User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Is it just me or do S's typically enjoy nonfiction, history and stuff of that nature, as reading material.
    I enjoy nonfiction too..Reader's Digest, Psychology Today, and health-related magazines. As for fiction, I enjoy reading those that I can emotionally relate to.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I like to read fiction (Brideshead Revisited is the last novel I finished, hoping to tackle Kornwolf soon), but I also read a lot of nonfiction (political science, arts, biographies, military history). The literature I read most often are periodicals such as The Economist and Reason. I also test pretty much 50/50 S vs. N.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Most S types I know do not read....

The ones who do like any mix of biographies, mysteries, romance novels, and self-help books. They seem to like genre-fiction if it's popular and they can discuss it with others (ie. Harry Potter).
    I think it has to feel useful or engage them in the way a conversation about people/events would. The fiction is usually very straight-forward....very little metaphor. Even the stuff that seems to be about "whimsical" topics is written in a straight-forward way.

They get bored with the classic literature & literary fiction I like, but some will give it a try.
    Generally, avid readers can enjoy anything well-written, even if it's not their usual genre preference.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Most S types I know do not read....

The ones who do like any mix of biographies, mysteries, romance novels, and self-help books. They seem to like genre-fiction if it's popular and they can discuss it with others (ie. Harry Potter).
    I think it has to feel useful or engage them in the way a conversation about people/events would. The fiction is usually very straight-forward....very little metaphor. Even the stuff that seems to be about "whimsical" topics is written in a straight-forward way.

They get bored with the classic literature & literary fiction I like, but some will give it a try.
    Generally, avid readers can enjoy anything well-written, even if it's not their usual genre preference.
    Bolded is true for me as well, although I hate biographies, mystery, romance and almost all self-help books.
    -end of thread-

I read a lot of nonfiction and very selective fiction. My ISFP dad does the same. My ESTP brother reads only NONfiction. My ISFJ bf reads nonfiction almost exclusively and is vocal about not enjoying scifi or fantasy, though I do tell him how good some of it is. I think most other Ss I know tend to read nonfiction and classic fiction. A lot of them like Hemmingway a lot.
    Last edited by maliafee; 04-06-2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: to fix a word! fiction--->NONfiction

Oh and I can't stand Harry Potter.

Dali

I LOOOOOOOVE fiction. Love it; especially richly detailed fantasy books with great writing e.g. Tolkien, Rowling, McAffrey and so many more I can't quite recall.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Is it just me or do S's typically enjoy nonfiction, history and stuff of that nature, as reading material.
    Well I love fiction. My favourite form of fiction is traditional crime fiction though, which from my studies I have discovered is a totally SJ thing to like (linear structure involving a problem whose solution is finally illuminated at the conclusion with the aid of clues/facts throughout the book; concern with restoring the status quo by the finish; 'justice' is seen in quite black and white terms etc.) I think the more modern left-wing crime fiction is more N because it deals with the reasoning behind why people become criminals and rather than focusing on solving the mystery/crime it focuses on the relationships and internal turmoil of characters. The detectives of these books were often described as 'intuitive' in my reading, too.
    It's weird how MBTI might come into play here.

To be honest, I'd rather wind down with a fiction book than anything else, but that's because I'm a student and I spend my life reading non-factual books. I'm a history student, so I read a lot of history anyway. I also enjoy newspapers.

My ISFJ boyfriend doesn't like fiction though. He prefers to read autobiographies and biographies.