User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

TDK no best picture nomination???! WTH! This is outrageous!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Yeah, The Dark Knight was the best Hollywood summer blockbuster I've seen in a looooooooong time.

Almost as good as the original Star Wars trilogy movies.

I haven't seen several of the major contenders, so I really shouldn't even be posting. That said...

1. It's a travesty the way animated movies are ghettoized by the Best Animated Feature category. Wall-E was the best movie I saw this year. It was lyrical, beautiful, and the best romance I've seen in a while. When did you ever think you could say that an animated movie about robots was a great romance?

1. The Dark Knight got punked. In my opinion it's the best superhero movie ever made. I liked Batman Begins, but this was even better. And I'm not even close to being a comic book guy.

2. The acclaim for Benjamin Button makes me scratch my head.

3. Speed Racer deserved a nomination for Best Visual Effects. Conceptually and creatively (if not technically), the effects were original and exciting.

4. To follow up on a theme someone else brought up, Shakespeare In Love is always the movie I think of when I think of lackluster Best Picture winners. That win was the crowning glory of the Miramax style of Oscar campaigning. Looking back, Saving Private Ryan (the deserving winner) and Life Is Beautiful are the only movies in the discussion for 1998 that anyone still cares about.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    3. Speed Racer deserved a nomination for Best Visual Effects. Conceptually and creatively (if not technically), the effects were original and exciting.
    I agree with this totally. I was surprised when I saw that it did not even make any of the two long lists at the VFX Bake-Off (the List of 15 and the List of 7).

But I hope Benjamin Button wins in the category, as it was also a stunning technical achievement. If I had not done research on it beforehand, I would've never guessed that "young" Benjamin was CG, but merely Brad Pitt in makeup.

And it's not the amount of awards a movie is nominated for, it's what the movie's nominated for. And I think Benjamin Button deserved nods in nearly all the minor categories; excellent cinematography, music, makeup, etc.

As for major categories, I thought it was one of the best movies I saw this year, but that's possibly because I also thought Forrest Gump was a good movie, the structure of which is closely followed in Button. That said, I don't think it really deserved a nod for Best Screenplay.

In terms of effects, I didn't think The Dark Knight was anything too original, and Iron Man largely seemed like Transformers Lite.

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

It is amazing The Dark Knight wasn't in there. Especially since it made more money than any movie all year.
    If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool. -Carl Gustav Jung *I-74* *N-53* *T-95* *J-89*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Personally, I felt Superman (1978) was Oscar material.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Personally, I felt Superman (1978) was Oscar material.

I preferred Superman II, but they were both very good.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

I can't agree about Saving Private Ryan. 75 minutes of epic violent anarchy, then about 100 more of mawkishness and (frankly) unheroic behavior really got to me. I'd rather watch about 20 war movies before that movie, any day of the week.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

The Dark Knight...I think Ledger had one of the best performances I've ever seen on film, and should definitely win his nomination. However, the film as a whole is just plain imperfect going by any standards. It has great things in it, but is not composed like a classic. There are dead points near the beginning, for example.

Wall-E and Step-Brothers were my favorite films of the year, and it's uncharacteristic of me to choose "kids" movies or comedies as favorites. I just adored Wall-E, especially that they got away with the slow but sublime first act. And Step-Brothers usurped 40yo Virgin as the movie which made me ROFL most in history.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I am definitely jumping on the bandwagon of being pissed-off about The Dark Knight.

That was best picture material, damn it! How much you wanna bet that the award goes to some movie no one will talk about beyond this Oscar season? Mean time, Batman doesn't even get nominated.
    Go to sleep, iguana.