• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the saddest...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Watch this, I'm about to pwn you all:

[youtube="RRMz8fKkG2g"]Barber's Adagio for Strings - 9/15/01[/youtube]

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Watch this, I'm about to pwn you all:

[youtube="RRMz8fKkG2g"]Barber's Adagio for Strings - 9/15/01[/youtube]

Ahah, that's the kind of sad I was looking for, but I already knew that one (and all the really sad ones).

And what's with the vid, we had a war supervised by the US and A in which 200 000 out of our 3 million population got killed. So seriously, I don't give a fuck.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I had no idea who this was for, but I just remembered this song and youtubed it. I have listened to it since i can remember on the radio. Ahah cool. Definitely wouldn't be labeled as sad, but well...Probably brings back memories.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHM2b8T0E4I"]Karel Fialka - Hey Matthew[/YOUTUBE]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="otx49Ko3fxw"]Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy[/youtube]

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Songwise, I'd say Strange Fruit. Billie could be singing in a different language and you'd still feel the hurt. Although apparently Gloomy Sunday has the record for suicides.

Musicwise, there's quite a lot to choose from. I tend to go for passion to get the tears going rather than downers; where it's neither happiness or sadness that is experienced. I'll come back to you on this. There's a few that push the buttons.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Musicwise, there's quite a lot to choose from. I tend to go for passion to get the tears going rather than downers; where it's neither happiness or sadness that is experienced. I'll come back to you on this. There's a few that push the buttons.

That's what I meant, which is why I precised:

Most heart-trenching, tragic, dramatic, emotional song/music

Tedious downers with mushy unoriginal lyrics are not what I meant by 'saddest'.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Tedious downers with mushy unoriginal lyrics are not what I meant by 'saddest'.

I know. Hence why I wasn't talking about songs.

Nevertheless, it's important not to disregard songs that are steeped in context. If only for the potential learning that can be acquired. To connect to certain phrasing, unique tone or voice can be the catalyst to understanding and the enemy of cultural ignorance.

(not that you're overtly affirming the contrary)

Perhaps you could provide us with something from Spain? I don't think I have any Spanish music.

Scott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9/5?
I don't know that I can beat Barber's Adagio, but if you're not already familiar with it, I'd recommend:

Henryk Gorecki's Symphony no. 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs"

It has three movements, and at least some of them are too long for youtube, sadly. You can get a good taste of it from youtube at least though.

Part of the first movement (but not starting at the beginning and cutting off the very end, sadly):

YouTube - Symphony of Sorrowful Songs - Henryk Górecki - 1st movement

The beginning is a very gradual but very beautiful build up to a wonderful climax, that then is brought down leading into the singer at the beginning of that link.

Second movement:
YouTube - Gorecki Symphony No. 3 "Sorrowful Songs" - Lento e Largo

I'm sure you can find at least parts of the 3rd too if you want. I'd also encourage you to look up the context it was written in and a translation of the lyrics, at least if you like it. And of course, as with any song like this, only listen when you can give it the attention it deserves. Hope you enjoy!

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I know. Hence why I wasn't talking about songs.

Nevertheless, it's important not to disregard songs that are steeped in context. If only for the potential learning that can be acquired. To connect to certain phrasing, unique tone or voice can be the catalyst to understanding and the enemy of cultural ignorance.

(not that you're overtly affirming the contrary)

Perhaps you could provide us with something from Spain? I don't think I have any Spanish music.

Why Spain specifically ? There are none I recall from Spain, but here's one in Spanish I particularly enjoy:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCg_yoUXMbE"]De cara a la pared - Lhasa[/YOUTUBE]

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
From 30 seconds in, the King's College Choir:

[YOUTUBE="jZL3POaATn8"]Miserere Mei Deus[/YOUTUBE]

and

[YOUTUBE="qkGqJKR-32s"]Everyperson by John Frusciante[/YOUTUBE]

Both these feel similar to me, despite the disparity in styles.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
[YOUTUBE="TZHz8bEUkCU"]James Taylor - Fire and Rain[/YOUTUBE]