• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Monty Python MBTI?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Graham Chapman - ENFJ
John Cleese - ENTJ
Eric Idle - ENTP
Michael Palin - ENFP
Terry Jones - ISFP
Terry Gilliam - INFP

Anybody a big enough fan to have a meaningful opinion on these?

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Graham Chapman - ENFJ
John Cleese - ENTJ
Eric Idle - ENTP
Michael Palin - ENFP
Terry Jones - ISFP
Terry Gilliam - INFP

Anybody a big enough fan to have a meaningful opinion on these?

Sounds good to me, although I'm not familiar enough with Graham Chapman to type him. :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
You'll find many of us who think Cleese is INTJ.
I'll neither agree nor disagree with the others for now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gilliam's most likely an E, not an I.
He also doesn't mind conflict, he sort of likes to shake things up. That's not much of an INFP trait.
(Compare him to a known INFx director like Tim Burton; Gilliam is more surreal and gritty, he can be quite obscene, and when he gets gritty, he doesn't like to sweeten the deal like Burton does to somehow make it palatable... e.g., Brazil.)
I'm inclined far more to ENTP with him.

Palin is Most Likely to be FP, out of the entire group.
Chapman seems far more IxxJ to me.
Cleese is probably INTJ, not E... although it's not an extreme I at all.
I'm not sure whether Jones is ISFP or INFJ; probable F, I think I'm leaning towards towards INFJ, he seems to have a strong sense of inner vision in how he approaches roles and projects and his writing, rather than the sort of "play around chaos" that ISFP seems to emulate.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gilliam's most likely an E, not an I.
He also doesn't mind conflict, he sort of likes to shake things up. That's not much of an INFP trait.
(Compare him to a known INFx director like Tim Burton; Gilliam is more surreal and gritty, he can be quite obscene, and when he gets gritty, he doesn't like to sweeten the deal like Burton does to somehow make it palatable... e.g., Brazil.)
I'm inclined far more to ENTP with him.

Palin is Most Likely to be FP, out of the entire group.
Chapman seems far more IxxJ to me.
Cleese is probably INTJ, not E... although it's not an extreme I at all.
I'm not sure whether Jones is ISFP or INFJ; probable F, I think I'm leaning towards towards INFJ, he seems to have a strong sense of inner vision in how he approaches roles and projects and his writing, rather than the sort of "play around chaos" that ISFP seems to emulate.

Thanks for the response. I was kind of shooting in the dark with Gilliam because I don't know a lot about him beyond the fact that he did the funny drawings, and that he was the only American in the group. But he almost never appeared on camera and rarely contributed more than the occasional, well-thought out response in group interviews. Good case for T, but what makes you tag him as E? I think he may be INTP, maybe?

Yes, I often seem to have trouble distinguishing ISFP and INFJ as well. Interesting...INFJs seem more deliberate, purposeful, and as you said, with a strong sense of inner vision. I don't know that much about Jones either, except that he always played the female characters with that exaggerated high falsetto voice. You sound a lot more informed on his other projects here, so INFJ sounds good.

And yes, I am pretty certain of Palin as an ENFP. That was probably the easiest of the six. Such a more pleasant person than certain others with the same surname that some of us might be able to recall!

Chapman could be INFJ instead of E, but I think it's telling that he played the protagonist in both Grail and Brian. Most INFJs that I know would be too self-conscious, too overly critical of their own abilities to have the confidence to do something like that. He could just be a dominant Ni/fantastic actor, but for some reason I get the pedagogue/dominant Fe vibe from him. Interviews and reports by people the Pythons worked with also seem to have pointed to Chapman and Cleese as the closest the group had to "leaders."

I suppose this is largely because they are both Js--more drive to get things done. Any particular reasons why they strike you as Is, though?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
When you read Michael Palin's writings - his travel logs, they are quite introspective and reflective.. I wonder if he verges toward INFP as much as ENFP.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
When you read Michael Palin's writings - his travel logs, they are quite introspective and reflective.. I wonder if he verges toward INFP as much as ENFP.
Or perhaps it's hard to socialize in a travel log? I don't know, I haven't read them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he may be INTP, maybe?

NO.
Honestly.

Watch his interviews, if you need help with that one.
Much more ENTP.

Palin doesn't come across as E to me.
He's naturally reflective, not expressive/engaging in the typical manner of ENFP.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
John Cleese - ENTP (rule breaker, offensive, extremely liberal)
Michael Palin - ENFP (likes to travel, always plays the enthusiastic guy)
Graham Chapman - INFP (Described as very kind, is very good at languages which is frequent among NFs)
Eric Idle - ISFP (Always wrote his sketches alone, had problems with presenting his works to the other Pythons, composed many songs)
Terry Jones - xNFx (idealistic, not sure about his type, though)
Terry Gilliam - ENTP (often wrote offensive sketches, stories were scattered and made no sense)