delicate.

Anyone know the extent of the "learning differences" for the students from the losing team? This seems highly relevant to the discussion if their developmental(?) problems impair their ability to meet the challenges of their peers athletically and strategically.

My general thought process is if they pit the teams against each other with full camera crews involved.. then they must have been deemed capable of competing against each other. I don't think anything was done just to make Dallas Academy look like trashketball players.

The whole situation is quite silly. If the other team played VERY well first half, realized there was no hope for the other team, and eased up, it'd be painfully obvious and insulting.

If they continued to score, the results are as follows. The coaches should have shown humility, but there's no contoling fans either way.

I agree with Jeffster though.. ZERO points is zero points. If it had been even 100-1, there might be hope but.. this is like something that happens in movies. I agree that this game is just a game, since most students don't go past high school.. but that team went in with absolutely NOTHING, which is obvious from the scoreboard. It's just as well they got their asses handed to them.. that is the way sports go.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see where they're coming from, since Christianity itself is based on pity, weakness, yielding, passivity and submissiveness.

Usually it gets branded as compassion and an intention to honor and love others... although sometimes that's not what is actually happening. But usually the intent is decent enough.

So the losing team was simply "turning the other cheek" over and over again while unconditionally loving their opponent - which failed to notice these subtleties and kept mercilessly hitting them over and over again like only a sinful heathen would.

Ah, so you've read the article about these long-suffering saints!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, read the article. Why is a school for disabled children planning sports events against regular schools? This sounds like pretty poor planning...a recipe for disappointment.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Since when can't dyslexic people play basketball? If anything, maybe when they read the score they saw it backwards. :static:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Ack.

Certainly good intentions gone awry.

I doubt that the kind of compassion, entertwined with teaching and encouragement, respect that you displayed with your son can be tought in the arena of team sports.

They seem mutually exclusive.

These folks seem to have picked the wrong medium to illustrate their values.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well from what I read they should noth have been playing each other to beging with. I am usaully one to say that is your job to stop the other team but given the circumstances in which the other team was playing under I guess it was clearly over the top. It would be like the Patriots running up the score on a high school team.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone needed to throw a few elbows.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since the majority of us think they shouldn't have been playing anyway, but they did so... it probably is more interesting to focus on -- since they DID play -- how should they have composed themselves?

How would good sportmans values play out appropriately?
How would "Christian values" be accurately applied?
Was what happened "unchristian"?
If not, are Christian values and sports excellence in conflict here?
Etc.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Didn't read the story but have gotten the gist of what happened. I don't really know how sports games work though. :doh:

But I'm surprised it's not possible for the winning team to just call an end to the game when it's obvious they're better and they're blowing the other team out of the water. Halftime would have been the appropriate time for that to happen. Second half shouldn't have even happened.

Is it always the losing team that has to call the game off and forfeit it?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm confused. I think people are supposed to do their best to win. I think it's kind of ridiculous to imply that someone "should" cut their opponent some slack in a competition. If they didn't cheat, they didn't do anything wrong.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Good questions, Jennifer.. Only I believe you ought to know exactly what's going to happen going in. In this sense.. if they shouldn't have played, but wanted to anyways, and got creamed.. Why should it be on the other team?

The problems stated earlier about being insulting either way would be present.. I dont' think it was a christian or unchristian thing.. merely a game that probably shouldn't have happened, but did. Either side should feel bad, although the loser side would feel a bit creamed..

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
No way I'm handing over a loss because the other team needs to get their skills up. Either you step on the court and play, and win, or you lose by whatever means that is. If you can't handle it take yourself off the game or get your skills up!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like insight about my position. I think losing that badly would be very insightful. To me it would be very insulting to have someone much better than me nurf their own performance, as to let me have an effectively false score.

I don't think most of the morals theoretically being applied here really make sense when it comes to sports, or games in general. I mean, the points in a game don't actually have any value. Where does compassion enter into this? If, say, the only way people made money was based on how much they scored in sports, then I'd understand the need for compassion. But as it is, points are just a mechanism of the game, and the game is just for entertainment.

And you know, the point is to win. Because of this, the sense of fun often comes from the competition, and the sense of satisfaction is only possible if you earned your success. If I know someone isn't trying their best against me, I lose all interest in playing. There'd be nothing generous about someone letting me score points then, because the only purpose of the game is entertainment, and now it wouldn't be entertaining at all. The only value the points have, is essentially removed if I know their simply being given to me.

I don't know, perhaps other people have a completely different idea of what games are for that I'm not aware of. This situation to me looks like a misunderstanding of what competetive games are all about.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Was what happened "unchristian"?
If not, are Christian values and sports excellence in conflict here?
Etc.

These are interesting questions. While I attended a Christian college for one year and played on a woman's basketball team, I have no idea what my coaches had in mind regarding sportsmanship and Christianity.

Certainly they must have been trying to get some message across and apparently I didn't pay much attention. My focus in team sports has always been to be part of the cooperative effort to beat, preferably anihilate, the other team. Heh.

The Christian viewpoint from my perspective would be the body as "Temple of the Lord." To be well-maintained and used to its fullest potential as a precious gift.

When playing a game, that would mean practicing, building physical strength and skill and then exhibiting the same to prevail over the other team. (Gee. I wonder if that would mean one team were better Christians than the other! Or simply given finer "gifts" by their Maker. ;)) That doesn't work very well.

I think charity would be best practiced on a one-to-one basis. It seems personally dishonest in most one-to-one competition to not do one's best. That's excepting the situation Jennifer described above where she is teaching her child and instilling some values.

Then there is that other, more stealthy practice, of sand-bagging to draw an opponent in and make the kill particularly satisfying.

A large group of students hardly seems the place where teaching through this example, or demonstrating the Christian value of charity would be applicable.

Need to hear more. . .

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a Christian, but I just fail to see where Christianity means throwing a game to spare the other side the embarrassment. Sports are by nature competitive. You come to play your best and your hardest, and the outcome is what it is. If you were worried about the other side's feelings and self-esteem the whole time, no one would ever win a game. You'd have a bunch of feel-good ties that don't mean anything. Much like in kids' soccer leagues where everyone gets a trophy for trying. I'm not a sports person at all, but I don't see the point in playing team sports at all if you aren't going to compete.

I suppose you could actually argue that going easy on the other team is kind of dishonest. (Edit: just saw Anja made that point!)

I've been seeing this story on the news all day, and each time, my response has been, "Really? Wow."

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's not about throwing the game, it's about having the kids score less, practice harder moves, put in the kids who don't get to play as much because they aren't as good.

I don't know how high school works but in (elementary school) rec leagues it's bad form to win like that. When my kids soccer teams used to kick butt (before they switched to a harder league the next year) they would practice certain plays and stuff. He would never let them run up an extreme score if it was obvious they were so much better than the other team.

I imagine they could have done something other than go 100-0. Especially if they are apologizing. It's possible they just left their best players in and tried to get the highest score possible.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
What do you think?

Was it dishonorable for the leading team to press its advantage and not let up (as an ethical standard of excellence), or do you think that it would have been better to ease up and play on a lesser level out of a sense of compassion?
Yes.

A win that preserves the other team's sense of self-worth is still a win. I'm not saying they should play beneath their ability just to let the other team have a chance (which would be condescending), but a slaughter like that is perverse.