User Tag List

First 384647484950 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Guns don't kill people, people have always killed people.
    Guns or nae, the killing has been done with rocks, swords, axes, bows, frying pans, knives, vegetables, poison, pieces of wood, pipes and everything imaginable since the very dawn of time.

It is intentions that kill people. Guns don't make it any easier.
    In fact, guns make our society secure, because they are so heavily regulated and if you find the bullet you can see which gun it has been fired from and catch the bad guy.
    Besides, governments will always have more guns than organized crime. Well, almost. And armies. That makes life harder for the scum.
    Besides, gun killings are loud. It is bound to be noticed.
    For example, tranquelizer/knife murders where the assailant quietly goes about his business and gets rid of the body are much harder to solve.
    Are you paraphrasing a certain ranting gryphon?
    Q: "What is the process of seeking the truth?"
    A: "Distilled liquor"

Q: "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?"
    A: "Between a starving prostitute and a steak sandwich."

Q:How would a mathematician capture an elephant?
    A:He would build a cage, step inside, and rename his new location as "outside."

MBTI
    INTJ

For practical carry, I like the Ruger LCP in .380 ACP. I have no intention of joining a multi-man shootout, so this six-round pocket-gun serves its purpose.

It has quite a kick, hence the nickname "Noisy Cricket" from MIB.

Oberon

I give this thread... LIFE!!!

Anybody here reload their own ammo?

MBTI
    INTJ

I buy and shoot reloaded ammo.

I would like to reload but the time required to do it is greater than the reward for me at this point. I've got some brass saved for the purpose, though. You do reload, I assume?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    You do reload, I assume?
    I reload, and I cast bullets too.

MBTI
    INTJ

Do you do those just because you enjoy them or do you find that the benefits really outweigh the time/cost expenditure?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Do you do those just because you enjoy them or do you find that the benefits really outweigh the time/cost expenditure?
    Cost?

For reloading: My used single-stage reloading press (a Texan) cost me $25 on e-Bay. Dies run typically $30 the set for Lee, which are good quality dies. Powder is between $20 and $30 per pound for the common types, which are all you need. Primers are about $30 per thousand.

For bullet casting: A brand new 20-pound Lee lead pot will run $75 more or less, and bullet molds range between $20 and $60 depending on what you're getting... used Lyman molds on e-Bay are the best bargain, typically $30 or so with handles included for a two-cavity mold. You can size and lube with a sizing set from Lee that mounts on that single-stage press for under $25, or for about a C-note you can get yourself a Lyman lubrisizer. I cast bullets from used wheel weights I get free from tire shops.

Cost savings: A box of factory .45 ACP ammunition from Remington or Winchester is somewhere north of $20 per box now, retail. When I reload with cast bullets, I can generate an equivalent box of reloaded ammunition for under $4. At that rate, it doesn't take long to make your expenses back.

In the meantime, it has become not only a fun hobby, but also a source of extra income. People buy my bullets (not reloaded cartridges, just the cast bullets). So yeah, I do it for the fun and for the money.

Oberon

It has also been a source of some minor professional accomplishment... I have designed bullets before.

Oberon

And guns are better than World Cup soccer any day.

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I give this thread... LIFE!!!

Anybody here reload their own ammo?
    I reload my own ammo. I have a Rock Chucker single stage press.

So far, I've only reloaded .44 WCF and .45-70 both in smokeless and black powder. I save all of my brass though for the time when I have dies for all of my various ammo.