• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Shakespeare?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What's your favorite Shakespeare play?

I just stubbed my toe on my Norton Anthology of Shakespeare and I went to kick it in anger but then I thought of:

Titus Andronicus
Romeo and Juliet
King Lear
Measure for Measure

and my anger subsided. :heart:

What's you favorite play (or sonnet) by Billy Boy?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MacBeth
Hamlet
Measure for Measure
King Lear
Othello
A Midsummer's Night Dream

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I've only read three of them (for school.) I never got what the hype was about, but I did like Henry IV (part 1.)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Overrated in my book. But then...I may just have a bias. Being forced to read anything tends to make me look at it unfavorably.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've only read three of them (for school.) I never got what the hype was about, but I did like Henry IV (part 1.)

Shakespeare is not meant to be read. It should been seen in a performance. Ideally it's seen in a performance with skilled actors and not some high school play. Actually Shakespeare with bad actors is total crap, but Shakespeare with good actors is wonderful. :) Somewhere along the way English majors got the idea that Shakespeare is literature. I'm not really sure why since it's not good reading unless you are thinking about performing it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shakespeare is not meant to be read. It should been seen in a performance. Ideally it's seen in a performance with skilled actors and not some high school play. Actually Shakespeare with bad actors is total crap, but Shakespeare with good actors is wonderful. :) Somewhere along the way English majors got the idea that Shakespeare is literature. I'm not really sure why since it's not good reading unless you are thinking about performing it.

Uh huh.

The words spoken resonate; the words on the page do not. When I read Shakespeare, I speak it either aloud with my voice or aloud in my head, so I can "hear" it.

What is amazing is that you don't even totally have to understand all the words or their meaning, if the actors are good, because you still get a sense of what is being conveyed.

Beside that, Shakespeare is quite witty; many of the lines contain puns or spins or double meanings.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It would be difficult to decide between Hamlet and King Lear, but I think Hamlet takes it. Only by a fingernail, though.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In sooth I know not why I am so sad,
It wearies me, you say it wearies you?

The Merchant of Venice

O

Oberon

My favorite bit of Shakespeare ever:

If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

- Henry V, the St. Crispin's Day speech

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Othello for me, nothing can beat that story for making me weep as if my own loved one had been killed. :cry:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ

Even in play form (Which I have seen a few of), it doesn't stand out compared to other plays I've seen.

O

Oberon

What I love about Henry V is that Agincourt really happened, and really was as heroic as the play makes it out to be (albeit the dialog was most likely rather more earthy at the actual battle).

Some historians relate that Henry's archers fought naked from the waist down. Once the archers had been positioned, they had to stay and fight regardless...a prospect made more challenging by the fact that they all had dysentery.

Last edited:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Even in play form (Which I have seen a few of), it doesn't stand out compared to other plays I've seen.

For your sake I hope those plays you saw were high school or community theatre. If you don't like a Shakespeare play after seeing professional actors perform it, then all I can say is:

:headphne: :headphne: :headphne: :headphne: :headphne: :headphne:

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Coriolanus. Cymbeline. The Winter's Tale. The Taming of the Shrew. Much Ado About Nothing.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Coriolanus. Cymbeline. The Winter's Tale. The Taming of the Shrew. Much Ado About Nothing.

I forgot about Coriolanus!

I notice that the higher the body count the more I like the play. Maybe that explains why I kinda liked Shoot Em Up.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've only read 3 of his plays so far, and just finished Othello(I know I'm behind on the time since that was supposed to have been read in like high school), and never really appreciated his works until now. I think I just about love his plays now and am going to read more. Like the title says, what are some of your favorites and why?