• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do S's like reading fiction?

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Can't speak from my own preference since I'm not an S, but having grown up with several sensors in my family and at least two really like to read fiction (although one liked it so much that she stopped cause it took up too much of her time.) My father has a ton of fiction books though and reads a lot in his free time (probably his favorite thing to do outside of working.) So yeah, I have definitely met sensors who enjoy reading fiction. The only other sensor in my family doesn't prefer to read period so I would say that kind of takes him out of the picture. Outside of my family I know a few other sensors fairly well that also enjoy fiction. Guess that this would not be an all-knowing view of the world, but I see no conclusive evidence from my own experience to suggest sensors don't enjoy reading fiction.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Is it just me or do S's typically enjoy nonfiction, history and stuff of that nature, as reading material.

I enjoy nonfiction too..Reader's Digest, Psychology Today, and health-related magazines. As for fiction, I enjoy reading those that I can emotionally relate to.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like to read fiction (Brideshead Revisited is the last novel I finished, hoping to tackle Kornwolf soon), but I also read a lot of nonfiction (political science, arts, biographies, military history). The literature I read most often are periodicals such as The Economist and Reason. I also test pretty much 50/50 S vs. N.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most S types I know do not read....

The ones who do like any mix of biographies, mysteries, romance novels, and self-help books. They seem to like genre-fiction if it's popular and they can discuss it with others (ie. Harry Potter).
I think it has to feel useful or engage them in the way a conversation about people/events would. The fiction is usually very straight-forward....very little metaphor. Even the stuff that seems to be about "whimsical" topics is written in a straight-forward way.

They get bored with the classic literature & literary fiction I like, but some will give it a try.
Generally, avid readers can enjoy anything well-written, even if it's not their usual genre preference.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most S types I know do not read....

The ones who do like any mix of biographies, mysteries, romance novels, and self-help books. They seem to like genre-fiction if it's popular and they can discuss it with others (ie. Harry Potter).
I think it has to feel useful or engage them in the way a conversation about people/events would. The fiction is usually very straight-forward....very little metaphor. Even the stuff that seems to be about "whimsical" topics is written in a straight-forward way.

They get bored with the classic literature & literary fiction I like, but some will give it a try.
Generally, avid readers can enjoy anything well-written, even if it's not their usual genre preference.
Bolded is true for me as well, although I hate biographies, mystery, romance and almost all self-help books. :)

maliafee

I read a lot of nonfiction and very selective fiction. My ISFP dad does the same. My ESTP brother reads only NONfiction. My ISFJ bf reads nonfiction almost exclusively and is vocal about not enjoying scifi or fantasy, though I do tell him how good some of it is. I think most other Ss I know tend to read nonfiction and classic fiction. A lot of them like Hemmingway a lot.

Last edited:
D

Dali

I LOOOOOOOVE fiction. Love it; especially richly detailed fantasy books with great writing e.g. Tolkien, Rowling, McAffrey and so many more I can't quite recall.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Is it just me or do S's typically enjoy nonfiction, history and stuff of that nature, as reading material.

Well I love fiction. My favourite form of fiction is traditional crime fiction though, which from my studies I have discovered is a totally SJ thing to like :huh: (linear structure involving a problem whose solution is finally illuminated at the conclusion with the aid of clues/facts throughout the book; concern with restoring the status quo by the finish; 'justice' is seen in quite black and white terms etc.) I think the more modern left-wing crime fiction is more N because it deals with the reasoning behind why people become criminals and rather than focusing on solving the mystery/crime it focuses on the relationships and internal turmoil of characters. The detectives of these books were often described as 'intuitive' in my reading, too.
It's weird how MBTI might come into play here.

To be honest, I'd rather wind down with a fiction book than anything else, but that's because I'm a student and I spend my life reading non-factual books. I'm a history student, so I read a lot of history anyway. I also enjoy newspapers.

My ISFJ boyfriend doesn't like fiction though. He prefers to read autobiographies and biographies.