User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Yankees Bottomless Pot

ESPN - Sources: Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees agree to 8-year deal

The Yankees have spent more than $400 million in salary in the last month, with $161 million going to left-handed pitcher CC Sabathia in a seven-year deal and $82.5 million on right-hander A.J. Burnett for five years.

The agreement with Teixeira gives New York the four highest-paid players in baseball -- third baseman Alex Rodriguez, shortstop Derek Jeter, Sabathia and Teixeira.
    How much fun is it to be Brian Cashman?

Is there any skill involved in the job that he does, is it safe to say that the Yankees are in fact the "Evil Empire"?

Do you enjoy rooting for a team of mercenaries, is it a model that is to be admired.

Does it make you sick to think of how freely and loosely money is being spent in times like these?

New found hate for athletes and the absurd amount they make?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFj

As a Red Sox fan my comments are really not necessary here...
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

It's the people and the fans who really determine the amount the players make. Stop caring so much and stop paying the seat prices and the baseball business will come down a bit.

I don't really have any qualms. I'd rather see a business reinvest its income back into its own business to strengthen the product than to watch Florida or the Padres bleed talent and shed money at the expense of the quality of the product.

MBTI
    IsTP

It pleases me that they've gone so long without a championship, and they didn't even make the playoffs last season.

(Go Mariners!)
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    IsTP

Ah I sense much Yankee hate...

They've actually shed more salaries than they've taken on. In fact they've saved something like 20 million.

MBTI
    INTP

In terms of long term commitment and roster flexibility they haven't made any progress, but due to their massive financial clout they don't even need to concern themselves with that aspect. With those four players including Burnett their locked in at about 120 million for the next 5 years.

Not to mention they're asking the city of New York for 300 million dollars to help finance the stadium. They were going to trade for Mike Cameron and asked their GM to throw in cash to cover the difference, and were rightfully rejected in that trade proposal. It seems like every off season you can count on them spending at least 200 million dollars on free agents.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I no longer care.

/apathetic Yankees fan

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    In terms of long term commitment and roster flexibility they haven't made any progress, but due to their massive financial clout they don't even need to concern themselves with that aspect. With those four players including Burnett their locked in at about 120 million for the next 5 years.

Not to mention they're asking the city of New York for 300 million dollars to help finance the stadium. They were going to trade for Mike Cameron and asked their GM to throw in cash to cover the difference, and were rightfully rejected in that trade proposal. It seems like every off season you can count on them spending at least 200 million dollars on free agents.
    Actually that's what I love about them. Consistent effort. If they fail it's not because they aren't putting their best foot forward. It's not like for instance how in the Brewers are blowing up their team and all you have to look forward to is them sucking. Again. After one good season, which came after all those sucky seasons after the last time they blew their team up.

They drop 80 million in salary and picked up 60 million at bargain rates when you consider the talent level of the 80 million dollar players. When you go from Giambi to Tex at 1st base that's a MAJOR upgrade and if on a per year basis you're paying him less than you've paid Giambi, that's a GREAT value in the long term, assuming you even keep the contract and don't end up trading him down the line. As for the pitchers the same rules apply. On a per player per year per talent level basis, major upgrade.

So if you want to rant against the capitalist system that we live in that allows them to use public money for a stadium and still charge that enormous ticket price, that's another question all together. I've never been to a Yankee game myself.

But if you want to talk about team management, Cashmen has done a great job since he was given control. He's kept all the young talent, upgraded through free agency, and cut costs. Whether or not the talent performs, well that's just sports ya' dig? At the end of the day as a fan, I like to know my team will always go all out to get the best available talent.

For the record I'm not one of those "We won the most championships in history" Yankee fans. I started following baseball by watching the boxscores on the local news the year of the strike. The Yanks were #1 in the division but the season ended. So when baseball came back I stuck with my team. I didn't find out about all that other stuff until after the fact.

MBTI
    INTP

First any mention of Cashman has to include his absurd budget. I mean realistically it is a hell of a lot easier to field a good team and look wise in free agency when you can constantly invest. I mean who wouldn't love to have his assets in a non sports involved way. I mean I'd love to buy new sports cars every year and get the latest tech gadgets.

Cut costs from what level, I mean that's a little rhetorical trick... come on. From 200 million... that's such an enviable achievement. I don't think the argument is whether the Yankees can acquire or retain talent. It's more so the fact that they don't have any perceived limits when it comes to things. Part of the challenge and thrill of doing anything is figuring out how to exploit the limitations of the system. In Cashman's case I guess you could say he is skilled at overpaying to get what he wants, but that to me does not take any particular skill. Market inefficiency... once again when you consistently purchase the top name free agents at exorbitant costs I don't think it requires any particularly keen insight.

Resource allocation?

when you don't have any limits and can consistently re up without worrying about future ramifications then that's not an issue.

How do you rate and compare Cashman against the other 29 GMs in baseball. Is it possible. Because somehow I don't think they worry and deal with the same issues. It's not simply a matter of them not caring about their teams either...

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    First any mention of Cashman has to include his absurd budget. I mean realistically it is a hell of a lot easier to field a good team and look wise in free agency when you can constantly invest. I mean who wouldn't love to have his assets in a non sports involved way. I mean I'd love to buy new sports cars every year and get the latest tech gadgets.

Cut costs from what level, I mean that's a little rhetorical trick... come on. From 200 million... that's such an enviable achievement. I don't think the argument is whether the Yankees can acquire or retain talent. It's more so the fact that they don't have any perceived limits when it comes to things. Part of the challenge and thrill of doing anything is figuring out how to exploit the limitations of the system. In Cashman's case I guess you could say he is skilled at overpaying to get what he wants, but that to me does not take any particular skill. Market inefficiency... once again when you consistently purchase the top name free agents at exorbitant costs I don't think it requires any particularly keen insight.

Resource allocation?

when you don't have any limits and can consistently re up without worrying about future ramifications then that's not an issue.

How do you rate and compare Cashman against the other 29 GMs in baseball. Is it possible. Because somehow I don't think they worry and deal with the same issues. It's not simply a matter of them not caring about their teams either...
    I can't put no simpler than this. Don't hate the player hate the game.

What you're complaining about is just a symptom not the disease. So to my logic, if I want to complain about the Yankees bottomless coffers I may as well do something about the Federal Reserve bank.

I see what you're getting at, but I don't want to think about all of that when I'm watching baseball. As an observer of the sport, they do their best to put the best product on the field. It's not their fault capitalism means some will have more than most.

This is the system we live in and they just so happen to be the beneficiary of that fact in the sport of baseball. There's a team like them in every league. For that matter the Redsox, Mets, and A's aren't that far behind in payroll. What's 20 million between friends?
    Most teams aren't the Rays. They usually keep sucking at that budget.