• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joe Satriani sues Coldplay over plagiarism.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
RIGHT!? Two of my good friends are Coldplay fans, and they were defending them this morning. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to deny. It would be different if it was some unsigned club act that claimed that Martin had come to one of his shows, but I think it's entirely possible that a group of musicians is familiar with Satriani. It's probably more a case of having a song in your head and not realizing you didn't write it--that's kind of the danger of writing melodies. Sometimes you don't know if it sounds good because you've come up with something brilliant, or if it sounds good because it sounds familiar--you've heard it before, but can't place it.

I had a piece of music in my head for many years that's not too great, but I've always remembered it and the words I put to it. I thought I wrote it. However, one day I pulled an old football clips video I used to watch as a kid, and there it was.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMHO

Whether they took the tune intentionally or inadvertently is more up for debate (rather) than whether they should compromise with an apology and percentage of the profits owing to the unmistakable similarity between the songs (because -I think- they clearly should).

They have a number of catchy tunes I enjoy and are fairly popular worldwide. But if they want to maintain their popularity, they should uphold their credibility by 1) apologizing 2) making amends as best they can 3) improving their personal review process to prevent it from happening again.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Dude must be hurting for money haha. Sounds pretty similar, but it's a shame because it could happen to anyone... Sometimes those flukes happen where two people coincidentally create a like portion of a song. Who knows.

I like Joe Satriani and Coldplay.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Holy crap! Does Coldplay ever come up with any original ideas? I mean, most of their stuff is U2 Lite anyway, but wow.

These days it's U2 Lite--back on their first couple records it was Radiohead Lite.

Now it's overproduced Radiohead+Satch Lite. Wonderful. At least Matt Bellamy of Muse accepts how similar he sounds to Thom Yorke and revels in his obvious absurdity. He clearly doesn't take himself so god damned seriously, but people just can't get enough of Coldplay's gee-shucks-nice-plain-British-guy charm. What gives?

Oh, but did you hear singer/keyboardist Chris Martin's public declaration that he owes his entire career to Yorke?

That's honestly something I have to respect the man for.

P.S.,
Anybody notice Coldplay's "Spies" + Radiohead's "Exit Music (For a Film)"?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I won't tolerate c-play hate. :(

Influences are influences, try to name a band that doesn't have definitive influences in this day and age... Good luck. I would put bands like coldplay and radiohead in the same genre, but claiming they're clones is different.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Totally stoeld.

Just like the Chili Peppers stoeld that Tom Petty song.
It's not like a repeating pattern with a common chord progression is likely to pop up somewhere else.

Stoeld.

Also, fuck Coldplay.
Seriously guys, what the fuck?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Haha, I guess if Pachabel were alive, he'd be rolling in dough from all the lawsuits.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't see why a very popular band would blatantly rip off another popular artist. People know (or should know) that that stuff doesn't fly for long.

I'm not a composer or whatever but I could see how someone could store a musical piece they've heard in their subconscious and then maybe stumbled back onto it, by randomly hitting a few notes/chords that jog their memory back onto the piece and then just assumed that they've created something new. Doesn't seem far fetched to me.