First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have mixed feelings.

When my eldest son was five, we would play checkers, and I would beat him each time. At that point, I wanted him to feel good about himself if he won, and I wanted to challenge him rather than creating a false sense of competence.

But sometimes the response for a child faced with such terrible odds is resignation and indifference, and I saw that happening. He responded a lot better when I played just above his skill level; it would leave him feeling as if he were improving (which he was) and encouraged him to try again and again, and feel good about how he was doing.

Eventually we reached days where I had to work hard to not lose.

And then came the day when I tried and still lost anyway.

So, speaking from a coach perspective, I think it's valuable to set goals appropriately, and it's not always the best approach long-term to just plow over the unskilled; most people seem to become demoralized rather than inspired to try harder.

However, this situation is a little different. The winning team is not comprised of coaches, they're compromised of those who are still being taught; so it's not their responsibility to make these decisions for the other team.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

They could not help that the team they were playing against was no good, to allow your players to play at a lesser level only helps to condition them to play at a lesser level in their next game.

MBTI
    xxxx

From the description in the article it wasn't a game at all, more of a drill for the winning team, so I don't understand why anyone would complain about the score. I assume the losing team had the option of shaking hands and defaulting the game by walking off the court at any time, they stayed, the other team made baskets.

Would it have been less humiliating if the strong team had just spent the whole second half passing the ball around like a game of keep away? Should they have scored on their own basket and toyed with the other team? That would have been pretty silly and even more insulting I would think. The strong team was put in an impossible situation. The coach decided that practicing layups was better than goofing off, and now the coach is the bad guy. You can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Would it have been less humiliating if the strong team had just spent the whole second half passing the ball around like a game of keep away? Should they have scored on their own basket and toyed with the other team? That would have been pretty silly and even more insulting I would think.
    Agreed. If getting beat 100-0 is more insulting to you than being pitied, then why are you playing sports? I think a lot of the blame here goes to the losing school for scheduling a game with the winning school. Put the kids in situations where they can compete.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Put the kids in situations where they can compete.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.
    Anyone know the extent of the "learning differences" for the students from the losing team? This seems highly relevant to the discussion if their developmental(?) problems impair their ability to meet the challenges of their peers athletically and strategically.
    Last edited by iwakar; 01-23-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: qualifier
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Anyone know the extent of the "learning differences" for the students from the losing team? This seems highly relevant to the discussion if their developmental(?) problems impair their ability to meet the challenges of their peers athletically and strategically.
    Another reason why the most compelling question here is not "Should they have run up the score?" but "Why was this game scheduled in the first place?"

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'll guess the game was scheduled because the league isn't very big -- it sounds like it's all private Christian schools, maybe they're in a little Christian league with other Christian schools? And there just aren't many teams to begin with?

I dunno. You know how exclusive those sort of things can get, in terms of who plays with who.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I can see where they're coming from, since Christianity itself is based on pity, weakness, yielding, passivity and submissiveness.

So the losing team was simply "turning the other cheek" over and over again while unconditionally loving their opponent - which failed to notice these subtleties and kept mercilessly hitting them over and over again like only a sinful heathen would.

Johari
    /Nohari