User Tag List

123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Joe Satriani sues Coldplay over plagiarism.

Guitarist accuses Coldplay of plagiarism

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) Rock guitarist Joe Satriani has sued British band Coldplay, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed on Thursday in Los Angeles federal court, claims the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly."

The 52-year-old guitar virtuoso is seeking a jury trial, damages and "any and all profits" attributable to the alleged copyright infringement.
    Guitarist accuses Coldplay of plagiarism - Yahoo! News

[YOUTUBE="1ofFw9DKu_I"]Did Coldplay copy Joe Satriani?[/YOUTUBE]

I was amused by this. I really don't like Coldplay.

MBTI
    LoLz

Wow. They do sound similar.

I love Joe! :X I used to be in a Team Fortress Classic clan named Joe Satriani. My name in the clan was [JS]RaspberryJamDelta-V

Hah. It would be just like Coldplay to take the teeth out of anything they copied.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    STUF

They should reconcile and combine forces, it doesn't sound too bad when combined.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Hah. It would be just like Coldplay to take the teeth out of anything they copied.
    RIGHT!? Two of my good friends are Coldplay fans, and they were defending them this morning. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to deny. It would be different if it was some unsigned club act that claimed that Martin had come to one of his shows, but I think it's entirely possible that a group of musicians is familiar with Satriani. It's probably more a case of having a song in your head and not realizing you didn't write it--that's kind of the danger of writing melodies. Sometimes you don't know if it sounds good because you've come up with something brilliant, or if it sounds good because it sounds familiar--you've heard it before, but can't place it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

*HISS* The perfection of the Satch must not be contaminated by the wimpiness of Gwynnie's boyfriend's band, no no no.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I assume they had legal authorization to steal all the melodies from Kraftwerk's Computer Love.

YouTube - Coldplay - Talk

YouTube - Kraftwerk - Computer Love

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I assume they had legal authorization to steal all the melodies from Kraftwerk's Computer Love.

YouTube - Coldplay - Talk

YouTube - Kraftwerk - Computer Love
    Holy crap! Does Coldplay ever come up with any original ideas? I mean, most of their stuff is U2 Lite anyway, but wow.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow...yeah that's pretty difficult to deny. The sounds [both songs, by the way, seriously!] are way too similar to say that it wasn't plagarized. I mean, stuff like this could happen without really realizing that it's been done, but hell you can't sit there and say they sound nothing alike. It's nearly identical...
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    infp

They sound the same, but really... if everyone sued everyone who had a song that sounded the same, the music industry would collapse. You know how they say there are only a dozen or so storylines in all of literature, and everything is a variation of one or several of these basic storylines? I think music is the same, except there are more than a dozen things. But pretty much all songs are some kind of combination and interpretation of only so many progressions and melodies.

But let the law do it's thang, I guess. Maybe Satch needs to pay off his insurance debt or something, I don't know.