• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's Type MLB Players

theplacesyoullgo

I've been giving this some thought for a while. Not sure how popular baseball is on these forums, but please do give the guys on your team a shot. I'd love to hear feedback on my typing, too, assuming people even know who the heck I'm talking about. I'd imagine the sensing + feeling combination is very prevalent in sports.

Current/Former New York Yankees:
Derek Jeter: ESFP (possibly T)
Alex Rodriguez: ISFJ - but would love to be a T
Jorge Posada: ESF(?)
David Cone: ESFP
Jason Giambi: ESFP
Mike Mussina: INTJ (very strong on all four)
Andy Pettitte: ISF(?)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
On the Yankees. I could see your posada typing, of all the yankees' I've probably seen his more personal interviews the most. He's not popular enough to have to be completely fake in front of the cameras, although I hate him on the field IRL he seems pretty nice. His wife is hot as hell too, I'm extremely jealous.

Jeter seems more T to me, he really doesn't engage much of his personal side on camera, and doesn't seem to care. I think popularity with him is definitely something that makes typing him more challenging. Too many ulterior things with him. He's a bit of a show boat and thinks a lot of his appearance both on and off the field so that may skew things.

Redsox
JD Drew: ISFJ
Pedroia: ENXP (definite extrovert, loves cracking jokes that are self deprecating as well as dishing out on others, cocky, reflective, determined, Napoleon complex).
Ortiz: ESFP (Spanish makes it harder to determine S or N, definite feeler, extraverted perception seems accurate).

theplacesyoullgo

I was on the fence with Jeter's F/T. He does seem awfully calculated in general, but quotes I've read from him in print strike me as F, even if he strikes me during his interviews as T. Like you said, there are too many artificial layers too really analyze him properly.

The only one I have 99% confidence in is Mussina (happy trails to him...). You can spot the NT from a mile away.

As for the Sox:
Papelbon: ESF(?, probably P) - strikes me as very strong on E, S, F
Schilling: ESTJ. Possibly N.
Beckett: ?SF?

Some others:
Tom Glavine: ESTJ
Randy Johnson: ISTJ

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Beckett's another hard one to type. A little bit of that Jeter effect. He's a cocky bastard for sure, keeps most of his interviews short and comes of T, but you can't tell how artificial that is. I heard he had a jacket in highschool that had Phenom printed on the back. He was definitely that asshole jock. He does seem sort of reserved in real life, kind of secluded. Surprising lack of awareness of how caustic he can come off. I heard hes a good guy though but I could definitely see hating him If he weren't a redsox player.

Paps is deff ESFJ. I heard a story of where he snuck out of his mom's house when he was a kid and he left a little sorry note about leaving the house. He's definitely not the smartest, and more of a quick decisive type guy. That's probably why a closer's role is best for him. He doesn't cope well when he has to constantly adjust. You can tell when he gets asked tough questions in interviews.

Johnson is definitely IXTJ. He is extremely derisive ( I guess athleticism and fame can skew some of these things). Most certainly not a feeler, definite introvert.

Schilling seems more S to me, he doesn't see to many future contradictions, though that could be more to his J nature. Suffers from a lot of foot in mouth disease.

Jeter I could see being F more of the field, but I've never really seen to much of him that I would really take as true to him. If I have it's probably somewhat forgotten due to how much of a fake persona he displays to the media.

What are your thoughts on Girardi and Francona?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ian Kinsler: ISFP
Josh Hamilton: ESTP
Gerald Laird: ESFP
Michael Young: ISTJ

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Young as ISTJ sounds good to me. From seeing his persona and the way he goes about interviews and practice and his game. I can see that definitely.

Hamilton I see as a definite extrovert, don't see too much J. T or F or S or N is hard since I haven't seen to many interviews. His drug issues may have forced him to change how strong he normally acts though, so that may be a consideration to take.

theplacesyoullgo

HAH, I was going to make the really bad joke that I can't see beyond the JERK type to get Beckett's MBTI type. I'll admit that I'm a New York fan, but I'm actually pretty rational when discussing players from rival teams. Beckett's annoyed me since he was on the Marlins.

Yeah, Schilling has the classic SJ/guardian thing. His political rants have a kind of fatherly twist to them.

I think Johnson has to be S. Not analytical enough to be a rational type. I think there are very few Ns in baseball. The very nature of the job lends itself to sensors. I can't think of more than one N player, although you mentioned Pedroia (don't know enough about him to make a guess). Can anyone think of other intuitives?

I think Girardi is ESTJ and pretty strong on all four. I don't know enough about Francona to make a very accurate guess, but my gut tells me I(?)TJ. N/S is usually the easiest distinction for me to make, but like I said, I just don't know enough about the guy.

Hamilton strikes me as a very standard ESFP.

One more thing: I think most players are sensors anyway, but I think the ones who hang on for what the public would deem too long are almost definitely sensors. Maddux, Glavine, Schilling, Johnson. Very in the moment, not as much concern for future implications.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Jeter seems like an ESFP. All the way.

I think Cone is an ENFP. Something about him makes me feel that way.

Schilling comes off ESTJ-ish with a strong N. Maybe an ENTJ.

I agree with the rest.

Big Papi - ESFP

Now I want to know what Matt Kemp's type is? I think he's an INFP/INFJ. Any thoughts?

theplacesyoullgo

I was on the fence with N/S with Cone. His commentary often seems N-ish and resonates well with me (I'm a strong N), but his extreme wild ways during his playing days (drinking, drugs, supposedly jerking off in the bullpen) made me think "prototypical ESFP." Either way, I think the N/S is close.

Schilling's little fetish with the military seems very SJ, specifically STJ to me. I also know a bit about him personally through a friend's experiences with him (I'll leave it at that...) and don't see him as an ENTJ. I think he'd also be a better judge of how people would respond to his ill-advised comments if he were an ENTJ.

soleil, unfortunately I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all things NL, sans the Mets. Speaking of the Mets - thoughts on David Wright?

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I was on the fence with N/S with Cone. His commentary often seems N-ish and resonates well with me (I'm a strong N), but his extreme wild ways during his playing days (drinking, drugs, supposedly jerking off in the bullpen) made me think "prototypical ESFP." Either way, I think the N/S is close.

Schilling's little fetish with the military seems very SJ, specifically STJ to me. I also know a bit about him personally through a friend's experiences with him (I'll leave it at that...) and don't see him as an ENTJ.

soleil, unfortunately I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all things NL, sans the Mets. Speaking of the Mets - thoughts on David Wright?

LMAO! I never heard of Cone beating his meat. WTH :D. Wow, maybe he was trying to be one of the guys or something. Yeah, the N/S seems rather close.

I thought about it & I take back Schilling being an ENTJ. That was a reach.

David Wright seems like an ISFP/J. Hmm, he seems like an introvert. I have to think about that a little more.

Are you a Yankee fan? I'm a loyal Met fan...:yes:

There really doesn't seem to be a lot of intuitives in baseball or in sports as a whole. Can you think of any N's in any sport? I am curious.

theplacesyoullgo

As I understand it, some Mets groupies brought a sexual harassment case against Cone for supposedly masturbating in the Shea bullpen in front of them prior to a game (assuming you've been to Shea, you'd know the logistics of this are rather questionable!). He was also charged with rape when he was on the Mets. I believe both cases were dropped, but he was definitely a party animal. That's not to say that an ENFP couldn't be, but this behavior just fit the ESFP stereotype so well that I assumed he was an S.

I agree that Wright seems like an I - but he would like to be an E. Don't know about the rest, could see ISFJ. Kind of a reluctant leader, seems to have his life together.

And yep, Yankee fan here.

There really doesn't seem to be a lot of intuitives in baseball or in sports as a whole. Can you think of any N's in any sport? I am curious.

I'm unfamiliar with players' personalities outside of baseball, but I think the nature of baseball - or any sport - is very sensor-oriented. As for baseball, as I listed above, I think Mussina was quite NT (specifically INTJ) and was always a bit of an oddball in an SFJ/SFP world. His decision to retire because he knew it wasn't going to get any better, physically or mentally, than 2008 during the time it would take him to get 300 wins, is very NT. Perfectionistic tendencies, etc. An S probably would have tried to stretch it out "one more year."

Aimahn listed Dustin Pedroia as an N, but I don't know enough about him to make that distinction myself. Other than that, I can't think of any blatant Ns in the game.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
As I understand it, some Mets groupies brought a sexual harassment case against Cone for supposedly masturbating in the Shea bullpen in front of them prior to a game (assuming you've been to Shea, you'd know the logistics of this are rather questionable!). He was also charged with rape when he was on the Mets. I believe both cases were dropped, but he was definitely a party animal. That's not to say that an ENFP couldn't be, but this behavior just fit the ESFP stereotype so well that I assumed he was an S.

I agree that Wright seems like an I - but he would like to be an E. Don't know about the rest, could see ISFJ. Kind of a reluctant leader, seems to have his life together.

And yep, Yankee fan here.

I'm unfamiliar with players' personalities outside of baseball, but I think the nature of baseball - or any sport - is very sensor-oriented. As for baseball, as I listed above, I think Mussina was quite NT (specifically INTJ) and was always a bit of an oddball in an SFJ/SFP world. His decision to retire because he knew it wasn't going to get any better, physically or mentally, than 2008 during the time it would take him to get 300 wins, is very NT. Perfectionistic tendencies, etc. An S probably would have tried to stretch it out "one more year."

Aimahn listed Dustin Pedroia as an N, but I don't know enough about him to make that distinction myself. Other than that, I can't think of any blatant Ns in the game.

Ughh! I never knew about Cone's sexual escapades. You know what...I take it back! LOL. ESFP he is. :D

Mussina, I believe is an N for sure. Something in his eyes. I just got that vibe from him.

Pedroia, I could see him as an N, but I also would have to look more into it.

Who is your favorite Yank?

theplacesyoullgo

Despite the former sexcapades, I find Cone incredibly charismatic. I think he had a "good boy gone bad" thing going on.

Current Yankee? I guess Jeter, as stereotypical as that sounds. Don't find him remotely attractive though. My favorite Yankees from my youth are gone (Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill). I loved Moose for years and was sad to see him retire. A-Rod's a great player, but it's hilarious to see how unlikeable and uncharismatic he really is when he so obviously wants to be charming.

Do you have a favorite player?

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Despite the former sexcapades, I find Cone incredibly charismatic. I think he had a "good boy gone bad" thing going on.

Current Yankee? I guess Jeter, as stereotypical as that sounds. Don't find him remotely attractive though. My favorite Yankees from my youth are gone (Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill). I loved Moose for years and was sad to see him retire. A-Rod's a great player, but it's hilarious to see how unlikeable and uncharismatic he really is when he so obviously wants to be charming.

Do you have a favorite player?

Maybe Cone just was going through something. He seems so different now or maybe it's because I had no idea what he was doing behind closed doors. I thought he was a great pitcher both in the Mets & Yankees. I loved the Mets back in the day with Hojo, Gooden, Darling, etc.. I was a youngin back then, but I still remember the good ol' days.

It seems like every chick fines Jeter attractive or "sexy". He just does not do one thing for me...at all. A-Rod on the other hand, is a great player...one of the best players I would say, but he is lacking that x-factor. I liked him much better when he was in Seattle. I liked Paul O'Neil a lot. He had that intimidating look to him.

Manny Ramirez is one of my favorite players. I watched him throughout his whole career. He's just a beast. Solid, consistent player. I wish he would come to the Mets, that would be so sweet, but very expensive.

Who's your favorite player? Who is your favorite pitcher?

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Khalil Greene - ISTP

Jake Peavy - ESTJ

Adrian Gonzalez - ENFP

Brian Giles - ESFP

Trevor Hoffman - xSTJ

That's all I can really remember from when I used to pay attention to MLB.

Manny Ramirez is one of my favorite players. I watched him throughout his whole career. He's just a beast. Solid, consistent player. I wish he would come to the Mets, that would be so sweet, but very expensive.

:shock:

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Manny Ramirez = ENFP

Chad Billingsley = INFP

Jason Schmidt = Alien

Chan Ho Park = ENTJ

Russell Martin = INTP

Jeff Kent = ISTJ

Manny rules. Still one of the few players who was successful by merely watching the ball. Only Ichiro and Garciappara have been that successful in recent years using that method.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I'm sure you enjoyed Manny Ramirez too....

Manny is awesome.

Its been a while since we've had a true blue superstar on the Dodgers.

If I had to choose between a doped Manny, a doped Roger Clemens, and a doped Mark McGwire, I would take Manny if the media didn't come into the factor. But I would consider Roger Clemens if the media did matter, since Clemens would get less media negativity. Of course, I could care less about that because baseball is baseball. ;)

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Hell, I'd take Manny over Barry Bonds too.

Manny over AROD

The only person I'd consider of equal value to Manny would be Pedro or Randy Johnson during the early 2000's. AROD or Pujols is arguably of similiar value too.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Hell, I'd take Manny over Barry Bonds too.

Manny over AROD

The only person I'd consider of equal value to Manny would be Pedro or Randy Johnson during the early 2000's. AROD or Pujols is arguably of similiar value too.

Manny is awesome.

Its been a while since we've had a true blue superstar on the Dodgers.

If I had to choose between a doped Manny, a doped Roger Clemens, and a doped Mark McGwire, I would take Manny if the media didn't come into the factor. But I would consider Roger Clemens if the media did matter, since Clemens would get less media negativity. Of course, I could care less about that because baseball is baseball. ;)

Baseball is Baseball when the players that are playing are in the same health conditions, and at the same standards that are set.

I'd only somewhat appreciate Manny Ramirez in the American Leauge, where he could be a Designated Hitter, rather than have him take his time in Left Field. But if I remember right, he was in Left Field most of the time when he was on the Red Sox.

There's been many "true blue superstars" on the Dodgers in last few
years.

And you're comparing pitchers to players...