• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

VOTE FOR BEST DRAWING!!!!

Which drawing is best?

• A

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • B

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • C

Votes: 22 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
C hands down. The composition is interesting, and the use of value is stark and arresting (nothing seems flat). The contrast in the technique is also quite good, with the soft, smooth texture of the floor measured sharply against the crosshatching on the arms and mouse.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
C hands down. The composition is interesting, and the use of value is stark and arresting (nothing seems flat). The contrast in the technique is also quite good, with the soft, smooth texture of the floor measured sharply against the crosshatching on the arms and mouse.
You just voted for it because it had a rodent in it. :smile:

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
Technically, B isn't looking so great. The value range leaves something to be desired and it's a bit sloppy. The mouthpiece is probably the most interesting and finished part, otherwise this one needs work. I'd suggest the artist slow down on the blending (especially if it's with the fingers--BAD idea! use blending stumps) and focus more on establishing the value ranges. You should generally aim for at least 5 shades, from the brightest highlight to the darkest shadow and three middle range values. Here, there is predominately one, with slight highlights and hints of shadow.

C is pretty interesting. It looks more like an intaglio print than a drawing to me. Nice work with the hand and the shadow, but don't forget... the shadow is going to be darkest and the shape sharpest closest to the object casting it, that is, the fingers. The shadow should blur and lighten as it gets farther. It's too crisp. Also, don't forget with the arm the way shadows work. There is a slight highlight just after the darkest low-light. The curve of the arm is nice, but there should be a curve of the shadow with that highlight for it to look more realistic. The fingers could use more work, especially the thumb... it's a bit bulky. Otherwise, GREAT composition. The diagonals are really working well for the eye movement in this piece.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i kinda thought c was yours! no??

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
i kinda thought c was yours! no??

Nope, not mine, but I'll critique A as well:

The portrait's anatomy is off. The eyes are too close together and too small for the length of the face. The nose is too long. The line work could use some variety... it gets a little lost between the designs, so it'd be more dynamic with some line variation.

Then again, it was just a sketch done at Arby's in a half hour over a year ago. :p

and on a further note, it's hard to compare these three, since A is more focused on design and creativity and b and c are more focused on composition and technical skills. It's up to member preference. *shrug*

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
really!!?? huh...okay.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh!! wrong thread!! shit...i thought it was octopus girl! sorry!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oooohhh....i can't choose!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Technically, B isn't looking so great. The value range leaves something to be desired and it's a bit sloppy. The mouthpiece is probably the most interesting and finished part, otherwise this one needs work. I'd suggest the artist slow down on the blending (especially if it's with the fingers--BAD idea! use blending stumps) and focus more on establishing the value ranges. You should generally aim for at least 5 shades, from the brightest highlight to the darkest shadow and three middle range values. Here, there is predominately one, with slight highlights and hints of shadow.

Again, I'll have to disagree.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype

I like C because it's making an obvious error about the nature of light - there's no way you could have that composition. I'm not sure what the signifigance/statement is though.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I like C because it's making an obvious error about the nature of light - there's no way you could have that composition. I'm not sure what the signifigance/statement is though.

Well, there's no way that the mouse would be casting a shadow...maybe its tail. It would be overshadowed by the shadow of the right leg (and probably the rest of the body), which is not represented nearly large enough. In other words, that space of light underneath the mouse should not technically be there.

The shadows, too, as someone else in this thread mentioned, are too flat. There should be some gradation in the shadows, and some reflected light on some of the objects casting the shadows. I also wonder why the hand casts a shadow, but the greater part of the arm does not.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be about critique, so I'll stop. I still like C best, though (and not because of any rodent-philia on my part, thank you very much ;)).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The A drawing and the C painting look quite similar. Similar shapes, similar drippy/bubbly patterns extending down towards the bottom.....quite a similar feel/vibe to them too. If not done by the same person, the two definitely have similar styles/motifs.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I like A and B the most. Chose A, but honestly, on second thought, I like B just as much. I like the shadows in C but the thumb and the overall hand are bugging me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I like A and B the most. Chose A, but honestly, on second thought, I like B just as much. I like the shadows in C but the thumb and the overall hand are bugging me.

Bah, the proportions of the eyes in A are off as well. And are much more noticeable, since portraits usually draw attention to the eyes first.