• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Documentaries anyone?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
when the levees broke
jiro dreams of sushi
jesus camp
dark days
the 7 up series
american pimp
narco cultura
grey gardens
thin
swansea love story

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Restrepo
Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some of these are not really documentaries but close. There were quite a few favorites already listed by others.

Deep Water ( Independent Lens . DEEP WATER | PBS )
The Interrupters ( The Interrupters | FRONTLINE | PBS )
Storm over Everest
In Majorie's Wake (Journal of Florida Studies - Making the PBS Film “In Marjorie’s Wake”: Navigating the Territory Between the Hero’s Journey and a Floating Opera )
Between the Folds ( BETWEEN THE FOLDS | Documentary Film | Independent Lens | PBS )
The Music Instinct-- ( Music Instinct | PBS )

eudaimonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was one particularly which I found thought provoking which was through POV called Gross National Happiness about Bhutan.

Others where mostly on ancient cultures like the Hittites and lost people such as the search for the Amazon Women (which they linked to the Mongolians' before they trekked across Russia going east). Oddly I found the history of the Spanish Inquisition rather engrossing as it was the first attempt to lay down ground work for investigating accusations which is in opposition to the popular notion of the tortuous Inquisition.

Touching the Void

eudaimonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to watch so many because the international tv channel plays (used to play?) them every Sunday night. I just don't remember the names.

Have you seen Earthlings?

I've seen Earthlings and I found it very disturbing which I believe is the point. The fur trade part if you noticed is where Joaquin didn't have his voice-over narration at the critical time. My guess is because it was too gruesome to even talk about. Chills the heart.

- - - Updated - - -

It has been on my imdb watchlist. I need to!

Not for the faint of heart. Be warned.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I've seen Earthlings and I found it very disturbing which I believe is the point. The fur trade part if you noticed is where Joaquin didn't have his voice-over narration at the critical time. My guess is because it was too gruesome to even talk about. Chills the heart.

It's been three years since I've seen it, I don't remember that part. I do remember being really affected after seeing the chicks debeaked and the dolphins bleeding while children walked past casually.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION], I've finished Cropsey. While I can say I enjoyed it as it fits my taste and it was well executed, I was far from being disturbed or scared. The case itself is disturbing of course, I cannot deny that.
The occult reference was an interesting bit, especially to me, I don't know how many documentaries surrounding this area I've seen.
Overall, a good find! Thank you for leading me to it.
Yet I've been exposed to far more disturbing and hard to watch works that Cropsey was an easy watch.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION], I've finished Cropsey. While I can say I enjoyed it as it fits my taste and it was well executed, I was far from being disturbed or scared. The case itself is disturbing of course, I cannot deny that.
The occult reference was an interesting bit, especially to me, I don't know how many documentaries surrounding this area I've seen.
Overall, a good find! Thank you for leading me to it.
Yet I've been exposed to far more disturbing and hard to watch works that Cropsey was an easy watch.

Nice!!

More disturbing documentaries? Please do share.

Any documentary about Richard Kuklinski is pretty interesting/dark.

But this one, what I found so disturbing was the Geraldo Rivera led investigation of Willowbrook. The conditions of Willowbrook State School. 6,000 mentally disabled people in a building only designed for 4,000. These people, it seemed, had more or less been discarded by their parents and were literally living in squalor. Physical/Sexual abuse, outbreaks of hepatitis. Robert Kennedy literally describing them as living in "cages."

The eventual shut down, and abandonment of this hospital. The tunnel system beneath it.

Not to mention all of the missing, mentally disabled children that went missing. And the one whose body they found. And then Andre Rand. The pedophile that worked at Willowbrook before it was shut down and who was connected to and convicted of murder of all the missing children.

And how he would break down and drool on himself when the video of the Rivera tapes were shown. Like he was remembering something fucked up (or he was acting).

That would be one fucked up place to go to at night.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Nice!!

But this one, what I found so disturbing was the Geraldo Rivera led investigation of Willowbrook. The conditions of Willowbrook State School. 6,000 mentally disabled people in a building only designed for 4,000. These people, it seemed, had more or less been discarded by their parents and were literally living in squalor. Physical/Sexual abuse, outbreaks of hepatitis. Robert Kennedy literally describing them as living in "cages."

The eventual shut down, and abandonment of this hospital. The tunnel system beneath it.

Not to mention all of the missing, mentally disabled children that went missing. And the one whose body they found. And then Andre Rand. The pedophile that worked at Willowbrook before it was shut down and who was connected to and convicted of murder of all the missing children.

And how he would break down and drool on himself when the video of the Rivera tapes were shown. Like he was remembering something fucked up (or he was acting).

Do you think that this place influenced the second season of American Horror Story?

Although there is probably another place it has already been mentioned as being influenced by.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice!!

I agree. In fact, the most disturbing part of the movie was the old footage of the inside of Willowbrook.
I only wish Cropsey would take us deeper into each aspect of the investigation. It was sort of too overall and on the surface. 85 minutes was certainly not enough.

I do remember watching one creepy, disturbing, hair raising documentary called "Interview with a Cannibal" made in 2012. Issei Sagawa, the infamous cannibal from the case in 1981, was interviewed himself.

Another extremely disturbing and depressing documentary I've seen is "Bulgaria’s Abandoned Children". Words cannot describe.

Both of these are on Youtube actually, full length.

eudaimonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's been three years since I've seen it, I don't remember that part. I do remember being really affected after seeing the chicks debeaked and the dolphins bleeding while children walked past casually.

It was a lot like watching Faces of Death (live footage of fatal incidents) but with a human callousness towards animals bent. Later I learned that the Japanese kill so many dolphins that they were packaging the meat as mystery meat to the schools. The main reason they stopped giving it to children is that they learned it is extremely high in mercury. Yeah, there were a lot of things like clipping piglets' teeth so they don't grow up cannibalizing each other. It does open the eyes to how meat is treated like a factory grown product and not like feeling sentient beings which is a far cry from the All Creatures Great and Small days.

By your signature, I'm guessing you are a serious advocate against vivisection? Are you a militant PETA guerilla that we read about breaking into labs and freeing the animals? Your secret is safe with me.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think that this place influenced the second season of American Horror Story?

Although there is probably another place it has already been mentioned as being influenced by.

It probably has been mentioned and probably by me in some other thread, haha.

But, yes, it was the DIRECT inspiration.