User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    RIGHT!? Two of my good friends are Coldplay fans, and they were defending them this morning. In my opinion, it's pretty hard to deny. It would be different if it was some unsigned club act that claimed that Martin had come to one of his shows, but I think it's entirely possible that a group of musicians is familiar with Satriani. It's probably more a case of having a song in your head and not realizing you didn't write it--that's kind of the danger of writing melodies. Sometimes you don't know if it sounds good because you've come up with something brilliant, or if it sounds good because it sounds familiar--you've heard it before, but can't place it.
    I had a piece of music in my head for many years that's not too great, but I've always remembered it and the words I put to it. I thought I wrote it. However, one day I pulled an old football clips video I used to watch as a kid, and there it was.

Default IMHO

Whether they took the tune intentionally or inadvertently is more up for debate (rather) than whether they should compromise with an apology and percentage of the profits owing to the unmistakable similarity between the songs (because -I think- they clearly should).

They have a number of catchy tunes I enjoy and are fairly popular worldwide. But if they want to maintain their popularity, they should uphold their credibility by 1) apologizing 2) making amends as best they can 3) improving their personal review process to prevent it from happening again.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP

I think Dave Matthews sounds slightly more constipated.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ISTx

Dude must be hurting for money haha. Sounds pretty similar, but it's a shame because it could happen to anyone... Sometimes those flukes happen where two people coincidentally create a like portion of a song. Who knows.

I like Joe Satriani and Coldplay.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Interesting. Either way Joe's is better, lol.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I thought Coldplay was Dave Matthews for two years.
    What the hell? Music hates you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Holy crap! Does Coldplay ever come up with any original ideas? I mean, most of their stuff is U2 Lite anyway, but wow.
    These days it's U2 Lite--back on their first couple records it was Radiohead Lite.

Now it's overproduced Radiohead+Satch Lite. Wonderful. At least Matt Bellamy of Muse accepts how similar he sounds to Thom Yorke and revels in his obvious absurdity. He clearly doesn't take himself so god damned seriously, but people just can't get enough of Coldplay's gee-shucks-nice-plain-British-guy charm. What gives?

Oh, but did you hear singer/keyboardist Chris Martin's public declaration that he owes his entire career to Yorke?

That's honestly something I have to respect the man for.

P.S.,
    Anybody notice Coldplay's "Spies" + Radiohead's "Exit Music (For a Film)"?

MBTI
    ISTx

I won't tolerate c-play hate.

Influences are influences, try to name a band that doesn't have definitive influences in this day and age... Good luck. I would put bands like coldplay and radiohead in the same genre, but claiming they're clones is different.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I assume they had legal authorization to steal all the melodies from Kraftwerk's Computer Love.

YouTube - Coldplay - Talk

YouTube - Kraftwerk - Computer Love
    They're not stealing if it's credited.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Totally stoeld.

Just like the Chili Peppers stoeld that Tom Petty song.
    It's not like a repeating pattern with a common chord progression is likely to pop up somewhere else.

Stoeld.

Also, fuck Coldplay.
    Seriously guys, what the fuck?
    we fukin won boys