• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

VOTE FOR BEST DRAWING!!!!

Which drawing is best?

• A

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • B

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • C

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
C) does the most for me.
A) is aesthetically pleasing though.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Bah, the proportions of the eyes in A are off as well. And are much more noticeable, since portraits usually draw attention to the eyes first.

They might be a little out of proportion, but not necessarily much at all, and I don't think it's that noticeable if they are. Besides, it's just a matter of opinion. The hands bug me. So nerrrr!

Here's an example of eyes that are kind of similar in shape and proportion to the woman's in the drawing. Granted, they're Asian, but just sayin'.

eye2.jpg

Edit: But I really like the shading in pic C. And I think if you're going to attack the eyes in A for realism you're missing the point of the drawing. It's obviously not a still-life. Neither is C, but the hand is more off than her eyes.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like C the best... there seemed to be more going on, and it looked like care was taken to make the shading flesh out the picture.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Bah, the proportions of the eyes in A are off as well. And are much more noticeable, since portraits usually draw attention to the eyes first.

I get frustrated when people criticize the proportions in a drawing. Proportions are supposed to be off.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The A drawing and the C painting look quite similar. Similar shapes, similar drippy/bubbly patterns extending down towards the bottom.....quite a similar feel/vibe to them too. If not done by the same person, the two definitely have similar styles/motifs.
Those are the ones done by the professional artist, right?

None of these are my preferred 'style', though A is the one I'd be most likely to hang on my wall (I'm sure the style would be popular :)), while C I find the most visually interesting, though I'd like it a lot better if it was the same composition but more realism-based. I'm torn, but I think I like C better.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
They might be a little out of proportion, but not necessarily much at all, and I don't think it's that noticeable if they are. Besides, it's just a matter of opinion. The hands bug me. So nerrrr!

Lol, that's fine. I just felt like venting because A seems to be winning, and I want C to win. But the proportions of the eye are off.

Here's an example of eyes that are kind of similar in shape and proportion to the woman's in the drawing. Granted, they're Asian, but just sayin'.

eye2.jpg

Nope, different angle. Notice how the right eyeball in this pic is turned such that you can't see the other side of it? The protrusion of the eyeball obstructs the view of the other side of the socket. In drawing A, you can see the other side of the socket because the face is turned at a different angle. This means that the other eye needs to be adjusted accordingly...as it is, it is too close to the other eye. It needs to be moved slightly to the right of the picture frame, IMO.

Edit: But I really like the shading in pic C. And I think if you're going to attack the eyes in A for realism you're missing the point of the drawing. It's obviously not a still-life. Neither is C, but the hand is more off than her eyes.

Meh, I attack the eyes in A for realism because it's irrealism adds nothing to the composition. If the lack of proportion added anything significant, IMO, I would not have a problem with it. As it is, I tend to think that unless you change proportion to make a statement or add effect, then it should be proportionate. But you're right, C definitely has anatomical problems with the hands. It's compositional value is, I think, greater than As or Bs. I do like the detail in A, though. It has a bit of an art nouveau look to it that's appealing.

I get frustrated when people criticize the proportions in a drawing. Proportions are supposed to be off.

No, they're not "supposed" to be off. They can be off for effect under certain circumstances, and depending on the intentions of the artist, but that's not the impression I got from A. In fact, it's the opposite impression...A, with its level of detail and preciseness, seems like it would be a drawing to get the proportions right. I think it would look best if they were. Just my opinion, though.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I find these proportions everyone puts so high on a pedestal immensely uninteresting and trivial, in any drawing. Just my opinion, though, too. Obviously.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I find these proportions everyone puts so high on a pedestal immensely uninteresting and trivial, in any drawing. Just my opinion, though, too. Obviously.

Technically, there is no reason for me to privilege correct proportions as a standard, but realism is my preferred art style. So yeah, it's just a matter of what your preferred framework for looking at art happens to be.

But from my experience in training to draw, it is a much more difficult challenge to get anatomy and proportions correct, than it is to just draw something and say it's my inspiration, which is why I think I value it more.

In the case between A and C, though, since the proportions and anatomy are wrong in both drawings, it comes down to the matter of which is less egregiously offensive to my taste. And I think that C has more to make up for it. Shall I again end with the caveat that all this is my opinion, or is it needless to say at this point ;)?

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
O, I actually dislike realism itself. Technicalities suffocate me, they're tedious, they're boring. There is no right and wrong in art, which is what I value most about it, the possibilities are endless. While your view is the exact opposite.
Anyhow, to each his opinion and we're just discussing it, didn't really see this as a debate.

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
I find it really funny that you guys are attacking the proportion of the eyes in drawing A when both B and C have many, MANY technical mistakes. A is clearly about the design and style.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
B

I find the style interesting. It's more like a painting, really. The composition is more challenging than with the others.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I find it really funny that you guys are attacking the proportion of the eyes in drawing A when both B and C have many, MANY technical mistakes. A is clearly about the design and style.

Blah, blah, blah. It's been mentioned that the anatomy of the hands and many other technicalities are "incorrect" in C. And it could be justifiably claimed that all of the drawings are "clearly about the design and style." Especially C.

I, in particular, critiqued A because it's winning. ;)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Not to be ornery or anything, but shouldn't the people who have a painting or drawing in the race stay out of the commentary? It seems unfair to critique the competition.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While each had their own merit, I found that B had an effect on me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Not to be ornery or anything, but shouldn't the people who have a painting or drawing in the race stay out of the commentary? It seems unfair to critique the competition.

Seconded.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I had a hard time picking between A and C. I love A because its different, the way it mixes with the body and how the lines end on different shapes. With C its the light, its great, I love the hand the front detail of the right shoe but I find the mouse lacking in depth and the other shoe loos unfinished. B looks too simple in comparison.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I found A particularly pleasant. The others didn't draw my attention. Maybe the technique was good, but that's not all. You sometimes need inspiration.