Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I agree with you about pretense, Uber. And Benjamin Button is the most pretensious movie I can recall off the top of my head.
    But the special effects were state-of-the-art and awesome. And that makes all the difference in the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    But the special effects were state-of-the-art and awesome. And that makes all the difference in the world.
    No.
    The only reason that the dark knight was good was of Ledger's performance.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The term "overrated" is overrated.

That said, the Oscars are all flash without substance. Industry insiders patting each other on the back. Oscar wins hardly mean anything anymore, anyway. It's like they're giving them away at Starbucks.

That also said, I smiled when No Country for Old Men won last year, just because I'm a Coen brothers fanatic and because it was actually my favorite movie last year. I would've been almost as happy had There Will Be Blood won. Both were excellent.

The Dark Knight was pretty good, Ledger and Eckhart were EXCELLENT in it. I didn't like it enough to call it "the best," though.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    infp

To you it does. Having good special effects alone doesn't make for a great movie. Phantom Menace anyone?

I didn't like how No Country For Old Men won last year either, by the way. It's even more pretentious than Benjamin Button.

Is Gran Torino considered a 2009 movie or something? I think it deserves something, but i don't remember seeing it listed for the Oscars.

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    No.
    And, you know, the brilliant portrayal of good vs. evil, which is prevalent throughout the movie.
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

MBTI
    ESFJ

My predictions for Best Visual Effects were right on the money, as I have illustrated in my blog.

Benjamin Button should win in that category. And it was the only Best Picture contender I saw.

Heath Ledger's corpse will walk on stage to accept the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

And you spelled Nominations wrong.
    I see the typo now. My amount of typos while posting via the Android phone are exponentially higher, I've noticed. Damn thumbs.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Another movie that I don't understand why it got a bunch of Oscars was Gladiator. That really was a dumb movie.
    I agree. The special effects weren't even that good. Titanic, Gladiator, and A Beautiful Mind are recent Best Picture winners I always bring up as lackluster.

MBTI
    ESFJ

No.
    I cannot understand this opinion. That movie was a triumph.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    To you it does. Having good special effects alone doesn't make for a great movie. Phantom Menace anyone?

I didn't like how No Country For Old Men won last year either, by the way. It's even more pretentious than Benjamin Button.

Is Gran Torino considered a 2009 movie or something? I think it deserves something, but i don't remember seeing it listed for the Oscars.
    The Dark Knight was pretty pretentious, as well -- what with that ridiculous sociological message and shit. And on top of that, the special effects weren't even that great.

And how dare you slander The Phantom Menace. It was awesome at the time. If it came out before the original trilogy, everyone would've loved it.

And no, Gran Torino is 2008, it just didn't get any nominations. Though in all fairness, neither did Indiana Jones 4, which was Number 3 on my favorite movies of the year. And neither did Speed Racer, which was my Number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I agree. The special effects weren't even that good. Titanic, Gladiator, and A Beautiful Mind are recent Best Picture winners I always bring up as lackluster.
    I liked Titanic, though. I can almost see why that won Best Picture. It had something for everyone -- a sleazy love story for the girls, and awesome death and destruction for the guys. I still love the part where the guy falls of the ship and bounces off the propeller.

But as much money as they spent on special effects for that movie, I don't understand why they couldn't have spent more on the music score. No, I'm not just talking about James Horner and his self-plagiarism inclinations, I'm talking about the cheap synthesizers.

(I also find it curious how a lot of great film directors choose score composers whose work is all the same -- Spielberg and John Williams, for example, or Burton and Danny Elfman.)

As for A Beautiful Mind, the title was misleading for me. I thought it would be about my mind.

No.
    Ah, I was talking about Benjamin Button in regards to special effects. I agree with you here, though.

MBTI
    infp

I don't think the Dark Knight was trying to push any message as much as a lot of people did. I think a lot of the "messages" and "themes" in it were exasperated by the public trying to make it into a super-duper deep movie when really it's just a really awesome movie for what it is, which is an action and crime movie.

Benjamin Button shoves itself down your throat, and the public is taking a plunger and making sure it gets pushed down even further. Now the Academy is is doing maintenance...