User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Just a wee bit. :blushing:
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I haven't either, but its weight is a tactical drawback.
    Depends on the shooter.

But if you can get three 9mm off (Say with the G19, which is exceptionally suited to rapid fire) and on target for every one in .357 though, which wouldn't be difficult, it's outweighed.
    Thats the same as saying if you can get one .357 on target for every 3 shots with a 9mm.

It wouldn't be difficult to shoot somone once with a .357 either, since if you're at the point of pulling your pistol, the assailant is probably pretty close.

If your aim is good, all you'd need is one shot.

I don't have anything against the 9mm by far, but I hate how everyone assumes its the best caliber to get. Its basically like saying quantity over quality, imo.

In reality, the caliber stated to be the best for self-defense would probably be the .40 S&W. It gives the perfect balance between the 9mm and larger calibers such as the .45 ACP.

Even for a nightstand gun, no one uses something like a DE, for good reason. A 4" Taurus revolver in .357 would be superior.
    I'm just saying that it could be used in the hands of someone who was familiar with it. I agree its impractical.

But its the same as saying that a .22 pistol could be used effectively in the right hands. Hell, Masaad and the mafia proved that one.

And yeah, I'd love a Taurus.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    But its the same as saying that a .22 pistol could be used effectively in the right hands. Hell, Masaad and the mafia proved that one.
    That's a different issue. If you're hiding in the shadows waiting to take out a known target, there are actual advantages to a .22 over larger rounds. In self defense, when you don't know when and how a threat will arise, it's dreadful.

ByMySword

Cool

That's a different issue. If you're hiding in the shadows waiting to take out a known target, there are actual advantages to a .22 over larger rounds. In self defense, when you don't know when and how a threat will arise, it's dreadful.
    .22 calibers were used in the Civil War on open battlefields.

And during the Masaad operations against Black September, there were several open gunfights where .22s where used.

Also, there are people with smaller hands, such as women, who carry .22s as self defense weapons. Look at the Beretta Bobcat. Its kickass.

I'm not saying its ideal at all, but what I'm saying is in the hands of a skilled gunfighter, he can use what he has to be effective.

As for the .22 caliber, if I was going to use one for self defense, I'd prefer Stingers.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    .22 calibers were used in the Civl War on open battlefields.
    So were smoothbore muskets.

I don't know, if it's me, I'll take the most appropriate choice...

ByMySword

Cool

So were smoothbore muskets.
    I have one and its suprisingly accurate.

I don't know, if it's me, I'll take the most appropriate choice...
    Obviously, so would I.

But don't underestimate any weapon's effectiveness under the right circumstances or in the hands of someone familiar with it.

Thats all I'm saying.

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I've shot everything from a .22LR to a .50 cal Machine gun, but my favorite still has to be my Winchester 30-30 Lever.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    I've shot everything from a .22LR to a .50 cal Machine gun, but my favorite still has to be my Winchester 30-30 Lever.
    Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!

Winchester 1894 motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!

The original smokeless powder cartridge!!!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    INTJ

A .22 isn't as bad as a lot of people think, though. The basically zero recoil is a big advantage for people with very little shooting experience and it's potential lack of exit wound and internal ricochet damage can cause problems. Also, you severely limit your potential for shooting someone else on accident, either by missing or going through the first person to hit the second.

With that said, I probably wouldn't want anything less than a .40 or .45, although a 9mm would work. Of course, the best home defense weapon would be a shotgun, so it's really irrelevant.

It's kind of like comparing the 5.56x45 round with the 7.62x39. The latter produces much larger wounds and has obvious advantages in many occasions, but the former has a propensity for tumbling upon impact which can cause major internal damage.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Banned
    MBTI
    type

.22 LR is known to overpenetrate, or so I've heard. 9mm JHP is well balanced in ballistics and ease of use. I looked at tons of studies before I decided to get a 9, I could've easily gone .40.