User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Resemblances

MBTI
    XNXP

Default Resemblances

As an artist, I often see resemblances between people that I meet by chance in life and others. I don't always remember where I have seen the aspect of their appearance before, which can lead to people thinking that I am just making the recognition up. Sometimes it will be just a small partial aspect of a person that is in question, and sometimes it will be most of the details of their appearance or carriage.

It's funny how people react to this. Sometimes they will think it's cool that they look like someone else, and maybe it will be the first time anyone has ever suggested it. Sometimes they will tell me "Yea, people tell me that all the time". Sometimes they think I'm kidding them. Some people are annoyed, like "What difference does it make?" Others seem to feel that if we are not talking about a near identical comparison, that it doesn't bear mentioning. The latter of these reactions makes me wonder why I do bring it up sometimes.

I frequently sneak into movies after paying to get into a theater to see movie A. Then I will go see Movie B, and maybe Movie C as well, afterward. Timing is important on this. I saw some movies for free the other day that made me think of this. Maybe you will see some of the same resemblances as I do.

One movie was the latest sequel or chapter in the "Punisher" saga or vehicle, which was more gruesome than I had expected. The guy playing the Punisher was Ray Stevenson. Looking over his internet photos, I couldn't find one that was very good re: the resemblance that I saw while watching him onscreen. Maybe you will have thought the same thing. I wondered ( before I looked up his name ) if he was perhaps a brother of James Gandolfini, who plays Tony Soprano on the cable series, and has other prominent roles.
    Gandolfini -

Stevenson -

Then I went to see "Twilight", a movie that had garnered a lot of interest from young women due it's male lead Robert Pattinson. As I watched him, he reminded me of many faces I had seen over the years, including a statue whose name I could not recall. He seemed a little bit like Di Caprio in the way he carried himself and overall physique. His hairdo made me think of Elvis and his eyebrows made me think of "Eddie" the youngest Munster. I thought of the old supernatural soap opera, too, called "Dark Shadows" that we had enjoyed as kids. There was a guy on it called "Quentin Collins" that sprang to mind. He looked a bit like a young combination of Quentin ( David Selby IIRC ) and Dolph Lundgren. Pattinson's nose is the weak link in my comparison, I think.

( He reminds me of other people too, but I can't remember who yet. )

Quentin Collins -

Dolph Lundgren

Pattinson himself -

I saw that Pattinson had been in at least one of the Harry Potter movies, and for some reason flashed on him ( briefly ) as being a candidate for being a brother to Emma Watson. The strong jaw, I guess. DiCaprio comes back to mind again also, even stronger than Pattinson, come to think of it. Those eyes/eyebrow lines....Yeah, I know this last one is a reach. More a resemblance of attitude than actual looks....

Here she is with her actual brother, looking nothing like this....
    Last edited by kuranes; 12-26-2008 at 06:30 AM.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    XNXP

Latest resemblances -

Joe Pantoliano

Christopher Titus

Michael Ironside

Kiefer Sutherland
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    STUF

Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Will Ferrell
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Chad Smith is starting to look like Kris Kristofferson:

Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Chad Smith is starting to look like Kris Kristofferson:
    Hmmm. I don't see it. Maybe a little John McEnroe in Chad's eyes, though ?

MBTI
    XNXP

Here below is a pic of a young Angela Lansbury and an older Angela, who is more recognizable to me.

As I watched the movie "Working Girl" on TV last night I had this brief flash of Angela as I looked at Melanie Griffith- as though she might look somewhat like Angela when she gets older. I can't find photos that show much of this seeming resemblance, though, and so perhaps I was mistaken, and merely thinking of round faces and top heavy hairdo's or something.

It did make me think of all the times I've seen older women out and about town, and ( by looking at them a little longer than is polite ) deciphered how they probably looked when they were young. Sometimes there wasn't that much deciphering involved, and yet I still had the feeling ( why ? ) that they were actually much older than they looked. I wanted to compliment them somehow then, too, on how well they had apparently taken care of themselves, but I didn't. I knew it would likely be taken in a backhanded or patronizing kind of way if I alluded to age, or just be unwanted and possibly insincere words from a stranger, if I didn't. Who knows, though ? Some of them might have appreciated it if I had done it. They might be with someone who had long taken them for granted, like a comfortable old piece of furniture...or for some other reason.

I told a woman on a singles site that she was the cutest 55 year old I had seen in a long time, or something like that, and she appreciated it, but that was different. She had already expressed an interest in me and knew that I was mid-fifties, too.

Melanie Griffith

Nowadays they have those "progression" technologies that show how a kid would look like 10 or 20 years down the road, to help identify kidnapped people. How many of you think you have a good internal "regression" processor ?

Edit - Madmins feel free to shrink the older Angela's face pic if you wish. I don't know how to do that, and I don't like making readers scroll back and forth to read/look.
    Last edited by kuranes; 02-14-2009 at 12:04 PM.

MBTI
    XNXP

Frank Gorshin and Ed Harris remind me of one another too...Something about the grin....the laugh lines....I couldn't immediately locate a pic of Ed Harris grinning that showed his right side profile to do a more "apples to apples" comparison. ( I've noticed that while looking through actor's pix. They tend to favor one side or view of themselves. )

( Frank played the Riddler on the old batman TV show, long before Jim Carry's version. I forget what else he did. LOL )

Larger Ed pc.

Here is a "Two Face" worthy of Batman. Ed Harris photoshopped into somebody else's face. Whose ? I thought Harrison Ford's for a second, but it wasn't him.

MBTI
    INTP

Kristin Stewart of "Twilight"

and Alicia Silverstone

To me, they're almost twins.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESFJ

Helen Hunt

Leelee Sobieski

Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

^^ Oh, totally.

Here's one I've never heard anyone comment on, but it's always been obvious to me. Buck Owens and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

It was hard to find a pic of SRV where he wasn't making a "guitar face."
    Something Witty