• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neil Young

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Old people of TC:

If you had to recommend a Neil Young album to someone who was unfamiliar with his work (such as myself), which would it be?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hmm. Based only on listenability, and not one album so that you feel like you know his work as a whole, Ragged Glory.

Work as a whole? You'll have to get two. Rust Never Sleeps or Weld (2-3 CDs each), and Lucky Thirteen.

wolfy

awsm
Studio Album, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

Live, I like Weld more but Rust Never Sleeps is good and maybe what you would expect from Neil Young.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harvest.

Admittedly, that has nothing to do with getting to know his work (no electric for one thing)... It's just one I really like. :blush:

*Is not an old person*

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I know i'm not old, but I'm very familiar with his stuff, and I've seen him live twice.

In terms of getting to know his work, you're screwed, cause his work is pretty varied, but he has two sort of main styles, which are the grungy hard rock stuff and the acoustic singer-songwriter, country-ish stuff. The only album I can think of that has both of them and is amazing is Rust Never Sleeps, which is live.

The recent Live At Massey Hall 1971 is great, it's all acoustic and it has a lot of songs on it he had either previously recorded electrically or would later record electrically. It's really great. I saw him at Massey Hall last year by the way -the first time he had played it since that 1971 concert. Massey Hall is amazing, he was amazing.

Decade is a good one... two disc set of most of his best songs from 1967 to 1977.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I've been listening to Harvest. That's good, but that's all I've ever heard so far.

Ghetto_mocha

MBTI Type
ENFP
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere! It was my first Neil Young cd (and my favorite cd of all time). It's definitely more rocking than Harvest...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, better than Harvest, but still primitive, like Neil hadn't found his voice yet.