User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Oscar Nominations for 2008

So, the Oscar nominations for last year have been announced. Check them out here:

OSCAR.com - 81st Annual Academy Awards - Nominees

Any surprises or outrages? The Dark Knight is still probably the best new movie I've seen in the past year, but it did not earn a Best Picture nomination. I have yet to see Revolutionary Road, although some seem surprised that Leo did not get a Best Actor nomination. The only definite I think I see is WALL-E. IMHO, that should be a shoo-in for Best Animated Feature. There are lots of movies here that I have not seen yet. More than usual for me, I would say.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Re. Revolutionary Road, I saw it earlier this week, and just my opinion but I wasn't terribly wowed by Leonardo's performance. I think he's done better in other films, but to be fair, much of it might have been due to the screenplay.
    It was just a bit difficult to buy into his character.

I fully approve of the supporting role nomination from the film though. He was the most interesting character of the film in my opinion, and one of its saving graces. (film wasn't bad by any means, and actually I enjoyed it, but there was something about it that just seemed kinda weak to me - screenplay, perhaps too dramatic, something else, not sure...)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

My predictions for Best Visual Effects were right on the money, as I have illustrated in my blog.

Benjamin Button should win in that category. And it was the only Best Picture contender I saw.

Heath Ledger's corpse will walk on stage to accept the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

And you spelled Nominations wrong.

MBTI
    infp

I'm dissapointed Benjamin Button was nominated for so many while the Dark Knight didn't get best picture (8 nominations is still decent though). I didn't think Benjamin Button was that good a movie at all... I would never nominate it for best picture, let alone 13 nominations (maybe best cinematograppy or something, but not the others). I think my exact reaction when I saw on TV that BB got 13 nominations was "*jumps up out of chair* What the hell?!".

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I'm dissapointed Benjamin Button was nominated for so many while the Dark Knight didn't get best picture (8 nominations is still decent though). I didn't think Benjamin Button was that good a movie at all... I would never nominate it for best picture, let alone 13 nominations (maybe best cinematograppy or something, but not the others). I think my exact reaction when I saw on TV that BB got 13 nominations was "*jumps up out of chair* What the hell?!".
    Benjamin Button had some of the most amazing visual effects since Jurassic Park.

And The Dark Knight was highly overrated. I fell out of my chair when it got nominated for Best Art Direction. (It was quite obviously Chicago.)

MBTI
    infp

The Dark Knight overrated? It's not like it got nominated for Best Picture. It's not like it got nominated for 13 awards. Benjamin Button is overrated.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    The Dark Knight overrated? It's not like it got nominated for Best Picture. It's not like it got nominated for 13 awards. Benjamin Button is overrated.
    Titanic got nominated for 14 awards (and won 11, I believe).

The Dark Knight was garbage. I don't see why everyone liked it so much. It was all hype, intensified because of Heath Ledger. People are sheep.

Slumdog Millionaire will win Best Picture, though.

I miss the Best Picture contenders of the late '70s and '80s -- movies like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark -- they tended to be popcorn entertainment without the pretense that peppers today's movies. Now the big Oscar contenders are movies that no one cares about and no one's ever heard of.

I must confess, I've never heard of Slumdog Millionaire until today.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I liked the Dark Knight. Ending blew a bit, but I enjoyed Ledger's performance. I like what Nolan has done with the series, it's impressive how they've able to make a comic book/superhero movie into more than the typical cliched mess of garbage. I think Nolan deserved a best director nom, but I'm fine with Dark Knight not getting a picture nomination. Slumdog Millionaire was crap, the Wrestler was ten times better. I'm surprised The Wrestler got snubbed in the Picture category.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Another movie that I don't understand why it got a bunch of Oscars was Gladiator. That really was a dumb movie.

MBTI
    infp

I agree with you about pretense, Uber. And Benjamin Button is the most pretensious movie I can recall off the top of my head.