• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Games and cognitive distortions

Gauche

Well, I'll tell you my experiences, so what I'm talking about:
Several years ago I was an avid player of Counter Strike. And what happened to me? One day during holidays, maybe after 4 hours of gaming, I went from my house, and when I was passing the corner of wall, I instinctively suspiciously looked over the corner, like terrorist should have been there. Like ingame.
Yesterday, I was playing Warrock several hours, and spent a lot of time in helicopters (you know, Im getting used to flying in them). And now I just noticed that my vision is somehow being pulled to side now and then.. like the helicopter rolling to the side.

Have you ever encountered something like that?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Regularly if I'm playing a game all day (which is what I usually do when I play).

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had this happen to me after D&D. Feels strange crossing the street, watching the cars come towards you and thinking you're invincible. Kinda dangerous as wel.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I've played strategy games in my life a lot.

Because of this I have lost ability to be spontaneius. I am doing huge number of calculations and analysis of situations and scenarios all the time.
I can kill the process on a few minutes, but this is part of me that defines me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah i like tetris type games so i'll play those come on here and the forum is like tetris but with words and letters. Or I'll do a puzzle type game and the forum is all of a sudden a puzzle needing to be solved and I must solve it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yep, same thing. I play Call of Duty 4 a lot, and after a long session or solid week of playing my normal oblivious self is extremely attuned to movement. If I play PGR or GTA I notice a change in my driving habits. I think whatever my mindset just carries over for a bit.

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Never really happened to me to tell the truth, but I may be scarred from too many hours of gameplay. Then again, I also havn't spent much time playing games in the last couple of months.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes. There was a car chase game similar to Pac Man that I used to play in an arcade and one day at a high level I fell over on the floor! I really think that it cause a mini-seizure. Suddenly the whole room around me shifted, through my peripheral vision, at a ninety-degree angle. A very peculiar thing. Actually had a few things checked out at the doctor after that but they found nothing unusual.

I get some imprintation from playing Mah Jong for any length of time and see tile images on light-colored surfaces for a while afterwards.

Sometimes, in a pre-sleep phase, games play out on my eyelids after playing for a length of time. I had an annoying couple of days of involuntary, pre-sleep Luxor "visions" a while back.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Playing Fable II right now, I love magic characters so I'm using only Will powers. Tactic is to teleport around using the targeted Slow Time, then toss fireballs. Walked around today and whenever I feel like changing direction my first notion is to teleport. I need to get out more.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
If in Halo 3, my brother drags me along to theater mode, he makes me watch the film frame by frame. I then go through the rest of the day feeling like I'm in fast forwards.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've played enough video games that every once in awhile I'll catch myself thinking, "Oh well, if something goes wrong I'll just open the last save file and try again." I'm especially prone to think that about things like car crashes and homicide.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I'll tell you my experiences, so what I'm talking about:
Several years ago I was an avid player of Counter Strike. And what happened to me? One day during holidays, maybe after 4 hours of gaming, I went from my house, and when I was passing the corner of wall, I instinctively suspiciously looked over the corner, like terrorist should have been there. Like ingame.
Yesterday, I was playing Warrock several hours, and spent a lot of time in helicopters (you know, Im getting used to flying in them). And now I just noticed that my vision is somehow being pulled to side now and then.. like the helicopter rolling to the side.

I freaked out when i was playing City of Heroes all the time.

One of my characters had superleap as a travel power, and on my way to work, when I'd pass the business park (set down below the road, which was elevated), I'd find myself automatically calculating which roofs I could jump from to get to the other ones. Uggh... it was REALLY weird!