User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I bet the psychological effect in a gunfight would be extraordinary.
    hypothetically, i think that would depend on whether your opponents knew anything about firearms... it could have the opposite effect

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Desert Eagles are silly range/movie guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    hypothetically, i think that would depend on whether your opponents knew anything about firearms... it could have the opposite effect
    Exactly. If someone pulls a DE on you, it's a near guarantee that they won't be able to hit you if you just move around a little. Because they don't know much about firearms.

I have a Glock 19, and a lot of research and thought went into the decision. It's compact, light, reliable, ergonomic, and easy to use under stress--The time when being able to use a gun is most important.

I sold my HK USP45 to buy it, which just never felt natural in my hand.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    I don't know. Thats like saying a semi-automatic shotgun has more of a psychological effect than a pump shotgun.

Even if you know the semi-automatic has a higher rate of fire, the sound of a pump shotgun has been proven to instill fear in anyone. I know it would me.

In a gunfight, knowledge fades. Its pure instinct.

That sound has been programmed to instill fear in us by cinema and tv. Same with large and powerful guns in general.

Thats one of the main reasons why law enforcement still maintains its use of pump shotguns.

Besides, a Desert Eagle, while a large and heavy handgun, could still be used effectively. It just depends on what caliber it comes in. The Desert Eagle ranges in caliber, from .357 Magnum to .50 Action Express.

While the .50 would definitely be too much, I could definitely get used to the .357 or the .44 Mag. And the fact that its so big would probably mean the gun absorbs most of the recoil, allowing for a steadier hand and more accurate shots.

Of course, I haven't shot one yet personally, so I wouldn't know about the recoil.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Desert Eagles are silly range/movie guns.
    For the most part, yes, they're not used by military or law enforcement.

They're used mainly for sport, target shooting, and hunting.

Still a neat gun. I hope to have one someday.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    watch the movie Snatch if you haven't already seen it...
    Its on my to-do list.

MBTI
    ISTP

The M1911 is my personal pistol of choice, although I've shot a few others. Can't wait to move out of NJ so I can actually shoot/carry/own weapons without the draconian laws and hassle required to get this one.

I'd like to pick up a nice rifle soon as well, although that's probably waiting until I get out of state (Aiming to move to VT or NH.)

Also, this being the Gun Thread, Lord of War is a great movie. For a nice piece of trivia about it, the scene where they're walking through the warehouse of AK-47s, they bought real ones, because they were cheaper than making props...
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    While the .50 would definitely be too much, I could definitely get used to the .357 or the .44 Mag. And the fact that its so big would probably mean the gun absorbs most of the recoil, allowing for a steadier hand and more accurate shots.

Of course, I haven't shot one yet personally, so I wouldn't know about the recoil.
    I haven't either, but its weight is a tactical drawback. Caliber effectiveness can be argued, and a defense load in .357 is nothing to sneeze at. But if you can get three 9mm off (Say with the G19, which is exceptionally suited to rapid fire) and on target for every one in .357 though, which wouldn't be difficult, it's outweighed. Even for a nightstand gun, no one uses something like a DE, for good reason. A 4" Taurus revolver in .357 would be superior.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    The M1911 is my personal pistol of choice, although I've shot a few others.
    As far as semi-automatics go, I agree. Although every time I shoot it, I have to get used to the recoil all over again.

I would say that it does suck as far as concealed carry goes. You can do it, of course, but it can get to be a hassle.

My father carries his concealed and he agrees that it can become uncomfortable.

Best thing to do if you're going to carry it concealed is to get a compact version. It'll probably be much easier.

I'm probably going to get one of those, as well as a standard and a long-slide model.

Also, this being the Gun Thread, Lord of War is a great movie. For a nice piece of trivia about it, the scene where they're walking through the warehouse of AK-47s, they bought real ones, because they were cheaper than making props...
    Loved the guns. The movie was.....ok.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

All I know is the M9 Beretta is not my handgun of choice. I haven't gotten to play around with any arms outside of the ones the military provide me with. It doesn't feel natural, it's heavy and the magazines are SUCH a pain in the ass to load.

I can say if you all get the chance to fire a 240B you should. I had a lot of fun with that weapon, and it's almost too easy to operate and aim (In my personal experience I liked it better than the M249 SAW) for the amount of damage it's capable of dealing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I can say if you all get the chance to fire a 240B you should. I had a lot of fun with that weapon, and it's almost too easy to operate and aim (In my personal experience I liked it better than the M249 SAW) for the amount of damage it's capable of dealing.
    But unless you work for the gov't, it's a bit difficult to get your hands on one.