First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maybe this is more a philosophical, relational, or ethical question, but it's sports-related so....

A blowout women's basketball game between competing Christian high schools has people in a tizzy.

What do you think?

Was it dishonorable for the leading team to press its advantage and not let up (as an ethical standard of excellence), or do you think that it would have been better to ease up and play on a lesser level out of a sense of compassion?

(Or are these two things not actually exclusive at all?)
    LOL. No. Absolutely no case. As long as they weren't verbally insulting the other team or anything, it should be fine. No reason to back off their game...everyone who gets into team sports does so at his own risk of losing and feeling bad about it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's just an incendiary device.

Maybe it will ignite meaningful discussion . . . ?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    From the description in the article it wasn't a game at all, more of a drill for the winning team, so I don't understand why anyone would complain about the score. I assume the losing team had the option of shaking hands and defaulting the game by walking off the court at any time, they stayed, the other team made baskets.

Would it have been less humiliating if the strong team had just spent the whole second half passing the ball around like a game of keep away? Should they have scored on their own basket and toyed with the other team? That would have been pretty silly and even more insulting I would think. The strong team was put in an impossible situation. The coach decided that practicing layups was better than goofing off, and now the coach is the bad guy. You can't please everyone.
    These are my thoughts exactly. The situation, either way, is delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Anyone know the extent of the "learning differences" for the students from the losing team? This seems highly relevant to the discussion if their developmental(?) problems impair their ability to meet the challenges of their peers athletically and strategically.
    My general thought process is if they pit the teams against each other with full camera crews involved.. then they must have been deemed capable of competing against each other. I don't think anything was done just to make Dallas Academy look like trashketball players.

The whole situation is quite silly. If the other team played VERY well first half, realized there was no hope for the other team, and eased up, it'd be painfully obvious and insulting.

If they continued to score, the results are as follows. The coaches should have shown humility, but there's no contoling fans either way.

I agree with Jeffster though.. ZERO points is zero points. If it had been even 100-1, there might be hope but.. this is like something that happens in movies. I agree that this game is just a game, since most students don't go past high school.. but that team went in with absolutely NOTHING, which is obvious from the scoreboard. It's just as well they got their asses handed to them.. that is the way sports go.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    I can see where they're coming from, since Christianity itself is based on pity, weakness, yielding, passivity and submissiveness.
    Usually it gets branded as compassion and an intention to honor and love others... although sometimes that's not what is actually happening. But usually the intent is decent enough.

So the losing team was simply "turning the other cheek" over and over again while unconditionally loving their opponent - which failed to notice these subtleties and kept mercilessly hitting them over and over again like only a sinful heathen would.
    Ah, so you've read the article about these long-suffering saints!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

OK, read the article. Why is a school for disabled children planning sports events against regular schools? This sounds like pretty poor planning...a recipe for disappointment.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTj

Since when can't dyslexic people play basketball? If anything, maybe when they read the score they saw it backwards.

MBTI
    INFP

Ack.

Certainly good intentions gone awry.

I doubt that the kind of compassion, entertwined with teaching and encouragement, respect that you displayed with your son can be tought in the arena of team sports.

They seem mutually exclusive.

These folks seem to have picked the wrong medium to illustrate their values.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFj

Well from what I read they should noth have been playing each other to beging with. I am usaully one to say that is your job to stop the other team but given the circumstances in which the other team was playing under I guess it was clearly over the top. It would be like the Patriots running up the score on a high school team.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Someone needed to throw a few elbows.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Since the majority of us think they shouldn't have been playing anyway, but they did so... it probably is more interesting to focus on -- since they DID play -- how should they have composed themselves?

How would good sportmans values play out appropriately?
    How would "Christian values" be accurately applied?
    Was what happened "unchristian"?
    If not, are Christian values and sports excellence in conflict here?
    Etc.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft